SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wharton

tomphil

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Injuries aside i'm certain this lad would have been a first team regular by now if it wasn't for clown pants Coyle loading his rubbish on the books like Brown and pushing him down the pecking order.

The guy is 19 and hardly Jon Terry by all accounts. What is all of this "first-team" talk? I think many folk on here take reality out of all proportion and just use anything as a stick to beat the club with.

Good to see us keeping our academy players in the mix. For all Rovers' failings and farces over the years, I think we've got a very good young team coming into the fold. Exciting times ahead.

7 minutes ago, Phil T said:

The guy is 19 and hardly Jon Terry by all accounts. What is all of this "first-team" talk? I think many folk on here take reality out of all proportion and just use anything as a stick to beat the club with.

Good to see us keeping our academy players in the mix. For all Rovers' failings and farces over the years, I think we've got a very good young team coming into the fold. Exciting times ahead.

Who's beating the club ?  Beating Owen Coyle more like I think folk just don't read posts properly and look for a superfan way to jump on anything that doesn't agree and just scream Rovers rah rah rah.

He was on the fringes early last season then got sidelined then loaned out whilst defensive berths in the squad got filled by the likes of Greer ( fair enough back up ) and Brown ( another stich up probably ) .  I don't think i'm alone in think young Scott could have made a contribution at least equalling if not bettering anything from those two over the course of the season given the bits we'd seen of him.

4 minutes ago, tomphil said:

He was on the fringes early last season then got sidelined then loaned out whilst defensive berths in the squad got filled by the likes of Greer ( fair enough back up ) and Brown ( another stich up probably ) .  I don't think i'm alone in think young Scott could have made a contribution at least equalling if not bettering anything from those two over the course of the season given the bits we'd seen of him.

Tenner bet says he woulda showed more heart than Wes Brown anyway.

Just now, Give 'Em the Axe said:

Tenner bet says he woulda showed more heart than Wes Brown anyway.

Wes is too busy wearing his baseball cap back to front 90's style and leading Wayne Rooney astray these days to care about his little Rovers adventure.

Just now, tomphil said:

Wes is too busy wearing his baseball cap back to front 90's style and leading Wayne Rooney astray these days to care about his little Rovers adventure.

So it was a poor decision by the manager to send him out then? Not an "enforced" decision because of his contract issues (according to some discussion I missed, that I was belittled for questioning!)..

2 minutes ago, Biz said:

So it was a poor decision by the manager to send him out then? Not an "enforced" decision because of his contract issues (according to some discussion I missed, that I was belittled for questioning!)..

Doesn't really matter because either way it was detrimental to the squad in my opinion.

Besides is it not remotely possible that there was a contract conflict of some sort and Coyle recommended loaning him out instead of resolving it or paying what was in it so they could use him ?

Or is that too much for your anti conspiracy radar to comprehend ?

20 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Besides is it not remotely possible that there was a contract conflict of some sort and Coyle recommended loaning him out instead of resolving it or paying what was in it so they could use him ?

Or is that too much for your anti conspiracy radar to comprehend ?

Asking questions and not believing everything you read, is not having an "anti conspiracy" radar. 

I'm not sure what you want me to say, neither of us know exactly why he made that decision - and to be honest, it's not unusual to think "conflict of interest" when venkys/Coyle/Sem are concerned. The difference is, it made no sense with an 18 year old centreback, I doubt even our vacuous structure and board would allow huge wage rises/performance related changes for academy graduates.

In relation to the accepted "fact" that Wharton was one performance away from an extension/pay rise - questioning this doesn't make me a "super fan" or head in sand (your words). It just stunk of a rehashed version of the "Salgado story", with less substance. Older player, "pay as you play" on a decent basic wedge, with a big performance bonus... the rumour makes sense in that context.

47 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

A new thread already headed in one direction.

Pleased that Rovers have given the lad the new contract.

Just remember the reason... ;)

Good news though, in principle, if there has been a genuine contract issue preventing him playing then if it has been overcome we should hopefully see him in and around the first team.

7 minutes ago, Biz said:

Asking questions and not believing everything you read, is not having an "anti conspiracy" radar. 

I'm not sure what you want me to say, neither of us know exactly why he made that decision - and to be honest, it's not unusual to think "conflict of interest" when venkys/Coyle/Sem are concerned. The difference is, it made no sense with an 18 year old centreback, I doubt even our vacuous structure and board would allow huge wage rises/performance related changes for academy graduates.

In relation to the accepted "fact" that Wharton was one performance away from an extension/pay rise - questioning this doesn't make me a "super fan" or head in sand (your words). It just stunk of a rehashed version of the "Salgado story", with less substance. Older player, "pay as you play" on a decent basic wedge, with a big performance bonus... the rumour makes sense in that context.

As always the truth is likely to be somewhere in the middle as because of the huge vacuum you mention at Rovers nothing is straightforward and potential for manipulation of situations is multi layered right from the very top. Given that it's almost impossible to lay blame for certain things in one direction and that's what leads to all the various scenarios of suspicion. 

One good thing here it seems to have been resolved before we lose another young player with potential. However i wouldn't be surprised if he gets loaned out again as TM has brought in his back up now but I'll back him on that if it goes that way because at least some well paid agency connected has been isn't blocking his way in the squad and it would clearly be a football decision now we know his contract is sorted.

Somehow think we might need him though ive a feeling we are going a long way in the Checktrade !

Archived