BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wimbledon

Tom

• Backroom

I never did like Wimbledon after that time we were due to play them at Ewood and it got called off just before kickoff due to a waterlogged pitch. Jones and Holdsworth then seemed to try their best to damage the pitch sliding on it and the like.

Anyway we are due to play them in some form or other this weekend.

I also don't like this guy 

20150927152418!Haydon-AFCWimbledon.JPG

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will always remember Wimbledon for their FA Cup victory over the Dingles when still a non league team.

The Wombles had songs in the charts and a group of us walked round the town centre pubs in Burnley playing the songs non stop on the juke boxes.

They cottoned on eventually and nearly caught us :D

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15536487._There_are_many_things_you_throw_in_to_the_melting_pot____Rovers_boss_considering_changes_despite_run_of_four_consecutive_wins/?ref=mac

"It’s about getting the balance between naming a team who is confident and one that is winning games, but not pushing it too far by keep picking the same team and it has no energy about it. I saw Neil Warnock talking about it this week and he blamed himself for keeping the same team when his team looked tired and jaded"

Fair comments. He also acknowledges he'll get hammered if he makes changes and gets it wrong. Wimbledon at home won't be our toughest test this season (famous last words)  I can see Chapman, Dack, Downing and Graham getting a start. Chapman certainly deserves a start for the way he's created goals and chances in the few brief outings he's had, so maybe rest Bennett for the next tough away where his covering and tackling will be vital. Downing for Ward, Dack and Graham for Samuel and Antonnson. I could even see him giving Evans or Smallwood a rest and playing Whittingham.

After predicting the Scunny score correctly you can all trust me when I say the Dons game is a license to print money. I've no idea what the odds are but if you don't win at least £10k by putting a tenner on a 3-0 win then I'm donating the contents of my wine cellar to the Dingle Christmas do (If those godless B@sturds have one)

Go with the Orinoco flow and LUMP ON.

If Conway is fit I'd start the same team as last Saturday but with Mulgrew in for Downing. I'm far from convinced regarding Antonnson but I think Wimbledon will come and park the bus so maybe we'll need a goal poacher out there.

If we're banging on the door but just can't score we've the options of Graham and Dack up front, Chapman on the wing and Whittingham in midfield to bring on. They can all influence the game in different ways. We need to start the first halves like we've started the second halves recently.

No game is easy and let's not forget we've scored first in those recent games. 

They will certainly be no pushovers, look like a team largely made up of athletes and battlers so will have to be careful not to get caught out for sure.  Does worry me a little when i read people complaining that Mowbray shouldn't be saying he expects a tough contest etc and we should set up to hammer them.  Clearly we'd all love that but the reality is we just need to win first and foremost.  It;'s inevitable there are going to be slip-ups at certain points this season, hopefully with the momentum we've got tomorrow won't be the day.  

I remember being one of the few thousand that turned up for league cup second leg in 85 after being hammered at Plough Lane 5-0 in the first.

Think we won that night 2-1 and lost the same season to Everton away in the FA Cup after beating the recent European Champions Forest, so not all bad, did we just miss out on promotion also? 

But we digress......

Rovers 2 Wimbledon 0

Got to back us here - they have had a real tough start to the season against some of the better teams and now they get to come here against a team who have won four on the spin. Lets hope our obvious confidence levels and the their lack of it will see a bit of a tonking.

Just now, JacknOry said:

Got to back us here - they have had a real tough start to the season against some of the better teams and now they get to come here against a team who have won four on the spin. Lets hope our obvious confidence levels and the their lack of it will see a bit of a tonking.

We need to forget what's gone on in the past month or so. Tomorrow it's 11 versus 11. Getting delusions of grandeur only ends one way in football. Luckily I think we've got a couple of players in the team now that would give 110% even if it was a friendly, let's hope they gee the others up !

13 hours ago, Husky said:

I've have a soft spot for Wimbledon ever since winning the FA Cup in 1988.

Back in those days all the schoolboy glory hunters supported Liverpool. The Krazy Gang's victory sure shut those gloating @#/? up for a while.

Always had a soft spot for them. Used to love watching the goals from premier league and seeing efan ekoku score scrappy goal. 

On the game itself by no means be push overs hopefully we can get the win.

• Backroom

The only approach for me would be to attack them from the off

Being overly cautious cost us the game against Doncaster.

They will sit and challenge us to find a way through 

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We need to forget what's gone on in the past month or so. Tomorrow it's 11 versus 11. Getting delusions of grandeur only ends one way in football. Luckily I think we've got a couple of players in the team now that would give 110% even if it was a friendly, let's hope they gee the others up !

Oh yeah I get that but I just think we have too much for them if set up the right way. They seems to be a typical Wimbledon side of being big lumps and physical (which in itself is a little worrying considering some of our injury worries). 

Just now, Irishrover213 said:

Always had a soft spot for them. Used to love watching the goals from premier league and seeing efan ekoku score scrappy goal. 

On the game itself by no means be push overs hopefully we can get the win.

There's no pushovers in this league at 3.00 on Saturday afternoon. They're only push overs when you've actually pushed them over at 4.55.

Can't say I've got anything of a soft spot for them but I have a lot of respect for what they have done following the MK Dons disgrace. To come back from that and actually now be in the same league as the club stolen from them has to be one of the greatest stories in English football history and a victory for what is right in football over the franchise/FA/businessmen that hatched up the scheme to rob Wimbledon of a club and drop a club into MK with a swanky new stadium.

Archived