BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wimbledon

Tom

Wimbledon FC and the story of a forgotten club that we should cherish

Fantastic read to fill in those knowledge gaps about what happened to the club. The fans were completely disregarded throughout, and the shuddering thoughts of a Lancashire United spring to mind when reading it.

I have to hold my hands up... I don't recall being overly bothered by their demise at the time, which I suppose goes to show how well we used to be run. Like everything in life, it takes a huge wake-up call to affect you, in order to understand. It's sad, but that's humanity.

Back to the game... I'm not liking this overconfidence! I'll go for Rovers 2-2 Wimbledon. Samuel and Williams for us. I couldn't name you one of their players off the top of my head, and neither could you. :)

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The next game is always the most important, so here we are today v Wimbledom. We've got to get out of this league this season. !00% effort needed from everyone again this week, we can do it. 3 points and we should move closer to top 6.

COYB:brfc:

26 minutes ago, Phil T said:

Wimbledon FC and the story of a forgotten club that we should cherish

Fantastic read to fill in those knowledge gaps about what happened to the club. The fans were completely disregarded throughout, and the shuddering thoughts of a Lancashire United spring to mind when reading it.

I have to hold my hands up... I don't recall being overly bothered by their demise at the time, which I suppose goes to show how well we used to be run. Like everything in life, it takes a huge wake-up call to affect you, in order to understand. It's sad, but that's humanity.

Back to the game... I'm not liking this overconfidence! I'll go for Rovers 2-2 Wimbledon. Samuel and Williams for us. I couldn't name you one of their players off the top of my head, and neither could you. :)

Tom Soares who used to play for Palace and who we were strongly linked with when Hughes was here. Robinson a defender who played for Millwall for years:P

You bring shame to the memory of Mercer with your score prediction (he's not dead, just bankrupt)

44 minutes ago, Phil T said:

I thought that when I read it. Who came up with that shyte? I'd forgotten Maxwell wanted to merge Oxford and Reading and call them 'Thames Valley Royals'.:wacko:  and that QPR and Fulham were close to becoming one club. Football was on it's arse in the 80's. Was it Italia 90 0r SKY that 'saved' it?!

Dublin would have been a great away day though!

Italia 90 certainly revived interest in football with the England side going so close, then Sky came in with all the cash and razamataz, "americanising" it if thats a word. I think the time familys started going again though was during the build up to, the tournament itself and aftermath of Euro 96. Country all seemed to come together for football in that period.

No disrespect to Wimbledon they'll obviously come with a game plan with a  ex crazy gang member in charge but if we're going to go up the likes of Wimbledon have to be beaten especially at Ewood.. We should go for the jugular early on and put it to bed 

havent posted on here a lot recently but Rochdale last week's was a great day and top performance, today I'd go:

---------------Raya

--Caddis Ward Mulgrew Williams

Bennett Smallwood Evans Conway

---------------Dack

--------------Samuel

Happy for Antonsson to score at Scunthorpe but not convinced at all on him...

2-0 Rovers COYB

First game of the season for me, expecting a few goals today! But would be happy with a scrappy 1-0 win to keep the run and good feeling going. Wouldn't change the team that much

Raya

Caddis Ward Mulgrew Williams

Antonsson Samuel

3 minutes ago, justjonny said:

First game of the season for me, expecting a few goals today! But would be happy with a scrappy 1-0 win to keep the run and good feeling going. Wouldn't change the team that much

Raya

Caddis Ward Mulgrew Williams

Antonsson Samuel

Lstening to Mowbray, he seems to be hinting that he is seriously thinking about changes...

Admired the old Wimbledon, back in the day, they survived and thrived against the odds, with uneasy methods, at times. (BT SPORTS DOC had genuinely uncomfortable moments).

They were replaced, with barely anyone caring. An outrage that deserves more inspection.

Everything about MK riles me. They don't deserve their place in the Pyramid, and I wish them nothing but ill will.

Lots of Wimbledon memories.

Fash breaking Moran's nose. 

Shay Givens solitary Rovers game (where he was brilliant).

Shearer's last scores at Ewood.

The awful : "Great balls of fire" goal music.

And, my personal favourite, Vinny Jones celebrating an Ewood abondment by diving into every pitch puddle he could find. 

20 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Lstening to Mowbray, he seems to be hinting that he is seriously thinking about changes...

Yes - I heard that - I suppose in just over an hour we will see whether it was kidology to throw the dons, or he has genuine concerns regarding some players fitness.

14 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15539325._It___s_how_you_manage_those_players____Rovers_boss_Tony_Mowbray_on_keeping_all_of_his_squad_happy/?ref=mac

He certainly 'managing' the fans expectations, and has been all week. I think he wants to mix it up but is wary of a backlash if he gets it wrong. I think we might see a few unenforced changes today.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15536479._At_times_it___s_not_how_I_would_like_to_do_it____Rovers_boss_Tony_Mowbray_wants_his_side_to_find_their_identity_as_the_season_goes_on/?ref=mac

'TONY Mowbray admits he has had to sacrifice some of his footballing philosophies to get Rovers up and running in League One. But over time he hopes Rovers can become more free-flowing in their style should confidence remains as high as it is after four successive league victories'

On the one hand it's great that he's been pragmatic enough to realise that the nature of the defeats at Southend and Scunny meant he had to have a serious re-think, but it's obvious it's not how he wants to play. The worry is he's going to reach a point where he thinks he can start playing like Barcelona again and we end up getting totally exposed again.

Archived