BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wimbledon

Tom

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't be bothered dissecting that pile of crap in detail but TM has to find a way of playing at home. We've lost 3 out of 4 of the senior games we've played at Ewood this season and you can't be playing  with Conway and Bennett as neither offer anything whatsoever going forward.

The only time we threatened was when Chapman came on (20 minutes too late) and got behind them a couple of times down the right. Then he was inexplicably switched onto the left on his wrong foot and the threat dissipated.

Weird substitutions. Chapman at HT for Bennett was the obvious one but we ended up with 3 up front for a period  when Graham was brought on for Smallwood then when Chapman did finally come on it was back to 2 strikersi as Antonsson was replaced. Very strange.

Bad day all round. Over to Neal for a rant.

The seventh game curse strikes again! Really poor today but we were unfortunate to lose; a draw would have been a fair result. 

Lets not get carried away and state TM should go. Everyone bar Shrewsbury have been inconsistent so far - we're only seven games in so no need to panic. Personally, I felt a decent start would be if, after 10 games, we were in touching distance of the automatic spots and it's looking like that will be the case. We're currently 5 points off second with a game in hand. Have a feeling we'll come to the fore when other teams start picking up injuries and suspensions as our squad is far stronger than everyone else's in this league. 

Shrewsbury next and it's a game I think we'll win. They're due a loss and it's the type of game we turn up for (a la Bradford and Scunthorpe). The team could perhaps do with a bit of freshening up - Graham and Chapman deserve a chance from the start. 

Just now, rovers11 said:

The seventh game curse strikes again! Really poor today but we were unfortunate to lose; a draw would have been a fair result. 

Lets not get carried away and state TM should go. Everyone bar Shrewsbury have been inconsistent so far - we're only seven games in so no need to panic. Personally, I felt a decent start would be if, after 10 games, we were in touching distance of the automatic spots and it's looking like that will be the case. We're currently 5 points off second with a game in hand. Have a feeling we'll come to the fore when other teams start picking up injuries and suspensions as our squad is far stronger than everyone else's in this league. 

Shrewsbury next and it's a game I think we'll win. They're due a loss and it's the type of game we turn up for (a la Bradford and Scunthorpe). The team could perhaps do with a bit of freshening up - Graham and Chapman deserve a chance from the start. 

Disagree with a draw being fair result. On stats yes but for me on the field there was a lack of effort in the first half hour. Wimbledon's game plan was a good old tough league 1 game and unfortunately that's not in TM's book of football. Nothing skillful about their goal, they got stuck in and as a result scored. We need a manager that will motivate his players to play for the shirt and I'm not seeing that. I wont be upset if TM leaves.

I was disgusted and embarrassed by the attitude of our team today. I said after five minutes that our attitude was wrong and it seemed they believed they only had to turn up to win. The basics were just not there. Ten yard passes dropping short, too many touches on the ball, not showing, idleness and I could go on. Mowbray shouldn't be exempt from criticism neither. It's his team and he should get the attitude right. Not one player comes out with any distinction and after winning four successive games would anybody bet against us losing four on the evidence of today?

I was absolutely appalled today by what I witnessed. Mowbray should have them in tomorrow as a punishment. I hope there are big changes for next week. Three of today's back four should be dropped and Antonsson is just too weak.

Just now, arbitro said:

I was disgusted and embarrassed by the attitude of our team today. I said after five minutes that our attitude was wrong and it seemed they believed they only had to turn up to win. The basics were just not there. Ten yard passes dropping short, too many touches on the ball, not showing, idleness and I could go on. Mowbray shouldn't be exempt from criticism neither. It's his team and he should get the attitude right. Not one player comes out with any distinction and after winning four successive games would anybody bet against us losing four on the evidence of today?

I was absolutely appalled today by what I witnessed. Mowbray should have them in tomorrow as a punishment. I hope there are big changes for next week. Three of today's back four should be dropped and Antonsson is just too weak.

Agree, well said arbitro.

4 hours ago, Biz said:

Same 442 that started against Rochdale minus Downing for Mulgrew, and only Conway for Harper different from Tuesday. Tinkerwho?

Well he did plenty of tinkering today and got it badly wrong.

28 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Can't be bothered dissecting that pile of crap in detail but TM has to find a way of playing at home. We've lost 3 out of 4 of the senior games we've played at Ewood this season and you can't be playing  with Conway and Bennett as neither offer anything whatsoever going forward.

The only time we threatened was when Chapman came on (20 minutes too late) and got behind them a couple of times down the right. Then he was inexplicably switched onto the left on his wrong foot and the threat dissipated.

Weird substitutions. Chapman at HT for Bennett was the obvious one but we ended up with 3 up front for a period  when Graham was brought on for Smallwood then when Chapman did finally come on it was back to 2 strikersi as Antonsson was replaced. Very strange.

Bad day all round. Over to Neal for a rant.

Agreed I thought when Conway got injured that Chapman would have come on for him. As he adds pace and is not afraid to take his man on.

He must start against Shrewsbury. Dack was unlucky with his header, Samuel and antonasson had chances but Wimbledon got men back to defend and snuffed them out 

Can't really fault the selection. The team  deserved another shot. As for attitude - well they must have been reading this message board before the game. As I said earlier -  There are  no pushovers until you've done enough to push them over.

At the risk of sounding like an echo I also said we're OK when we score first. Well today we didn't and we revealed our mental fragility.

1 minute ago, GreenRover said:

Stats from today. Bar possession Wimbledon create the same as us. Not good enough as the home time

IMG_3055.PNG

Lies, damned lies and statistics.

I can't remember three genuine shots let alone three on target.

When will Nyambe be fit?Caddis offers nothing going forward. Be tempted to try Bennett at right back until Nyambe is back or even give Travis a game in our next home match.Also was Hunt only signed to be part of the development squad ,him and Doyle can't be any worse than Williams.

Why did it take him so long to put Chapman on today.I like the way Mowbray speaks about the fans and the club but some of his decisions are bemusing.I'm not one for sacking a manager every 5 minutes but giving him a 2 year deal in the summer was crazy.If his tactics and in game substitutions don't improve then for me he hasaid to go,whenever we go behind I just don't have any faith in us getting back into the game

What's our record under Mowbray at home since he joined? He's such a dull, uninspiring man and manager. Stands on the touchline with his hands in his pockets looking at his feet. He makes Bowyer look like Liberace.

His team reflects him. Dull and laboured, and not an ounce of guile or imagination.

Raya - 6 - Had nowt to do apart from a couple of good saves and picking the ball out of his net. His kicking out of his hands has improved a lot.

Caddis 5 - Worked hard and tried to get up the pitch. Can't fault his effort and was one of the few who broke a sweat and got stuck in.

Mulgrew - 5 - Back to being a fanny. Didn't fancy it today. Defended poorly all the first half and his long passing in the 2nd half was poor.

Ward - 5 - Comically bad in the first half at times along with Mulgrew. Won his fair share of headers but he's an accident waiting to happen.

Williams - 6 - Did ok, probably the best of a poor back 4. He's just a very average footballer.

Bennett - 5 - He ran around a bit and got a couple of crosses in. He's just very limited and if you're relying on him at home to be a creative force then you're in trouble.

Smallwood - 5 - Poor, uninspiring performance, not his normal drive and desire, but again he's not a creative midfielder which is what we desperately needed in a game like that.

Evans - 5 - He was insipid. His passing was awful. He made nothing happen and he's supposed to be our playmaker.

Conway - 4 - He can turn attack into defence like no-one else. Dreadful

Antonnson - 4 - Tries hard but he's weak and a bit thick. Smallwood went mad at him in the 1st half as he failed for the 20th time to hold the ball up.

Samuel - 4 - Not a single run in behind their defence in the 1st half. Gave the midfielders nothing to aim for. Made it easy for their defence.

Subs

Dack - You can tell he's a decent footballer but he's not a left midfielder. Strange sub

Chapman - Not as effervescent as he normally is but again caused more problems for their defence in 20 minutes than Bennett, Conway, Samuel, Antonsson  etc did all game.

Graham - Didn't do much. Won a couple of headers.

Mowbray - 1 - Over cautious, strange subs, uninspiring and was out-thought by his opposite number. He even matched them up in the 2nd half and went three in midfield because he'd got it so wrong again.  Waste of space at Ewood. He'll be ok away from home when he can just defend and hit teams on the break.

Wimbledon were limited but committed. I thought they defended very well and were resolute. They used every trick in the book to stop us playing. Their fans were good too. Good luck to them.

Archived