BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wimbledon

Tom

9 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

What's our record under Mowbray at home since he joined? He's such a dull, uninspiring man and manager. Stands on the touchline with his hands in his pockets looking at his feet. He makes Bowyer look like Liberace.

His team reflects him. Dull and laboured, and not an ounce of guile or imagination.

Raya - 6 - Had nowt to do apart from a couple of good saves and picking the ball out of his net. His kicking out of his hands has improved a lot.

Caddis 5 - Worked hard and tried to get up the pitch. Can't fault his effort and was one of the few who broke a sweat and got stuck in.

Mulgrew - 5 - Back to being a fanny. Didn't fancy it today. Defended poorly all the first half and his long passing in the 2nd half was poor.

Ward - 5 - Comically bad in the first half at times along with Mulgrew. Won his fair share of headers but he's an accident waiting to happen.

Williams - 6 - Did ok, probably the best of a poor back 4. He's just a very average footballer.

Bennett - 5 - He ran around a bit and got a couple of crosses in. He's just very limited and if you're relying on him at home to be a creative force then you're in trouble.

Smallwood - 5 - Poor, uninspiring performance, not his normal drive and desire, but again he's not a creative midfielder which is what we desperately needed in a game like that.

Evans - 5 - He was insipid. His passing was awful. He made nothing happen and he's supposed to be our playmaker.

Conway - 4 - He can turn attack into defence like no-one else. Dreadful

Antonnson - 4 - Tries hard but he's weak and a bit thick. Smallwood went mad at him in the 1st half as he failed for the 20th time to hold the ball up.

Samuel - 4 - Not a single run in behind their defence in the 1st half. Gave the midfielders nothing to aim for. Made it easy for their defence.

Subs

Dack - You can tell he's a decent footballer but he's not a left midfielder. Strange sub

Chapman - Not as effervescent as he normally is but again caused more problems for their defence in 20 minutes than Bennett, Conway, Samuel, Antonsson  etc did all game.

Graham - Didn't do much. Won a couple of headers.

Mowbray - 1 - Over cautious, strange subs, uninspiring and was out-thought by his opposite number. He even matched them up in the 2nd half and went three in midfield because he'd got it so wrong again.  Waste of space at Ewood. He'll be ok away from home when he can just defend and hit teams on the break.

Wimbledon were limited but committed. I thought they defended very well and were resolute. They used every trick in the book to stop us playing. Their fans were good too. Good luck to them.

Good post. It seems like Mowbray should have changed the team, but we were on a run so his hands were tied a bit. We need to get Dack in,  the guy has talent and is a creator. Hindsight is great, but Evans and Smallwood at home probably isn't necessary. Smallwood holding with Dack behind the front 2 would be a better option. 

We learn and we go again. Calls for Mowbray to be sacked are premature, but we have spent more than everyone else. Fighting around the play offs isn't good enough imo 

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

'We didn't have the tools to get something out of the game.' 

Excuse me, Tony. But how many players did you bring in over the summer? Big indictment of your own recruitment there, pal.

I don't really want to get to this conclusiuon because I think TM is an honest bloke and the kind you would want to do well. But as a manager I am starting to think he is a dud. certainly when required to set a team up to attack-or come from behind in games. he doesn't know how to do it.Simply throwing attack minded players on and hoping for the best doesn't cut it. When he strays from the routine defensive formation we lose all shape and nobody knows what they are doing.

But at the end of it all he is the manager , they are the players he recruited so the buck stops with him.

Not liking what I see I am afraid to say . I fear he isn't up to it. 

In Mowbray's post match interview he said he was annoyed that Conway was risked when he wasn't fit ! Who made that decision then ? Seemed obvious it wasn't him.

Either Mowbray took advice from the medical staff and the advice was wrong or Conway declared himself fit. 

Either way, that sort of amateurish mistake should not happen especially when he have cover in the squad for his position.

3 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

In Mowbray's post match interview he said he was annoyed that Conway was risked when he wasn't fit ! Who made that decision then ? Seemed obvious it wasn't him.

Either Mowbray took advice from the medical staff and the advice was wrong or Conway declared himself fit. 

Either way, that sort of amateurish mistake should not happen especially when he have cover in the squad for his position.

Totally. I remember Shay Given declared himself fit for Ireland in the Euros a few years back when he clearly wasn't. He was terrible. I thought it was selfish. 

11 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

There's been several episodes like this in recent years going back to Lowes injury then a similar scenario with Lenihen. Do they have a trainee doctor or something these days or what ?

Just now, Gav said:

Get down to Ewood on Monday and get those remaining Shrewsbury tickets snapped up, we've just bagged 12 points from a possible 15 and everyone's on suicide watch:

EMBARRASSING. 

1) They've sold out.

2) We were absolutely dire today. People who witnessed it are unhappy.  You didn't go.  Pipe down.

1 minute ago, Gav said:

Get down to Ewood on Monday and get those remaining Shrewsbury tickets snapped up, we've just bagged 12 points from a possible 15 and everyone's on suicide watch:

EMBARRASSING. 

We've won 2 home league games since early March, Gav.

17 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

Possibly the same reason Lenihan's injury took a month to be diagnosed?

• Backroom

Seems the players have a real bond with our travelling fans but hate playing at ewood.

The Ewood crowd understandably haven't a massive tolerance for poor performances after what we've been put through.

They all seem to play with their heads down.

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Why are we so bad at home? At certain times over the past 7 seasons I could understand as it seems the atmosphere was a bit toxic. Going off videos of today though the support looked great. No excuses just ineptitude of the players 

Warnock was quoted in midweek saying his players are already shattered due to the opening run of games, that's why they got stuffed, could be the same here.

1 hour ago, Tom said:

We may end up chasing a play off spot, we need to keep up with the pack and can't make many more mistakes 

Disappointing result and a poor lacklustre performance today, seemingly over confident from the 4 straight wins, back down to earth now. Way too early to talk about chasing a play off spot, Sheff United trounced the league last season and weren't much better off than us at this time last season if I remember rightly. Long way to go but need too bounce back next week!!

7 minutes ago, Gav said:

EMBARRASSING. 

Looking for a reaction?

Embarrassing would be the right word for too many of our home performances in recent times. Doncaster was particularly poor.

Today was very, very frustrating, made worse by a WUM refereeing performance. The substitutions certainly seemed a little odd.

The atmosphere is absolutely terrible at home, unlike away.

We certainly have an issue around performances and atmosphere at home.The two are obviously interrelated. You could have predicted a home loss today to burst a growing feelgood bubble.

I think the feelings being expressed are around the realisation that we are far from the finished, promotion winning article.

The change should have been a straight swap of Chapman for Conway  Dack looked lost out wide and we lacked shape.  Then he pulls off, Smallwood for Graham and for a period, Caddis was wide right.  Then he finally hooks Atonsson and brings on Chapman.  We ended up short in the middle, had Samuels wasted on the wing and no idea where Dack was supposed to be.  No wonder we struggled to find any rhythm.  

18 minutes ago, Gav said:

EMBARRASSING. 

I actually agree with this entirely, it is utterly embarrassing. If we'd have gone on a ten game winning run the minute we'd have lost people would have been coming on her and slating Mowbray. 12 points from 15 is a fantastic return and as much as today was a fooking shambles coming on here too see comments like "I wouldn't mind if Mowbray leaves" is ludicrous. I don't understand some of our fans sometimes :lol: 

Just now, Gav said:

Warnock was quoted in midweek saying his players are already shattered due to the opening run of games, that's why they got stuffed, could be the same here.

Managers conveniently use tiredness as an excuse after a defeat. When Warnock said that did he realise that Preston had played the same number of games? Today I thought our players all became Billy Big @#/? after our recent run and it backfired massively.

1 minute ago, Butty said:

I actually agree with this entirely, it is utterly embarrassing. If we'd have gone on a ten game winning run the minute we'd have lost people would have been coming on her and slating Mowbray. 12 points from 15 is a fantastic return and as much as today was a fooking shambles coming on here too see comments like "I wouldn't mind if Mowbray leaves" is ludicrous. I don't understand some of our fans sometimes :lol: 

They may not be right, but I understand the feelings only too well.

After the last few years, frustration and anger are only just below the surface and it will be a big problem for the club.

Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

The atmosphere is absolutely terrible at home, unlike away.

Agree, four on the bounce and I personally thought the atmosphere was lacking today...was expecting more.It's like Rovers fans are waiting to be entertained at home,totally different mentality away from home.

Doesn't help having 10,000 home fans spread around a 31,000 capacity stadium tbh.

Archived