BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wimbledon

Tom

The Sheffield comparisons are getting a little unfair...Sheffield United are a properly run club with a proper board , structure etc..it took them a quite awhile to go back up personally I don't think Rovers can sustain that same period/stay in league one

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, martonrover said:

Very good post.

I felt strongly that Mowbray should not have been appointed, but there would be no justification in sacking him now.

However, the question I keep asking myself is, "Does Mowbray have a promotion left in him?"

Both my heart and head are saying "No", (based on results during his recent years as a manager and on what I've seen so far under his tenure at Rovers).

Hoping against hope that I'm wrong.

Given the backing he's had, top six is an absolute minimum requirement.

got to agree If TM was potted who'd we go for ? we are now a league one club our attractiveness to big name managers as fallen with relegation

Just looked at TM's Coventry record and TBH it doesn't make good reading as TM got a promotion in him ? I hope so but off what I've seen so far I'm more inclined to say no we'll fall short

3 hours ago, blackburnforever said:

I have been watching football for so long and what i see with rovers at the moment is we are playing the wrong system.  Bear in mind our strength is the midfield and our weaker areas are defence and attack. SO it should be quite simple to work this one out.....

raya

caddis/nyambe  downing/ward       mulgrew      williams

smallwood                  evans

bennett                  dack                   conway/chapman

samuel

4-2-3-1

this system is fantastic at protecting the centrebacks, also tends to create much better fliudity through the areas of the field, and hence much better at creating triangles of play. Dack is your ideal player for this system. ALSO remember you are getting more of your better players on the field. Paul cook at wigan employs this system fantastically well. And his players are no better suited to it than ours or indeed his players are no better than ours. I have seen so much football over the years this system will more often than not dominate against a 4-4-2. You have effective presence all over the field. I would hope tony sees this or somebody bring it to his attention. I appreciate feedback on this matter thanks.........

It's too complicated. We played something bizarre like that against Southend and Doncaster, and got hammered. I'm not quite sure what's wrong with 4-4-2? We're hardly in a bad position either- 1 win outside the top 6, with a game in hand. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

There is nothing complicated about 4-2-3-1. Plenty of teams play it. It would suit us as we have plenty of players who could play in the 3 off the striker. Problem is who can play upfront alone? 

That's why you design your system of play around the strengths of your players and don't shoe horn players into roles they're not happy with.

12 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's why you design your system of play around the strengths of your players and don't shoe horn players into roles they're not happy with.

I wouldn't give a @#/? about them not being happy. Sometimes players need to adapt to help the team, this even occurs at the really big teams. The issue with us is more around if we have a striker with the ability to play to lone man role. I don't think we do. 

As a general formation I think 442 works fine more often than not, I don't think Tony needs to be tinkering with something that should already be tried & tested. In a nutshell I don't think any formation would have made the slightest difference yesterday we had 11 players off it they had 11 players on it credit to Wimbledon they had done there homework bullied us & were fitter & hungrier & got most of the calls from the man in the middle. 11 not really including chapman actually I thought he buzzed about with abit of energy when he came on although nothing productive happened with finding the onion bag.

Does building from the back not apply anymore? I can't believe all the debate regarding 3-5-2, 3-1-3-1-2, 4-1-2-1-2-1 etc. stuff the twiddling with formations, we need a solid defence that doesn't leak goals. We've a bag full of attacking options if we can rely on defenders. Write this season off for me, Ward is an appalling centre half, Charlie is a midfielder and our 2 full backs can neither attack or defend.

If anyone thinks our set up off the field and our squad of players is anywhere near good enough, fit enough or motivated enough for even the play offs you're living in cloud cuckoo land.

We've already lost 3 from 7. No doubt we'll beat Shrewsbury next week, scabbily no doubt and it'll be game on again for many but not for me. I'll still be cheering the blue and whites on as often as I'm able but I've seen enough already to believe we'll be mid table come season's end unless there are significant changes. We are nowhere near good enough, even at this level IMO. We've been lucky so far this season, not unlucky and we've still lost 3.

Games in hand are another Rovers bugbear and I chuckle when fans refer to them constantly as if it's a 3 point deposit guaranteed for the bank but just not shown up on the statement yet :rolleyes:

Not sure we have a great record of nailing points in them and often the timing of the rearranged fixtures comes at an awkward moment.

30 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Games in hand are another Rovers bugbear and I chuckle when fans refer to them constantly as if it's a 3 point deposit guaranteed for the bank but just not shown up on the statement yet :rolleyes:

Not sure we have a great record of nailing points in them and often the timing of the rearranged fixtures comes at an awkward moment.

I think fans of every club talk about having games in hand if they have them. I don't see anyone on here saying that  our game in hand is a banker either. How could they? 

All the above being said, a game in hand is a game in hand. Should we just ignore they fact we have or assume it will be a defeat? 

4 minutes ago, Tormund said:

Blackburn Rovers do not do anything the easy way, this is normal every season we play. Expect another run of games that we win but then lose against an unlikely team, it's the way this club is. 

I'm pretty sure fans of every single club say that. Nothing special about Blackburn.

1 hour ago, Boaty said:

I agree with those saying bennett should start at rb. Bit like a poor mans Steven Reid.

I also think if we lose the next game tomo must go. Losing 3 of first 7 games in third division not good enough for a club such as Blackburn 

So if we lose away to the top of the league we need to sack the manager ? You're not dealing with a full deck.

What if we win ? How many games does he get then ?

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think fans of every club talk about having games in hand if they have them. I don't see anyone on here saying that  our game in hand is a banker either. How could they? 

All the above being said, a game in hand is a game in hand. Should we just ignore they fact we have or assume it will be a defeat? 

All i'm saying is it's just another game it needs to be played and it needs a point or three taking from it and until that happens it's just another stat really certainly not something to be relied upon as a get out of jail card.

Then again i'm scarred by many kicks in the nuts by the old game in hand scenario as a Rovers fan :o

I think we feel we can walk it against the Wimbledons of this World and get focused when it is top 5. These games are Cup finals for the average teams and they want it more  than we do. 

I am less worried about formations. We just need players that run their proverbials off and mix it when they need to. It ain't pretty but it is where we are. 

54 minutes ago, bigbrandjohn said:

I think we feel we can walk it against the Wimbledons of this World and get focused when it is top 5. These games are Cup finals for the average teams and they want it more  than we do. 

I am less worried about formations. We just need players that run their proverbials off and mix it when they need to. It ain't pretty but it is where we are. 

The problem is are we good enough to be the position of say Celtic in Scotland? Teams see us as a big scalp, but in reality we haven't had a good consistent team who played with Pride in the Jersey since Allardyce got sacked. Thinking that we will have it easy in this division was/is pie in the sky stuff. 

No amount of excuses from the manager can cover up three defeats to teams who's main ambitions is to not get relegated from this division is just not good enough, Wimbledon don't even have their own ground they share with a non league team talk about a difference in resources its embarrassing.  

Archived