BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wimbledon

Tom

Just about got over Saturdays shower. In the end we wasn't cut throat in front of goal. Opportunities were there and if taken we would be singing from a different hymn sheet. Wimbledon came here and did exactly what they set out to do, walked away with 3points in the process. Unless TM finds a way to play against these teams then we will not have a hope in hell of promotion. On the referee, worst I've seen in a while but that's the level we are at... 

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderation Lead
49 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

He was sluggish and poor last season as well. Never turned up until sometime during November and whilst he somehow managed 12 or13 goals his overall contribution was very poor and he never appeared properly fit all season.

Without wanting to turn this into a Rhodes v Graham debate people used to criticise Rhodes all round play whilst he was weighing in with nearly twice as many goals.

If Graham comes off the bench two or three consecutive times and scores then maybe he might have an argument for forcing himself into the starting line up if the others arent scoring. Until then.......

Admittedly, I didn't see much of us last season for one reason and another and I don't doubt he looked poor then as well.

An on-song Danny Graham should be able to do some real damage in this league and I hope we get to see such an incarnation before too long......

9 hours ago, rigger said:

but unless my eyes deceive me, not the best two. I would start with Graham and one  of the afore mentioned.

yep.

I don't consider Antonsson to be a striker in the sense of it. He couldn't play up top on his own so very much support .  He is 5 feet 6 , weak as the proverbial and not strong enough against big lump League one defences. He is like a lot of other Mowbray summer recruits-simply an extra body.

I bet Antonsson doesn't complete many 90 minutes for us, put it that way.

For me 2 powerful strikers like Samual and Graham will terrorise most defences in this league if the service is up to scratch . Questions over form, fitness etc with Graham are for the manager to sort out and get right. If there was a more sinister problem then Mowbray should have had him out the door and spent the money. having said that he would probably have bout another 3 number 10's!!

He looks tactically embarrassing to me at the moment and I have to say at times last season too. Far too cautious and over thinking it. We should be attacking teams full on and taking games by the scruff. Teams in this league would die for our budget and make a far better fist of it than Mowbray looks like doing.

I agree its early days yet but the signs are wrong for me just now.

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Saturday game, we started 1st 10 mins well but didnt score. Then we didnt keep the ball well enough or play quick enough. 

Thought Chapman coming on give us pace and skill that we lack all game. Played too many long ball for me all game

Can Chapman not make into the pitch before the 70th minute Chaddy??? that's one for Mowbray. It was crying out for him when Conway went off yet brings Dack on and thereafter all shape went out the window.

• Backroom

I actually thought Graham looked pretty good Saturday; stronger than Antonsson and looked more mobile than Samuel, he won some headers that the other two wouldn't have got to but nobody anticipated.

Think he would work well with Dack

11 hours ago, Hasta said:

Chapman needs to start. On what he has shown, it is only his age keeping him out of the team. Which is bonkers.

That's not a bad idea seemed to bring alot of energy with him on a Saturday when he came on or was it it just looked like that because the rest were knackered by then & it showed more, I don't see him training I don't think TM has any confidence in the likes of him sustaining 90mins you could throw antossen into that as well. But in high tempo Games Chapman definitely worth a start needs competition for places anyway.

1 hour ago, philipl said:

An off day all round- from Mowbray down

This happens at any level and if we win 4 and lose one of the next 5 I will be very happy. Hopefully lessons were learned from the first two games and the 5 after are a sign of how the season will pan out.

Always thought that game would be a turgid one and predicted an ugly draw as whenever I see the name Wimbledon in football that's what you automatically picture, at least those who saw the first version of them.  I think any Wimbledon football team thrives on these matches it's what they live for and if they are striving for that old spirit from past days they are on the right lines given their amazing rise yet again from the bottom leagues.

That result at Ewood is probably one of their best wins to date in the league in their reincarnation. They were up for it and had a plan so it didn't really surprise me although how bad Rovers seemingly were did.

If as a fan I could see this coming then why weren't the team ready for this type of thing and why wasn't there a plan B ?  There's always a chance you could go behind to a scrappy goal from that lot even if you don't give one away.

Anyway it's done now and i'll settle for a blip every 4 or 5 games if we win most of the others I suppose.

51 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Always thought that game would be a turgid one and predicted an ugly draw as whenever I see the name Wimbledon in football that's what you automatically picture, at least those who saw the first version of them.  I think any Wimbledon football team thrives on these matches it's what they live for and if they are striving for that old spirit from past days they are on the right lines given their amazing rise yet again from the bottom leagues.

That result at Ewood is probably one of their best wins to date in the league in their reincarnation. They were up for it and had a plan so it didn't really surprise me although how bad Rovers seemingly were did.

If as a fan I could see this coming then why weren't the team ready for this type of thing and why wasn't there a plan B ?  There's always a chance you could go behind to a scrappy goal from that lot even if you don't give one away.

Anyway it's done now and i'll settle for a blip every 4 or 5 games if we win most of the others I suppose.

All true, they won't be the last who will be extra psyched up for us though.

Lots of talk about our little winning run, but is just dawned on em this morning, if we lose Saturday then it's 4 wins/4 losses from 8 league games. Talk about inconsistent. We won't get promoted with inconsistency.

Will we have to be the first team to get promoted by winning our away games and drawing our home games?? 

2 hours ago, DE. said:

Well we need to start drawing instead of losing first.

2 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Quite. Drawing would make a positive change to seeing us roll over for a good old belly tickling at Ewood every other week. 

The thing is we would probably all have given out if we drew against Doncaster and then again against Wimbledon! 

• Paul unpinned this topic

Archived