BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wimbledon

Tom

The current Wimbledon are a completely separate entity to the original Club and "Crazy Gang" for whom I have a fair degree of affection despite their pitch surfing antics that time. They're a completely different Club who just happen to be using a similar name.

Just as a new Club would be completely separate and distinct to Blackburn Rovers Fc formed in 1875 were we ever to go out of business. I wouldn't feel any emotional attachment to the new entity whatsoever.

As for tomorrow, everything points towards us winning, but in the past we've had form for fluffing our lines horrendously when it has looked like we've finally turned the corner, and for leaving  everyone with the "after the Lord Mayor's show" feeling.

I'd like a scintillating performance and 5-0 victory. I'd take a scrappy performance and 1-0 win off someone's backside in the 89th minute to keep the winning run going. Hopefully the reality will be somewhere inbetween the two.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

The current Wimbledon are a completely separate entity to the original Club and "Crazy Gang" for whom I have a fair degree of affection despite their pitch surfing antics that time. They're a completely different Club who just happen to be using a similar name.

Just as a new Club would be completely separate and distinct to Blackburn Rovers Fc formed in 1875 were we ever to go out of business. I wouldn't feel any emotional attachment to the new entity whatsoever.

As for tomorrow, everything points towards us winning, but in the past we've had form for fluffing our lines horrendously when it has looked like we've finally turned the corner, and for leaving  everyone with the "after the Lord Mayor's show" feeling.

I'd like a scintillating performance and 5-0 victory. I'd take a scrappy performance and 1-0 win off someone's backside in the 89th minute to keep the winning run going. Hopefully the reality will be somewhere inbetween the two.

I got this at 60/1

Ah, worth a fiver.... 

15 hours ago, Husky said:

I've have a soft spot for Wimbledon ever since winning the FA Cup in 1988.

Back in those days all the schoolboy glory hunters supported Liverpool. The Krazy Gang's victory sure shut those gloating @#/? up for a while.

That remains one of my favourite non Rovers football moments seeing the legions of red plastic glory hunters brought down to earth with a right bang after thinking they only had to turn up.

Jones 1st min tackle on Mcmahon who was far from a wallflower set the tone.

5 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

We need to get this fella in for our pre-match team talk to get the lads fired up. Bring yer fackin dinner!! :lol: (Parental Advisory sticker needed as contains some naughty language)

Absolute quality but I prefer Mike Bassett's "if" speech culminating in "we're playing 4-4-f'ing 2!"

26 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Can't say I've got anything of a soft spot for them but I have a lot of respect for what they have done following the MK Dons disgrace. To come back from that and actually now be in the same league as the club stolen from them has to be one of the greatest stories in English football history and a victory for what is right in football over the franchise/FA/businessmen that hatched up the scheme to rob Wimbledon of a club and drop a club into MK with a swanky new stadium.

Total disgrace what happened there. Fair play for where they have got themselves now. My first ever game at Ewood was against the Dons, believe we won 3-1. Taking my son this weekend, really looking forward to it on the back of our run. Think I'll stick £20 on a 3-1 to Rovers just for good measure! 

55 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Whilst the 'separate entity' is correct you completely ignore the actual history of and fan involvement in the formation of AFCW. 

Tomorrow you should seek out an AFC Wimbledon fan and ask their view of their roots and who they are.

Who holds the 'history of the original Wimbledon FC?. I know btw, do you?

My team would be:

Raya

Caddis Ward Mulgrew Williams

Bennett Smallwood Evans Conway

Samuel Antonsson

I wouldn't change much if I was Mowbray, and I certainly wouldn't be playing Whittingham as others have suggested.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Whilst the 'separate entity' is correct you completely ignore the actual history of and fan involvement in the formation of AFCW. 

Tomorrow you should seek out an AFC Wimbledon fan and ask their view of their roots and who they are.

Who holds the 'history of the original Wimbledon FC?. I know btw, do you?

Should be neither but out of the two it ought to be MK Dons. They are the original Club rebranded as MK Dons and moved to Milton Keynes due in part o the difficulty in finding a site for a new ground.

I dont deny that what happened to Wimbledon FC was a disgrace and I cant blame any of their original fans for refusing to side with the new franchise and wanting to form a completely new Club in the same town. There is no doubt they own the moral high ground but let's not pretend they're one and the same.

Just now, RV Blue said:

My team would be:

Raya

Caddis Ward Mulgrew Williams

Bennett Smallwood Evans Conway

Samuel Antonsson

I wouldn't change much if I was Mowbray, and I certainly wouldn't be playing Whittingham as others have suggested.

Picks itself I suppose as long as they're all fit. I still have doubts about Antonsson.

43 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Should be neither but out of the two it ought to be MK Dons. They are the original Club rebranded as MK Dons and moved to Milton Keynes due in part o the difficulty in finding a site for a new ground.

I dont deny that what happened to Wimbledon FC was a disgrace and I cant blame any of their original fans for refusing to side with the new franchise and wanting to form a completely new Club in the same town. There is no doubt they own the moral high ground but let's not pretend they're one and the same.

Neither are the origInal Wimbledon, but only AFC Wimbledon have any of the soul of the original club.

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Really? If our, or any future owners, decided to move the Rovers to Birmingham, change its name and colours you would still feel more attachment to that than a club risen in the town we are (mostly) from and live? Especially when the club has risen with the hard work from the very fans it has been stolen from.

Very strange mentality, but perhaps explains a lot of your posts that, in the past, I've struggled to get my head around.

As for the post on MK Dons deserving the honours of the old Wimbledon - how can you justify that? They aren't the same as Wimbledon, they made sure of that all those years ago, and literally took a community asset from the community that had propped it up for generations. They don't deserve squat from their past.

Bit worried about this one, like Rev said we have form for bursting our own bubble.  They will be no pushovers and if the score before us we could well be done for.  Hoping for a win.

Never cared much for all this crazy gang stuff but they will forever have a place in my.heart for dumping Burnley out the FA Cup when they were the team of the 70's.  Underground overground, got a lifetime ban on clarrots mad fir bringing up the Wombles so it still smarts.  Hey they started it with the trellorborgs, dish it but can't take it.

28 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Neither are the origInal Wimbledon, but only AFC Wimbledon have any of the soul of the original club.

Wimbledon FC played as Wimbledon FC in Milton Keynes in 2003. The name change, by whatever process, to Milton Keynes Dons took place in 2004. From a pedantic/technical point of view MK Dons are the 'old' Wimbledon.

AFC Wimbledon were formed in 2002 but as you rightly say are the 'true' inheritors of Wimbledon FC.

AFC Wimbledon are a fanastic example of fan involvement in Club development.

Having said that I truly hope we stuff them tomorrow :rover:

Reading some of the stuff on here you can see exactly why many fans have no sympathy when a Venkys type situation happens to a club.  We, of all people, should have solidarity with Wimbledon and respect them for all they have achieved in the face of overwhelming odds and a football establishment stacked against them.  People should see what has happened to them and us as part of the same problem and stop talking mince.  Who won the FA Cup?  FFS, it was Wimbledon, the clue is in the name.

• Paul pinned this topic

I've always kept an eye on Wimbledon. Fifty odd years ago I grew up watching Southern League football every Saturday afternoon. For the youngsters that's like going to Chorley.

My team was Guildford City and Wimbledon was the local, and as far as I can recall, only local derby. Always a good day as a few of the kids at school were from and followed Wimbledon. 

10 hours ago, McClarky said:

Reading some of the stuff on here you can see exactly why many fans have no sympathy when a Venkys type situation happens to a club.  We, of all people, should have solidarity with Wimbledon and respect them for all they have achieved in the face of overwhelming odds and a football establishment stacked against them.  People should see what has happened to them and us as part of the same problem and stop talking mince.  Who won the FA Cup?  FFS, it was Wimbledon, the clue is in the name.

Spot on. What are fans fighting for if not their history?

Archived