BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Supporting Half A Club

Stuart

2 different clubs but no similarities? Right!

I won't rise to provocative comments about "defectors". we have enough division as it is.

Such a plan would never be needed if Venkys left, whatever league we were in.

I agree with you that the best outcome would be to see Venkys out and the club still in existence.

Its time to accept however that that is not necessarily possible and outside our control.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, 47er said:

2 different clubs but no similarities? Right!

I won't rise to provocative comments about "defectors". we have enough division as it is.

Such a plan would never be needed if Venkys left, whatever league we were in.

I agree with you that the best outcome would be to see Venkys out and the club still in existence.

Its time to accept however that that is not necessarily possible and outside our control.

I guess I am not alone in feeling this.But I know I will never be able to commit again, while the abusers remain!

I would always be looking over my shoulder for the next betrayal and then feeling complicit etc

Your question is very troubling. What if they really have decided to maintain the club( for the rest of my life) in this state of toxic, suspended animation?( sorry, but it is late)

Everyone has their own rationale, therefore perhaps pointless to try and understand the 'why?' for 0000's of individuals.

I'm not the sort of fan that will just go and watch another team playing in the prem, Rovers have been my life, I was passed over the old Ewood turnstiles as a kid, climbed the railings when we scored and sat on my dad's shoulders but it doesn't feel like my club anymore. Personally I won't let the the past 7 years go by and learn nothing from it, I see so many fans season after season that talk as if it all hasn't happened, perhaps I should envy them but personally tensions with other fans at Ewood have got very heated, team that with their neglect and Mike Cheston blaming me for 'damaging the club'... I can't bring myself to go anymore... Despite being offered countless free tickets.  I know the club will not be successful under Venkys and because of this results really don't matter the same way as they did before they arrived... However, if i get the uncontrollable need to watch a game of football then watching Rovers away is my only option because to me going to watch another club feels dirty. What pisses me off is when people label fans like myself as "lazy" or blame it on us being @#/?... Some of us have stood in the pissing rain protesting outside Ewood, Brockhall and other grounds trying to bring what's happened into the public eye, we've been abused from our own fans, insulted by club employees... So why on earth would some of us pay to pay their wages or stand shoulder to shoulder with said fans? Perhaps the way things are at the moment is probably the best solution? leave the ones who still enjoy Ewood to enjoy it, it's not ideal but maybe it's for the best? It is a shame though when I think of so many of the fans who don't attend anymore, loud, passionate fans, not afraid to get a chant going, to stand up and be counted... Me and my dad, many of you have seen video's of my old man on youtube, we've been some of the best fans around, we've had pubs rocking, fought, cried and laughed BUT there comes a time when enough is enough for every fan and that time has long passed for us.

I do regularly ask myself "why even bother anymore?" and all things considered, sacking off everything Rovers related all together makes the most sense but it's in my blood, that's why I've fought for it these past 7 years. My dad and I are getting to that point though (like many other fans) where it might be best to put it to one side completely, leave the fans who have opposing opinions to get whatever enjoyment they still get without souring it for them and pick it back up IF they ever decide to leave.  

Anyway, that's my two pennies worth. @#/? state of affairs. 

There is only one solution to all of this. 

Venkys Out. NAPM.

I completely understand why fans would go to away games and not home ones.

By the sound of it Ewood is a morgue. It makes perfect sense that people have no interest in watching a 3rd rate football team play 3rd rate opposition in an empty stadium.

Away games are a day out. They have to be planned. There's travel involved so folk look forward to it.

I'm sure there are those going to away games only in principled protest, yet I'd wager that the majority do so as it's simply much more enjoyable.  

I must be in a minority I prefer the home games it seems to be more spacious, at Bradford it was like sardines in a tin Rochdale was with the home crowd & that was unreserved seating the section I got allocated I liked that then again I must have claustrophobic tendencies. Away games different atmosphere I agree with that but in terms of being comfortable & less ballache with travelling I prefer Ewood even though Doncaster & Wimbledon results could have been better.

4 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I completely understand why fans would go to away games and not home ones.

By the sound of it Ewood is a morgue. It makes perfect sense that people have no interest in watching a 3rd rate football team play 3rd rate opposition in an empty stadium.

Away games are a day out. They have to be planned. There's travel involved so folk look forward to it.

I'm sure there are those going to away games only in principled protest, yet I'd wager that the majority do so as it's simply much more enjoyable.  

I can understand an away day being a trip out or a novelty but Ewood being a morgue is self-fulfilling.

Why should fans only sing when we go away?

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

I can understand an away day being a trip out or a novelty but Ewood being a morgue is self-fulfilling.

you have been given various answers to your question, but you choose to keep asking the same thing  over and over again.

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Theres no scientific reasoning behind it Stuart. A culmination of a lot of what posters have added. And the fact the majority of the travelling support make a good day out of it by getting well n truly trollied and having fun  whilst probably most of the home supporters looking at how many pubs have shut around Ewood dont leave their homes til well after 2pm :lol:

David Brent explained it best for me.

Away days are full of folk on the razz with their pals, be they Ewood regulars or not.

Home games, you often see the same people sat in the same seats they've had for years next to their dad/grandad/young kids etc. after driving to the game.

Different culture and it is the same everywhere.

1 hour ago, rigger said:

you have been given various answers to your question, but you choose to keep asking the same thing  over and over again.

The question 'why' is a multi-layered one.

Not sure why you seem to get so bent out of shape about it.

17 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

Theres no scientific reasoning behind it Stuart. A culmination of a lot of what posters have added. And the fact the majority of the travelling support make a good day out of it by getting well n truly trollied and having fun  whilst probably most of the home supporters looking at how many pubs have shut around Ewood dont leave their homes til well after 2pm :lol:

What's stopping one fan in the BBE starting a song up. Then what's stopping the few people next to them joining in.

The conventional wisdom is that the same fans are going to home games as away ones so it's just a mindset: "I cba singing".

The alternative is that it is a different set of fans in which case we are back at the supporting half a club.

I just find it a bit bizarre.

7 minutes ago, Stuart said:

What's stopping one fan in the BBE starting a song up. Then what's stopping the few people next to them joining in.

The conventional wisdom is that the same fans are going to home games as away ones so it's just a mindset: "I cba singing".

The alternative is that it is a different set of fans in which case we are back at the supporting half a club.

I just find it a bit bizarre.

There's nothing bizarre.

Stack up the past 100 results at home, the atmosphere answer lies in those statistics.

The players probably use it as an excuse privately, but the onus is on them. 

58 minutes ago, Biz said:

There's nothing bizarre.

Stack up the past 100 results at home, the atmosphere answer lies in those statistics.

The players probably use it as an excuse privately, but the onus is on them. 

Our away form has been worse until this season.

6 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Our away form has been worse until this season.

Won last two of previous season + 3/4 of this season. I think if we won 5 out of 6 at home, we'd see an increase in noise. The place is bereft of expectancy and confidence.

Numbers is the main barometer though, that stadium 1/3 full is never going to produce the same atmosphere as 20/25k.

Maybe if we had a first half where we attacked the other team.

Maybe if we had Chapman and Dack getting at the other team.

Maybe if we had more youngsters in and super-sub Joe ready to go at the other team.

You want to try it TM and see the crowd difference.

1 hour ago, philipl said:

I was travelling so only had limited access from my plane seat. This thread echoes many of the points in my Away sweet Away thread.

Fundamentally, the reality is we are going to have to go up without the advantage of passionate home support.

What I would give for the old Ewood this season. It would have been like a 12th man.

4 minutes ago, Bluebarley said:

They did against MK dons & the next home game it was as flat as a pancake.

Exactly how Cheston wants it.

Every action has been taken by the club to remove the possibility of any protests at Ewood, the damage of that is that the positive atmosphere has also been stifled.

Those on the gravy train are quite happy to just have the base 6-8k fans on and pretend that people are no longer angry at the owners.

5 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

Exactly how Cheston wants it.

Every action has been taken by the club to remove the possibility of any protests at Ewood, the damage of that is that the positive atmosphere has also been stifled.

Those on the gravy train are quite happy to just have the base 6-8k fans on and pretend that people are no longer angry at the owners.

Don't think it's that simplistic think there's a variety of different factors, that been 1 amongst many, bigger gates always seem to generate more noise. I just find it strange on the back of Mk dons & Scunthorpe the flatness without criticising or judging anything or anybody. It is what it is I guess.

Archived