BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Supporting Half A Club

Stuart

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back to the atmosphere point I thought it was ok against Doncaster despite a very sparse crowd. The reason being the team were "at it" from the off and the tempo was so much better than normal.

There's not much wrong that a performance like that in front of another 5 or 6k home fans wouldn't fix imo. Although I wouldn't expect boycotters or "can't be arsed-ters" ( (C) blueboy) to start turning up in large numbers until we start turning in performances consistently.

At Shrewsbury on Saturday it struck me just how many people were absolutely blathered, that always adds to the atmosphere, sometimes in a positive way, sometimes into a negative way, but clearly talking to fans, its much better away from home than at Ewood, but thats always been the case for me in the main.

Bottom line is, we need to get things right on the footballing side before we start to fix the peripheral stuff. 

Away days have always been something I look forward to,15 years ago it was how many pubs can we fit in before we have to get in the ground ,the usual bets to see who would be the first to get kicked out....Now its all planed with my wife if she wants to travel,. Shrewsbury was good a nice mediaeval town with plenty of history, first stop was Wrexham for breakfast, the of to Attingham park for a couple of hours before moving on th Shrewsbury town centre to visit a pub I had not set foot in since the 23rd March 1987 ,I also recall if I remember correctly that the pub (the crown inn) team played in rovers colours ., nothing in there seemed to have changed ,anyway it was a stroll around town for a while before I left my wife were I went to the match and she continued with her stroll round...We met up around 6.00pm were we decided to eat in town ,we chose a pizza house ,not sore of the name it was something like zizzis ,I think,anyway I had my rovers shirt on with trousers and shoes and wife was dressed smartly ,now I am 55 and my 53 and we were both shocked and a little embarrassed when the refused to let me sit down because of my rovers top,fair enough if that's the house rules ,but it was a chain store type pizza house not the Ritz, anyway what was a nice touch was a few local lads were eating in there and must have seen what happened and a young man offered me is jumper so we could go in , a nice gesture that I politely refused on principal ,but on the way after we finished our meal elsewhere they were still in so my wife popped in and bought them a bottle of wine ....lesson learnt about the top,will take something to get changed in to on my next travels

4 hours ago, den9112 said:

Away days have always been something I look forward to,15 years ago it was how many pubs can we fit in before we have to get in the ground ,the usual bets to see who would be the first to get kicked out....Now its all planed with my wife if she wants to travel,. Shrewsbury was good a nice mediaeval town with plenty of history, first stop was Wrexham for breakfast, the of to Attingham park for a couple of hours before moving on th Shrewsbury town centre to visit a pub I had not set foot in since the 23rd March 1987 ,I also recall if I remember correctly that the pub (the crown inn) team played in rovers colours ., nothing in there seemed to have changed ,anyway it was a stroll around town for a while before I left my wife were I went to the match and she continued with her stroll round...We met up around 6.00pm were we decided to eat in town ,we chose a pizza house ,not sore of the name it was something like zizzis ,I think,anyway I had my rovers shirt on with trousers and shoes and wife was dressed smartly ,now I am 55 and my 53 and we were both shocked and a little embarrassed when the refused to let me sit down because of my rovers top,fair enough if that's the house rules ,but it was a chain store type pizza house not the Ritz, anyway what was a nice touch was a few local lads were eating in there and must have seen what happened and a young man offered me is jumper so we could go in , a nice gesture that I politely refused on principal ,but on the way after we finished our meal elsewhere they were still in so my wife popped in and bought them a bottle of wine ....lesson learnt about the top,will take something to get changed in to on my next travels

Should have done ironbridge, regarding the top I take time to sense things & prevent any misunderstandings, if there is a problem to be had certain people will be steadfastly hellbent on finding it.

Just now, Bluebarley said:

Should have done ironbridge, regarding the top I take time to sense things & prevent any misunderstandings, if there is a problem to be had certain people will be steadfastly hellbent on finding it.

Done Ironbridge before ,wife picked Atingham ,we were going to do Much Wenlock but we were a pushed for time,...as for the top nine times out of ten we usually stop overnight were i have a change of clothes for the evening, left it to late to get a decent B&B ...

14 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

It sounded ok to me in the BBEnd, I thought the Chapman song was sung quite loudly, but then talking to someone who was in the Riverside they said they heard nothing.

Very hard to create an atmosphere with 6/7000 (10k ha!) people in a 30k+ capacity stadium

In the JW heard the Smallwood song and a few rendition of Come on You Blues but I thought the atmosphere was generally poor. The 200 or so still braving it on the DE need to move back to the BBE. Didn't hear the Chapman song.

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

In the JW heard the Smallwood song and a few rendition of Come on You Blues but I thought the atmosphere was generally poor. The 200 or so still braving it on the DE need to move back to the BBE. Didn't hear the Chapman song.

Well it has taken a few years of Venky poison for Ewood to be reduced to a morgue. And it is contagious too.

We must remember a stadium built for Premier League champions is now only a third full...but I still think a few more good results and exciting performances at home should help.

21 hours ago, den9112 said:

Never known anything like that. Remember a few years ago now going to pick the kids up from old trafford, going into pizza hut straight after the match and getting a table for the 4 of us. The waitress asked how shed know which people to show to my table when  they came in. I told her they'd be wearing blue and white shirts and smiling. Sure enough, everyone else who came in was in red and looked grumpy. My kids came in full of it and nobody batted an eyelid. 

16 minutes ago, gumboots said:

Never known anything like that. Remember a few years ago now going to pick the kids up from old trafford, going into pizza hut straight after the match and getting a table for the 4 of us. The waitress asked how shed know which people to show to my table when  they came in. I told her they'd be wearing blue and white shirts and smiling. Sure enough, everyone else who came in was in red and looked grumpy. My kids came in full of it and nobody batted an eyelid. 

Must say its my first experience of this ,in fact, i have just contacted them to ask what the rules are regarding football tops in their restaurants ,i await the reply 

This sort of thing happens all the time, been refused entry to many places over the years and hardly ever wear colors.

Best one was getting on the ferry at Hull to travel to Zeebrugge in Euro 2000, policeman said no football,fans are allowed on the ferry despite us buying tickets in advance. After well over an hour of being held by the port police, without any reason whatsoever, they relented and asked us to change our tops (Hackett) because they're football tops? then we'd be allowed on.

Got on the boat and the bar was covered in flags from every football club you could think of, singing, dancing, the usual joviality, couldn't believe it.

You have no rights if you're a football fan in this country, and the way some of the stewards on Saturday pushed and shoved fans around its still the case today.

I have seen football from the mid seventies until the modern day and its so much better now ,at Southend I walked to the ground with Southend supporters as I did at Bradford ,I also walked back to my car with a Shrewsbury supporter and had a nice chat about the game,its changed so much for the better ,just to be spoilt a little by being refused entry to a chain store pizza house...Its no big deal I think I was just a bit shocked ,BTW I don't drink and I was sober ....

You get get good stewards and bad stewards, at Shrewsbury I was actually told before I went through the turnstile that it was actually allocated seating so sit on your seat Number ,unlike Bradford were they looked like they were itching to march someone out ,especially after we scored

44 minutes ago, Bluebarley said:

Any rigid allocation system in any away fixture would put me off, short notice nighttime attire would probably consist of a Rohan shirt crease resistant & a can of lynx deodorant no need to iron, ditch the football shirt.

So you never went away in the Premiership then? or Championship? Europe?

6 hours ago, den9112 said:

I have seen football from the mid seventies until the modern day and its so much better now ,at Southend I walked to the ground with Southend supporters as I did at Bradford ,I also walked back to my car with a Shrewsbury supporter and had a nice chat about the game,its changed so much for the better ,just to be spoilt a little by being refused entry to a chain store pizza house...Its no big deal I think I was just a bit shocked ,BTW I don't drink and I was sober ....

You get get good stewards and bad stewards, at Shrewsbury I was actually told before I went through the turnstile that it was actually allocated seating so sit on your seat Number ,unlike Bradford were they looked like they were itching to march someone out ,especially after we scored

Not for me. The supporting experience has been anaethetised.  Bring back the the bus and tram ride to the game, cobbled streets, the turnstiles, standing on the terraces, swaying, packed crowds, supporters wearing scarves and bobble hats, rattles, the smell of pies and Bovril and Woodbines, muddy pitches, rain, stinking toilets, brass bands before the game, no overpowering b.... musak blaring overhead, no mobile phones, the excitement of the team coming down the tunnel, and build-up to kick-off, and most people of a certain age would be in heaven. 

On 27/09/2017 at 07:43, Mattyblue said:

It sounded ok to me in the BBEnd, I thought the Chapman song was sung quite loudly, but then talking to someone who was in the Riverside they said they heard nothing.

Very hard to create an atmosphere with 6/7000 (10k ha!) people in a 30k+ capacity stadium

One thing I did notice was the two separate attempts with the Smallwood song. There was a decent sound from the BBE (I am closer) followed minutes later by the same song, almost sung as a refrain, from the DE.

It just epitomised the split in the stadium in my view. Those 10s of fans in the DE moved to the BBE could life the whole stadium. Although I have to say, the JW (even lower) is just devoid of atmosphere.

32 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Not for me. The supporting experience has been anaethetised.  Bring back the the bus and tram ride to the game, cobbled streets, the turnstiles, standing on the terraces, swaying, packed crowds, supporters wearing scarves and bobble hats, rattles, the smell of pies and Bovril and Woodbines, muddy pitches, rain, stinking toilets, brass bands before the game, no overpowering b.... musak blaring overhead, no mobile phones, the excitement of the team coming down the tunnel, and build-up to kick-off, and most people of a certain age would be in heaven. 

Jumpers for goalposts

Archived