BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Most hated British football clubs

rhodie

8 minutes ago, rhodie said:

Annoys the hell out of me that we are constantly judged to have "bought" the league title. Came across this:

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/ranked-the-30-most-hated-teams-in-british-football/ss-AAscTUJ?ocid=spartanntp#image=18

Don't worry about it.Of course we bought it, we just didn't spend as much as Liverpool. Oh sorry they haven't won it yet!

I'm sure we have all seen this already but this is the counter argument to us 'buying' the league.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/when-saturday-comes-blog/2013/oct/23/blackburn-premier-league-title-earned-1995

That '30 most hated teams in Britain' article is quite silly really isn't it? Some bonkers inclusions and omissions - e.g. no mention of Celtic under Martin O'Neill, who were loathed by more than just Rangers fans.

For two or three seasons we broke transfer records and competed financially against the biggest and best around. 

Yes we bought the league, simply by buying the better players around at that time.

Just like City, Chelski, United, Arsenal etc. Perhaps the only exception since we won the league would be Leicester. All else it could easily be argued they bought the league, but that title seems reserved for little old Rovers for some reason.

We can't even buy a win against Wimbledon nowadays.

31 minutes ago, Boaty said:

What a ridiculous article. The most hated club is Liverpool its not even up for debate 

Sadly a lot of peoples favourite 2nd team and certainly a media darling. Every bit as bad as the other local red shoite imo although their version of plastic fans in the main are a bit more tolerable as are the proper ones.

Both tourist clubs really these days.

The whole premise is a load of tripe.

Local rivals aside I don't particulary have any feelings either way for any other club. I'm a big Rovers fan; a big Stoke fan, a big Shrewsbury fan and so on is a kindred spirit. We stopped in Uttoxeter on the way to Forest last season, got chatting to a load of Sheff Utd fans on their way to Port Vale, chewed the fat about the game, players we've both had, games between us over the years, thoughts on League 1 as we had an inkling we may be swapping places!

It's what football is all about, so what does push my buttons are glory hunters, this country has a fantastic football culture built on provincial football clubs going back to the 19th century, I just find it so very sad to walk around these towns and cities and seeing glory shirt after glory shirt.

23 hours ago, rhodie said:

Annoys the hell out of me that we are constantly judged to have "bought" the league title. Came across this:

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/ranked-the-30-most-hated-teams-in-british-football/ss-AAscTUJ?ocid=spartanntp#image=18

Probably because we've got 3 clubs that think that they are our main rivals (Dingles, Preston & Bolton).

It can't be easy for the fans of rival teams, seeing the blue and white ribbons of BRFC draped over two major trophies in their lifetime. In the modern era, with huge coverage in the UK and overseas, that put Blackburn Rovers firmly on the map. Hate & Jealously are very close relations.

On 9/19/2017 at 13:57, onlyonejackwalker said:

For two or three seasons we broke transfer records and competed financially against the biggest and best around. 

Yes we bought the league, simply by buying the better players around at that time.

Just like City, Chelski, United, Arsenal etc. Perhaps the only exception since we won the league would be Leicester. All else it could easily be argued they bought the league, but that title seems reserved for little old Rovers for some reason.

We can't even buy a win against Wimbledon nowadays.

We probably spent less than leicester comparitively speaking. 

On 19/09/2017 at 13:56, oldjamfan1 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/when-saturday-comes-blog/2013/oct/23/blackburn-premier-league-title-earned-1995

no mention of Celtic under Martin O'Neill, who were loathed by more than just Rangers fans.

Nearly every friendly they play in England sees some crowd trouble,there was plenty aggro at Ewood when we played them in Europe.

Loathsome anti British gobshytes who's majority of so called supporters revell in it.

On 20/09/2017 at 14:24, RV Blue said:

Probably because we've got 3 clubs that think that they are our main rivals (Dingles, Preston & Bolton).

I thought preston's was blackpool... Don't they call them the 'donkey lashers' or something?

3 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Nearly every friendly they play in England sees some crowd trouble,there was plenty aggro at Ewood when we played them in Europe.

Loathsome anti British gobshytes who's majority of so called supporters revell in it.

The recent trouble at Sunderland was instigated by 'Sunderland' fans on the back of former EDL leader Tommy Robinson arranging a book signing session in Sunderland  to coincide with the game taking place. Not good timing but, of course, that was the intention.

When we played up at Celtic in the UEFA Cup, we stayed at a hotel in the Gorbals. The morning afterwards, in the bar, Celtic fans from Ireland were very complimentary about how we played and were buying us whiskey after whiskey. We went around the city centre prior to the game and never had any problems at all.

Celtic fans sing sectarian songs at the games, course they do, it's part of their heritage, wether you agree with it or not. Most of it is for show on game day.  I've been up watching Celtic countless times and been in some of the ruffest pubs imaginable, in the east end. When they hear our English accents, they have always been interested in why we are up watching them and we have always been met with genuine friendliness.

Every club has its idiots and Celtic are no different. With their massive fan base, they just have a few more than other clubs.

18 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Every club has its idiots and Celtic are no different. With their massive fan base, they just have a few more than other clubs.

This is precisely why I cringe whenever I'm regaled with a story of why *insert team* have to worst fans. It's just like wider society, different nationalities, religions etc - there is a percentage of any cross section of people, who are simply "bad uns".

On 9/22/2017 at 17:15, Claytons Left Boot said:

Celtic fans sing sectarian songs at the games, course they do, it's part of their heritage, wether you agree with it or not. Most of it is for show on game day.  I've been up watching Celtic countless times and been in some of the ruffest pubs imaginable, in the east end. When they hear our English accents, they have always been interested in why we are up watching them and we have always been met with genuine friendliness.

The year we played them in the UEFA Cup their fans won the award for 'Best Fans in Europe'. I guarantee you that every police officer that was on duty during their away games at Ewood Park and Anfield during that cup run would have been scratching his or her head at that news. Its like turning the clock back whenever one of the Old Firm are playing. Sadly the sectarianism exists way beyond 'game day' up here (though admittedly it isn't as bad as it once was).

You are very lucky to have had such positive experiences Mark. 

7 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

The year we played them in the UEFA Cup their fans won the award for 'Best Fans in Europe'. I guarantee you that every police officer that was on duty during their away games at Ewood Park and Anfield during that cup run would have been scratching his or her head at that news. Its like turning the clock back whenever one of the Old Firm are playing. Sadly the sectarianism exists way beyond 'game day' up here (though admittedly it isn't as bad as it once was).

You are very lucky to have had such positive experiences Mark. 

The worst I ever experienced Andy, was when we were up for a Scottish Cup semi final at Hampden. Didn't appear to be many pubs in that area (surprising for Glasgow!) and the one we ended up in was clearly a Rangers pub. Plenty of Celtic fans in there but also plenty of locals. We were made to take colours off and you could cut the tension with a knife. We had a couple of pints and were glad when we left.

The problem when we played Celtic at Ewood was that the local council bent over backwards to keep the Celtic fans in drink for the day. Eight thousand in the Darwen End plus the extra thousands that travelled. For those that travelled down early, the Cavendish (or whatever it was called at the time) was open from midday, so it was little wonder most of them were p!ssed out of their heads.

I suppose I haven't really experienced any sectarianism because I only used to be up on game days and when I was, I was supporting Celtic rather than the opposition and having to dodge Celtic fans!

Archived