BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] You can't beat a football ground

Gav

Just now, Gav said:

Davie Cooper also died at such a young age 39, fantastic players, made his name for Rangers during the 80's and died from a brain hemorrhage.

Remember the name, can't remember the player. Left-footer perhaps? I only really remember O'Donnell from watching him on tele. Must have been the Champions League on ITV. It's nice they've honoured him with a stand.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Remember the name, can't remember the player. Left-footer perhaps? I only really remember O'Donnell from watching him on tele. Must have been the Champions League on ITV. It's nice they've honoured him with a stand.

Yes a left winger, tricky, very good player for Rangers during the 80's but the question will always remain, just how good are these players plying their trade in the Scottish leagues? but Cooper was a class act, replaced by Mark Walters I think under Souness.

• 5 weeks later...

Saw this picture of the The Riverside recently before the fences went up, late 60's maybe?

Love the nets and the seats in the top of The Riverside with 'Reserved' painted on the back.

Any older fans remember the corner between The Riverside and Darwen End being called 'Little Wembley'? or is that bunkum?

image.jpeg.24219917ae51cb9a3e882a85254c55c1.jpeg

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Any older fans remember the corner between The Riverside and Darwen End being called 'Little Wembley'? or is that bunkum?

Bunkum.

Kidder Street was behind the old Blackburn End. Little Wembley was behind Kidder Street, where car park H currently is.

7 hours ago, Gav said:

Saw this picture of the The Riverside recently before the fences went up, late 60's maybe?

Love the nets and the seats in the top of The Riverside with 'Reserved' painted on the back.

You can just see the half-time scoreboard on the extreme left of the perimeter wall, black with yellow letters.

6 hours ago, AggyBlue said:

Bunkum.

Kidder Street was behind the old Blackburn End. Little Wembley was behind Kidder Street, where car park H currently is.

Ah, I wonder if its me getting things mixed up.

Don't remember the pitch at all at the back of Kidder Street, but I do remember 'Porter Lancastrian' they had a factory at the back of Kidder Street in 80's.

Does anyone remember the small section of terracing between Riverside and Darwen end? did that area have a name of its own? 

8 hours ago, Gav said:

I would say that picture was more mid 70's

4 hours ago, Gav said:

Ah, I wonder if its me getting things mixed up.

Don't remember the pitch at all at the back of Kidder Street, but I do remember 'Porter Lancastrian' they had a factory at the back of Kidder Street in 80's.

Does anyone remember the small section of terracing between Riverside and Darwen end? did that area have a name of its own? 

Porter was late 80s and they were further down than little wembley.  in the 80s little wembley was a car park and truck park for loading from the warehouse (which could have been Porter actually)

5 hours ago, rigger said:

I would say that picture was more mid 70's

Do you remember when the fences went up rigger?

Whilst they saved all out warfare in the ground, I bet many fans moaned like hell at the prospect of not being bale to move ends at HT.

13 hours ago, Gav said:

Them nets are class.

In fact, that picture is class. Way before my time but I'd love to see a return to terracing.

2 hours ago, Gav said:

Do you remember when the fences went up rigger?

Whilst they saved all out warfare in the ground, I bet many fans moaned like hell at the prospect of not being bale to move ends at HT.

I can't remember for certain, but I thought the 80's

2 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Them nets are class.

In fact, that picture is class. Way before my time but I'd love to see a return to terracing.

Looks such a smart ground there and to think at one time that was probably the best stand in the country.

My first view of it from that angle was a bit different I think, just an empty terrace with the rusty framework of that old stand left.

By Spring 1980 the Riverside, Blackburn End and Darwen End already had perimeter fencing but the Nuttall Street Stand Enclosures either side of the tunnel did not. Perimeter fencing was installed there shortly after.

Ken Bates went one step further at Stamford Bridge than at any other ground - Chelsea had electrified fences.

16 hours ago, Gav said:

A picture that brings back many happy memories.

Such an iconic stand with bags of character.

9 minutes ago, MCMC1875 said:

By Spring 1980 the Riverside, Blackburn End and Darwen End already had perimeter fencing but the Nuttall Street Stand Enclosures either side of the tunnel did not. Perimeter fencing was installed there shortly after.

Ken Bates went one step further at Stamford Bridge than at any other ground - Chelsea had electrified fences.

He never actually switched them on, couldn't get it past the health and safety  :lol:

On 9/26/2017 at 14:21, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I used to like going to Darlington. Walking across the cricket pitch to Feethams.

Played cricket there - and watched footy at Feethams. 

What league are Darlo in now ? 

Conference North. They missed out on the playoffs last year because their ground wasn't up to scratch - apparently they share a local rugby ground now. Their misfortune led to Chorley making the playoffs in 6th who eventually missed out in the final at Halifax.

18 hours ago, Gav said:

Ground looks very smart, and the grass is immaculate. I would say late 1960s, probably before the start of the season in August.

I loved the old Ewood, though it was well past its sell-by date by 1990. 

2 hours ago, meadows said:

There were some dark times for football leading up to Hillsborough -

True. Grounds were decrepit, hooliganism rife and attendances and were plummeting. The pro game looked doomed. 

On 10/26/2017 at 07:42, Dreams of 1995 said:

Them nets are class.

After I out grew the Blackburn end, the halway line steps, 1st pole to the Darwen End side is where I stood every other week along with a good sized Accy contingent.  If I close my eyes I can still see the halftime teddy flying around.  Magical days.

Archived