BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] You can't beat a football ground

Gav

7 minutes ago, USABlue said:

After I out grew the Blackburn end, the halway line steps, 1st pole to the Darwen End side is where I stood every other week along with a good sized Accy contingent.  If I close my eyes I can still see the halftime teddy flying around.  Magical days.

They were great days USAB, I used to stand halfway up just to the Blackburn End side of the halfway line steps. The teddy rests in folklore! We had nowt then but had everything!

I'm going to Wigan tomorrow with a group of lads that are of the same era (early seventies) and we've been pals ever since.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, jumpin' said:

From my grandmothers recollection, the bit between the Riverside & Darwen End was called the Spion Kop. 

My Dad tells me The Little Kop - so we're on the right lines jumpin, appreciate that :tu:

9 minutes ago, USABlue said:

After I out grew the Blackburn end, the halway line steps, 1st pole to the Darwen End side is where I stood every other week along with a good sized Accy contingent.  If I close my eyes I can still see the halftime teddy flying around.  Magical days.

Why the teddy USA? never understood it?

4 hours ago, meadows said:

This is the Ferencvaros stadium  most visitors to Budapest will have passed it on the way in from the airport. 

7DA2C8CB-31FB-4C46-A829-63A4BFE19451.jpeg

Interesting photos, Meadows. 

I watched Hungary vs USA in Ferencvaros stadium back in 1990 when I was working out there. A bit more ramshackle then.. 

A couple of years ago, we visited again to watch a game but couldn't get tickets. Hundreds of police outside and inside the ground dressed like storm troopers from Star Wars. Ferencvaros fans have a Millwall-like reputation in the country. 

The Hungarians are still fiercely proud of their 1950s national football team. They'll always bring up their victories against England when you talk football.  Honved means 'soldier' which tells you all you need to know about how the game was organised there at the time. 

• 1 month later...
On 20/09/2017 at 14:23, Hanks said:

I was at the county ground Northampton watching a game against Lancashire in the 80's and they used to share with the football club. During the Lunch break I had a walk around the football part of the ground, The pitch was being used as an overflow car park.. Never been to a football game there but it must have been odd playing in a three sided stadium

Bramall Lane was the same. My grandfather was an architect on the works done there in the 1920s.

On 27/10/2017 at 19:43, jumpin' said:

From my grandmothers recollection, the bit between the Riverside & Darwen End was called the Spion Kop. 

Where I watched from before it was fenced off- fantastic view from there.

Would walk down from Darwen, enter the Darwen End turnstiles, walk through the visiting fans and take up a spot in the middle about two thirds back.

On 9/26/2017 at 14:26, Gav said:

Yes a left winger, tricky, very good player for Rangers during the 80's but the question will always remain, just how good are these players plying their trade in the Scottish leagues? but Cooper was a class act, replaced by Mark Walters I think under Souness.

Linked to us when Mackay was manager when we signed Dawson and Munro. Great player

Archived