SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Shrewsbury Away

Ricky

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

'Short on pace and iffy at the back'. Only takes an opposition fan 90 minutes to suss us out. Pity none of our managers/overlords over the past 7 years have remedied either.

55 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

The commentators on Radio Lancs were of the view he's a deep lying midfield player.  Definitely not a wide man.

If TM is making him our main summer signing i wish a) he'd play him and b ) he'd play him in his best position!

1st time I've seen him play. An infuriatingly frustrating player who can obviously kick a ball straight but also has the headless chicken about him

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mowbray was open and honest in his imterview. Surely that you want or do you Coyle type of comments? 

Id prefer he said nothing but knew how to pick a team and when to make subs.

No need to bring Coyle into it. No one wants that.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

from BBC Radio Lancs commentary I listened to, our performance was very poor. But we got a point at the end of the day. 

Chapman and Antonsson seemed to have a positive impact. 

Graham didn't perform again. Ward and Raya were pathetic. 

Mowbray post match comments saying it was unacceptable performance by the players. 

We have had two unacceptable performances in a row Tony.............

Worst performance of the season and we still managed to pick up a point away against the league leaders. Just imagine how well we'll be doing when we start playing well.

I think the knives are out here a little prematurely on Mowbray, 13 points from 8 games, taking into consideration we've played five of them away (three against teams who currently sit in the top 5) isn't a dreadful start. If the Blackpool game gets cancelled we'll have six of our next eight games at home as well as a trip to bottom of the table Oldham. That's a big chance to create some momentum, put right our poor home form and build on the solid, if unspectacular, start we've made to the season.

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mowbray was open and honest in his imterview. Surely that you want or do you Coyle type of comments? 

He's been speaking a lot of rubbish this season but to be quite honest I couldn't care less what he says, he needs to walk the walk not talk the talk and this season, hes sadly not done that.

1 hour ago, AAK said:

I want someone who is willing to put his neck on the line and give these lot a kick up the arse and tell us that we should be the team to beat 

Any decision at Rovers seemingly goes to the bottom of Desai's inbox to wait for the green light. That's why we'll never appoint a good manager while Venkys are at the helm. Rovers are an afterthought, and I can't think of one good manager that we've ever had under them. I don't expect that to ever change.

Venkys aside, that defeat against Wimbledon has probably set Mowbray's fate in motion. I think it's the worst result for us that I've ever seen, and the more I dwell on it, the more the it makes me disbelieve that he'll get us promoted. Wimbledon are awful, and we should have put them to the sword. Defeat was unimaginable, but Mowbray somehow managed it.

Then again, I predicted we'd finish 12th, so he's due some credit on my part so far. ^_^

Just now, neophox said:

This team on tuesday?

Raya

Bennett, Downing, Mulgrew, Williams

Chapman, Whittingham, Smallwood, Conway

Dack, Samuel

Here we have creativity and pace...

I'm scratching my head here like most of us. I could see Bennett at right back ok. Downing could possibly be an improvement on Ward. What has Whittingham done to get a game , especially in a midfield of  4 ? Like I said on another thread players are being put forward to get a game not because they've done well but because the players with the shirts  are so poor. 

I'm really more concerned at our lack of ability to play coherent football than I am about the results.

Hardly the worst result in the world, against the league leaders. It's a bit of a shame we didn't nick it at the end, but by the law of averages, we were due a draw.

I didn't watch all the game- only the second half on a stream. The second goal is clearly Raya'a fault- coming out to punch and being left stranded is unforgivable. To me, that's the biggest concern I've got, with regards to the team. It makes me wonder what the other keeper's like. 

One thing I've found at every game I've been too this season, is how bad we are at connecting with the ball in the box, when it's the air, when we're attacking. Again, this appeared to be a problem, from the second half I saw. I can't remember us being so poor in the air, offensively.

On a different note, with me not going to games much these days for reasons we do not need to go in to, the one thing that becomes really obvious very quickly is how much time is wasted singing about Burnley. 

I was sick of the word Burnley by the end of the game. Burnley this, Burnley that, on the terraces, on the concourse. The shrewsbury fans probably thought they had turned up to the wrong game.

I much prefer it when we sing about Rovers and cheer them instead of focusing the entire bloody game on giving attention to that lot

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'm scratching my head here like most of us. I could see Bennett at right back ok. Downing could possibly be an improvement on Ward. What has Whittingham done to get a game , especially in a midfield of  4 ? Like I said on another thread players are being put forward to get a game not because they've done well but because the players with the shirts  are so poor. 

I'm really concerned at our lack of ability to play coherent football more than I am about the results.

Whittingam looks like another Danny Murphy at the minute to me. He's come for one final pay off. He's done bugger all in the games I've been too.

18 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Throw in Doncaster and Southend too. As I've said countless times, if points were given for talking we'd be spanking teams every week, Mercer style.

Burnley too. If you can't fire a team up against the closest rivals then you've got issues.

14 minutes ago, neophox said:

This team on tuesday?

Raya

Bennett, Downing, Mulgrew, Williams

Chapman, Whittingham, Smallwood, Conway

Dack, Samuel

Here we have creativity and pace...

We need two strikers, not one. Whittingham's not up to it, from what I've seen so far too. He's replaced Evans as Mr. Nobody in my eyes. I don't get this obsession with Bennett at the back either, some have on here. He's a midfielder. I can't remember him ever playing at in defence, in all my time watching Rovers.

4 minutes ago, AlanK said:

On a different note, with me not going to games much these days for reasons we do not need to go in to, the one thing that becomes really obvious very quickly is how much time is wasted singing about Burnley. 

I was sick of the word Burnley by the end of the game. Burnley this, Burnley that, on the terraces, on the concourse. The shrewsbury fans probably thought they had turned up to the wrong game.

I much prefer it when we sing about Rovers and cheer them instead of focusing the entire bloody game on giving attention to that lot

Sign of the times.

They never used to shut up about us, whilst we largely laughed at the goings on over there, now the roles have reversed.

I'm afraid a lot of our fans are embracing the embittered lower league fan approach.

Mowbray probably clinging to the idea that an unchanged back 4 is more reliable???

I can accept lack of ability(it is League 1 after all). But not lack of effort.  So Smallwood always first name on the teamsheet for me.Chapman is quality,making things happen.What does the lad have to do to get a start?  Might as well motivate the lads that really are trying to make things happen. These 2,Samuels, & Dack starting for me.

The other 2 is anyones guess but Graham appears lethargic in the extreme. So swap for Nuttall on the bench.

Isnt that what Mowbray is paid to do-make decisions? Sort of .....like positive ones.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I've run out of patience with Graham, he needs a kick up the backside. I'd leave him out of the squad totally if I'd my way.

Was only saying on the other forum roversfans.com how much I wanted to see Graham and Chapman start. He looks finished to me, I'd heard he didn't train as much due to a hip problem?

4 minutes ago, scotchrover said:

We need two strikers, not one. Whittingham's not up to it, from what I've seen so far too. He's replaced Evans as Mr. Nobody in my eyes. I don't get this obsession with Bennett at the back either, some have on here. He's a midfielder. I can't remember him ever playing at in defence, in all my time watching Rovers.

You say we need two strikers but Graham hasn't done anything this season and Antonnson has looked poor too so unless Nuttall is ready to step up I don't see why we are going with two up top.Dack has proven with Gillingham he can score goals playing off the front man.Bennett has played full back at Bristol and at Norwich in the past and although I'd rather Nyambe back or give Travis a try I honestly think Bennett would offer more than Caddis at full back

Mowbray could justifiably make five or six changes from the starting eleven for Tuesday night. Ward, Caddis and Williams were poor and with the likes of Downing, Hart, Travis and Doyle we could improve massively. Evans, Bennett, Graham and Samuel were poor today with the latter two offering nothing. They both looked lazy and half hearted. Dack was out of position and looked a different player when he moved inside behind Samuel. Until the substitutions and change of shape we were going nowhere and once again Chapman could have been our man of the match despite only playing twenty or so minutes. He simply has to start on Tuesday. Some real thinking for Mowbray before the Rotherham game and I hope he is bold, plays players in their correct positions and really goes for it. He will probably let me down on two of the three.

That said I would have taken a point at 3 o'clock but the manner of the performance was hugely disappointing.

Archived