Just now, Mike E said:

From the various opinions above, should the next game see us field:

Raya

Nyambe Downing Mulgrew Doyle

Smallwood   Whittingham

Bennett        Dack      Chapman

Samuel

Tbh, I like the look of that!

Yeah I'd be happy enough with that side although unsure with Whittingham,Tomlinson maybe worth a shout?Hunt was on the bench today too so maybe Mowbray feels he is more ready than Doyle.Of the under 23 games I've watched Travis has been the stand out for me so if Nyambe isn't fit then I'd go with him

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shrewsbury have taken 22 points from 24 I believe before todays game and we more than matched them I thought.

A game that lacked quality and chances at either end, but we're in the 3rd division, a point that far to many Rovers fans seem to be missing, its bound to lack quality, players will make mistakes, that the level we're at now.

The game turned on Mowbrays 3 subs, the side came alive and the goal came, we deserved a draw and all credit to Mowbray for his substitutions.

Fans on the whole very good, chaos when the goal went in, it was like we'd won the league!

What ucking planet are you on moment of the day:

Girl arrives just after kickoff, sits in first seats she sees free, steward rightly asks her to move to her correct seat, she proceeded to have a major shed collapse shouting abuse in the stewards face

"I'm not walking all the way up those steps when this seats free"

You couldn't make it up, she went to her seat, silly cow.

What ucking planet is she on?

Onwards and upwards.

Just now, Athlete said:

Hard to say btbh we may be stronger at the back.. But one up front no thanks.. We've been powder puff up top all season.. Tbh TM has signed some garbage 

The thing is Athlete Graham and Antonnson have been poor so unless Nuttall is ready it doesn't really give us many options to go with two up front.Dack is our most expensive signing ,he has a decent enough goalscoring record playing off the front,two up top hasn't been working. Admittedly I've only seen Dack live a couple of times when he has turned out for Rovers ,I work every second Saturday so unfortunately can't get to away games,but from what I have seen live and clips from his Gillingham games he is most effective finding little pockets of space threading balls through and running beyond the striker and getting into goalscoring positions

Just now, Bluebarley said:

I don't think a draw is that bad away could become useful towards the end, I never went so unfair to even analyse what did go on or what didnt on go but I feel a sense of who posts what to read & what to ignore.

The result is much better than the performance. Error ridden and pretty poor fare. The last 10 minutes were better....but why does it take so long for them to get going, as an attacking force.

I have to say I am worried that this manager and this bunch of players lack what it takes for promotion that seems vital this year. 

Graham?- well he has delighted me for long enough. The Alice band says it all!

Singularly unimpressed and feeling short changed.

3 minutes ago, Gav said:

Shrewsbury have taken 22 points from 24 I believe before todays game and we more than matched them I thought.

A game that lacked quality and chances at either end, but we're in the 3rd division, a point that far to many Rovers fans seem to be missing, its bound to lack quality, players will make mistakes, that the level we're at now.

The game turned on Mowbrays 3 subs, the side came alive and the goal came, we deserved a draw and all credit to Mowbray for his substitutions.

Fans on the whole very good, chaos when the goal went in, it was like we'd won the league!

What ucking planet are you on moment of the day:

Girl arrives just after kickoff, sits in first seats she sees free, steward rightly asks her to move to her correct seat, she proceeded to have a major shed collapse shouting abuse in the stewards face

"I'm not walking all the way up those steps when this seats free"

You couldn't make it up, she went to her seat, silly cow.

What ucking planet is she on?

Onwards and upwards.

Ladies and gentlemen, BRFCS presents you, chaddys love child.

7 minutes ago, islander200 said:

The thing is Athlete Graham and Antonnson have been poor so unless Nuttall is ready it doesn't really give us many options to go with two up front.Dack is our most expensive signing ,he has a decent enough goalscoring record playing off the front,two up top hasn't been working. Admittedly I've only seen Dack live a couple of times when he has turned out for Rovers ,I work every second Saturday so unfortunately can't get to away games,but from what I have seen live and clips from his Gillingham games he is most effective finding little pockets of space threading balls through and running beyond the striker and getting into goalscoring positions

Dack seemed decent at Gillingham but unfortunately.. Again only from limited bits I've seen and from second hand info last season he was poor

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

Dreadful performance but a useful point.  But for a fantastic save by Raya in the second half we would have been two down and it would have been game over.  Defensively we look very poor and as soon as Nyambe's fit he has to be in for Caddis whilst Doyle and Downing must surely come in for Williams and Ward.  Chapman should be given a start on Tuesday - head and shoulders above any of our team in terms of creating chances.  A change of plan from the manager is badly needed.  At the moment we are so defensive, so slow in both thought and movement and lack any real goal threat.  We look anything but promotion candidates at the moment.  I know it's early days but the signs aren't good.

Given you generally look on the positive side and given that taken in isolation this is a good point to hear such a negative view is very worrying.

Never been a big fan of Nayambe but at least he has the athleticism for the role and will improve. Caddis looks like a pub player and performs little better.

As for Chapman not sure which of TM's family he must have slept with but it's the only explanation for why he hasn't yet started.

They say it's the sign of a good tram team to play badly and pick up points. Hopefully that'll be the case with us and we'll click soon. Not changing from my 5 match assessment yet - 1 down and a solid point. Hopefully we can kick on and get the win vs Rotherham. Lose there and alarm bells are definitely ringing...

I'd like to see the side completely freshened up. Not all the changes might come off but at the very least it sends a message that if you dont perform your place is in jeapordy.

Dack in a central role and Chapman for Bennett seem like musts ro me but I think you could also make a case for the two young full backs, Wharton for Ward, Tomlinson fot Evans and Nuttall in the squad to put pressure on the strikers none of whom are firing on all cylinders. 

4 minutes ago, Tom said:

None of the strikers are in form - let's stick Nuttall on the bench, he may not be the best but seems fearless and there's nothing to lose in giving it a go.

No service Tom, they ran around, even Graham was chasing lost causes, but we created very little.

We broke out of our half many times during the game but the final ball was terrible, you can't blame the strikers for that.

Chapman was superb when he came on, that lad needs to start if he's like that every week!

26 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'm scratching my head here like most of us. I could see Bennett at right back ok. Downing could possibly be an improvement on Ward. What has Whittingham done to get a game , especially in a midfield of  4 ? Like I said on another thread players are being put forward to get a game not because they've done well but because the players with the shirts  are so poor. 

I'm really more concerned at our lack of ability to play coherent football than I am about the results.

Bennett at RB could be an interesting shout behind Chapman; enough of a defender though?

Didn't he play as a right wing back for Bristol City when he was there? Personally think he's a wide midfielder though and  play one of our actual right backs there. We've tried to shoehorn players into positions they aren't properly suited for for far too long. Give one the young lads a try and see if they can do any bette.

59 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

As for Chapman not sure which of TM's family he must have slept with but it's the only explanation for why he hasn't yet started...

I"m not sure he is defensively aware enough to start him away at the league leaders.  Impact player at the moment, very young and lacks a bit of maturity.  If we had a top 3 team, we could accomodate him and his weaknesses and profit from his good points.  Its not cut and dried that he starts in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Mike E said:

From the various opinions above, should the next game see us field:

Raya

Nyambe Downing Mulgrew Doyle

Smallwood   Whittingham

Bennett        Dack      Chapman

Samuel

Tbh, I like the look of that!

Exactly that.

We can't all be wrong.

A few things strike me reading this forum.

Whatever our history, whatever players we have at our disposal - we were playing a team who has only dropped 2 points all season. Shrewsbury must be doing something right - listening on the radio - they sounded well organised with a strong work ethic - well suited to a more robust league where referees allow far more than I have seen for a long time. So based on that - a deserved point away from home has to be viewed as a good point. Any opposing fans reading this forum would I am sure view some of the comments on here as showing a certain amount of arrogance - as though teams are going to roll-over because we have on paper a better team.

Anybody wonder why Smallwood has been one of our better players - IMO he knows the league, he knows what he can get away with - and always brings 100% effort. When some of our more gifted players become more acclimatized to League 1 hopefully results will improve even more (in truth, points wise not a terrible start).

For those wanting Chapman to start (and I personally agree) - please give him some time. After the last match, and his late cameo appearance, everyone wanted Graham to start and Antonsson to be dropped - today it sounds like positions were reversed with Graham coming in for stick and Antonsson getting some positive comments for his brief appearance. You can't ignore the difference starting a match - to coming on against tiring players. Chapman has looked good against tiring defences - no guarantees he will be as good starting a match - but he must be worth a shot.

For those expecting stylish football - I fear we will only see it in patches - as every team is going to raise their game when they play us and run themselves into the ground. Second half of the season that could change - as the novelty wears off - but, as an ex Premiership team and one time Champions, we will always be a big scalp in this league.

Over the season - it will be interesting to see how many teams lose the match after playing Rovers.  

BTW - for those going how much different it would be if we had Souness - if my memory is correct, results early doors in the season we got promoted were patchy - and only started to pick up after we brought in Hughes. So lets give Mowbray a little more time. 

Chapman at the moment falls into the impact player category away for me only issue I have there is he should use him a lot earlier than he does. Might be nice to start him at home though and start having a go at teams from the off, home style is too similar to Bowyers imo.

Away even though they weren't playing well today it seemed to be working again until the usual two suspects committed harri karri again, that's got to be nipped in the bud one way or another. Called for an experienced keeper to replace Steele and I stand by that if we want to build a promotion side.

14 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

So lets give Mowbray a little more time.

My worry is that Mowbray has been here for seven months, but our formation and best XI are all up in the air. It needs to settle, or we're going to continue to be inconsistent.

3 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I'd like to see the side completely freshened up. Not all the changes might come off but at the very least it sends a message that if you dont perform your place is in jeapordy.

Dack in a central role and Chapman for Bennett seem like musts ro me but I think you could also make a case for the two young full backs, Wharton for Ward, Tomlinson fot Evans and Nuttall in the squad to put pressure on the strikers none of whom are firing on all cylinders. 

Again, obsessed with having a dig at Bennett. Really is weird Rev. Conway for Chapman seems more likely, Bennett has more about him than Conway does these days and most rovers fans would agree on that. The way you constantly criticise someone who is a true professional and despite not being a world beater plays for the shirt and is always the first to come over to the fans after games is beyond me, give it a rest man. 

Just now, Butty said:

Again, obsessed with having a dig at Bennett. Really is weird Rev. Conway for Chapman seems more likely, Bennett has more about him than Conway does these days and most rovers fans would agree on that. The way you constantly criticise someone who is a true professional and despite not being a world beater plays for the shirt and is always the first to come over to the fans after games is beyond me, give it a rest man. 

It makes a lot more sense to me to replace Bennett with Chapman as Chapman is right footed and I dont like inverted wingers who have to cut back onto their stronger foot.

Dont understand peoples obssession with Bennett. He is devoid of any drive ambition or pace and is one of the main reasons we cant break down sides at home.

11 hours ago, Dunnfc said:

Your standards are low, this is Blackburn Rovers and we shouldn't be grateful for such small gestures as a late point at bloody Shrewsbury 

My standards are realistic. Top of the table no losses and 1-0 up until the 85th minute. As the manager said unacceptable performance but take the away point and move on. We haven’t cracked the code yet. We are new to this division. We better start winning some home games to match our away form. 

Three points really yesterday. 

Williams is robbing a living, he is so so so bad I can't believe we're paying him

Chapman is our best player by a mile

That absolute weapon with a burnley shirt on soon covered it up at the final whistle before he got a good hiding. 

Archived