BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Harry Chapman

• Backroom

Palmer got branded as a show pony early but his work rate has been good recently.

Because of his languid style on the ball it’s reslly noticeable when he gives the ball away but I like that he’s always looking to make things happen.

6 minutes ago, Tom said:

Palmer got branded as a show pony early but his work rate has been good recently.

Because of his languid style on the ball it’s reslly noticeable when he gives the ball away but I like that he’s always looking to make things happen.

See I thought his work rate was good against West Brom but then against QPR thought he went back to looking like a show pony

14 minutes ago, Tom said:

To me his problem is that he has a tendency to lose the ball when his team -mates have run past him, this puts the defence under unneeded pressure.

• Like 1

Not sure if we have a chance of signing Reed, but would definitely prefer the permanent signing of Chapman than Palmer.

If (appreciate its a big if) we can get Chapman fit and keep him fit then he is a really exciting player. Very rare to find a young English player in our price bracket with his pace, ability to go past players and score. And Dack seems to like him which would make him another anchor tying our best player to the club.

Palmer has some decent tricks and can hold on to the ball. But I don't see him really hurting opposition teams too often when he has the ball. 

I would be excited if we sign Chapman in January!

3 hours ago, Bucksrover said:

Not sure if we have a chance of signing Reed, but would definitely prefer the permanent signing of Chapman than Palmer.

If (appreciate its a big if) we can get Chapman fit and keep him fit then he is a really exciting player. Very rare to find a young English player in our price bracket with his pace, ability to go past players and score. And Dack seems to like him which would make him another anchor tying our best player to the club.

Palmer has some decent tricks and can hold on to the ball. But I don't see him really hurting opposition teams too often when he has the ball. 

I would be excited if we sign Chapman in January!

Think its time to let that one go now.

We were hoping he would recover from the injury he had with us - he did and has had what, 2 or 3 injuries since then barely half a season after he went back home. Looked to have a very promising career but I am not so sure now.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm not sure on the plan to loan him out either. He is just as likely to be injured on loan as here, maybe moreso. TM doesnt think he is good enough to start for us when fit yet...I do, but most importantly we need to find out. If we don't know by summer, then, for me, we are gonna need to sign someone else for the flanks as it isn't a strong area for us. Then Harry will just end up being loaned out for years like our equivalent of Todd Kane.

8 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I'm not sure on the plan to loan him out either. He is just as likely to be injured on loan as here, maybe moreso. TM doesnt think he is good enough to start for us when fit yet...I do, but most importantly we need to find out. If we don't know by summer, then, for me, we are gonna need to sign someone else for the flanks as it isn't a strong area for us. Then Harry will just end up being loaned out for years like our equivalent of Todd Kane.

I assumed that was some very subtle sarcasm from CPBS! If not... :rolleyes:

Chapman’s strength was his blistering pace. If he has hamstring issues then he may not be worth the risk. I’d be doing a loan deal with deal in place with the player if he maintains his fitness during that spell. He is out of contract in the Summer IIRC.

Such a shame the way things have worked out for him - especially being dicked around by Pulis on deadline day and missing the window, then being well down the playing order at Boro.

Really don't know where I stand on this one as I liked him and he had obvious talent but the type of injuries he's had make it a very long shot. I'd be interested to see the type of contract they'd put in front of him and hope it's not an old boys network job feeling sorry for a lad who could well be facing the football scrapyard at such a young age.

43 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Didn't Mowbray say recently that we might be looking to sign a young player in this window and send him out on loan straight away?

If we do sign Chapman, and I don't think we will. Mowbray won't play him at the moment.

Please don't tell me TM thinks Chapman is a long-term investment!!! That is ridiculous!

There's a lot to consider with Chapman.

If he didn't have so many problems with his hamstring we'd be throwing money at Boro to get him. Seems like he was doing alright for Boro under 23's earlier in the season but he's had 2 further hamstring injuries since then. It's hard to know what state he will be in if he does arrive. We don't know if he will still have that quickness, he may be permanently damaged.

Boro aren't bothered with him but won't let him go for free. He's out of contract in the summer but they could just offer him another contract in the summer to get some compensation. You'd think we'd be better waiting and trying to pick him up for free in the summer on a small contract to try minimise our risk.

But the lad has missed a year and a halfs worth of football since the start of last season. He's also missed a big chunk of the season before he came to us so he's really short on actual football. If we signed him Tony definitely wouldn't start him but would be a better attacking option on the bench than say Conway, is the odd 15/20 mins here and there going to progress him enough though. Would starting 15 games in a row in league 1 be too much for him with the injuries he's had, maybe a slower build with our first team would be less of a risk that way we can build him up physically to try make his body more robust. Imagine if we end up pushing the playoffs and he's fit and firing elsewhere, if he's fit then he could contribute. 

The other thing to consider is players of his style are not cheap, if we don't get Chapman i can't see us going in for an out and out winger that we need.

To summarise what others have said on here, heart says yes head says no.

25 minutes ago, philipl said:

Surely, a loan with a call option is ideal.

You can't recall a player once the window has shut and if he played for his loan club he couldn't play for us anyway as he would have already played for 2 teams in a season.

I'd take Chapman on loan but I certainly wouldn't be spending money and committing to a contract. He's hardly played any football for more than year, his pace is his big attribute and after numerous hamstring injuries at least some of that pace is going to have gone. There is no doubt that we need a pacey winger the 3 players I have said before that I would be looking at would be Hunter at Fleetwood, Lowe at Portsmouth or Dembele at Peterborough.

• Like 1