BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Harry Chapman

12 hours ago, FGS5635 said:

Im a sucker for an old school winger. Its a dying art it seems and for the life of me I dont know why. Fingers crossed he signs, a really exciting player with small risk, but tremendous potential. Some big ifs, but if he can stay fit and covince TM with his workrate, then what a player he could be

"Small risk" but "big ifs" does not compute. 

Chapman is a huge risk in view of his injury record and lack of recent playing time. A player can have all the potential in the world but it means nothing if he is never on the field of play. Perhaps he's being signed to keep Davenport company in the treatment room?

I jut don't get the point of paying a fee for him then loaning him straight out to 'see' if he's ok ?   All that smacks of is giving him the security blanket of a contract in case he breaks down again whilst we get nothing in return it's an odd manoeuvre if it happens.

At least lets use him here first instead of Brereton for the last ten to fifteen mins of games after a thorough warm up, no doubt this is going to be 'one for the future' line trotted out when it goes tits up.

Really like the player and pray it works out but I don't know whether to be excited or ........

23 minutes ago, Scratch Andy said:

I bet Tom is great fun talking football over a pint !!

Fair enough I probably over stated what I meant. The lad is a good player and all this we are building young and for the future is the right way to go.

But and there's always a but. Will the owners see through this long term job? It's great if we have Dack, Reed, Travis and the likes in 2-3 years but our owners are well know for cashing in to early. 

That the only reason I'm edgy about building long term because it's if it's allowed to happen.

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

"Small risk" but "big ifs" does not compute. 

Chapman is a huge risk in view of his injury record and lack of recent playing time. A player can have all the potential in the world but it means nothing if he is never on the field of play. Perhaps he's being signed to keep Davenport company in the treatment room?

I remember listening to a manager talking about Paul Lake who used to play for 'City. " Bobby Moore with added pace " was his verdict ! Praise indeed there but we never got to see him much because he was always injured.

Another similar case - when Trevor Francis signed for Forest for a British record fee a journalist asked Bill Shankly why Liverpool hadn't shown any interest in him. Shanks said " Look at his style of play, all those rapid stops and starts, he'll be injured for some of the time every season ". Shankly was right about Francis, he spent a lot of his career on the treatment table.

I like Chapman, he's a breath of fresh air and a throwback to when every team had a quick winger on one wing. Like somebody else said " He gets you on your feet ".

I just look at his record at the clubs he's been at in a short career and he's been injured a lot of the time. Not the injuries were you're out for a week or two but the injuries that end your season. 

Anyway if we have signed him - All the best son and I hope you prove me wrong.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

If Chapman comes it will be a case of another signing who may or may not improve the team.  Is he really worth the time, effort, and, most important, the money in fees and wages?.

Rovers would be better putting resources into signing permanently players who definitely make a difference, such as Reed and Rodwell

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

If Chapman comes it will be a case of another signing who may or may not improve the team.  Is he really worth the time, effort, and, most important, the money in fees and wages?.

Rovers would be better putting resources into signing permanently players who definitely make a difference, such as Reed and Rodwell

He'll improve the team if he can stay fit, The big question is can he stay fit ?