BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Harry Chapman

Just now, tomphil said:

You'd be surprised what physios and chiropractors advise and the basic everyday things they take into account.  Didn't we have a player who had to have special car seats made to help stave off a few persistent niggles ?

Think it might have been Duff.

Wasn't it Alan Wright that had knee trouble caused by him driving a Ferrari ?

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Wasn't it Alan Wright that had knee trouble caused by him driving a Ferrari ?

Might have been although I thought it was a few years later, maybe both of them got told to ditch the bucket seats.

Just now, tomphil said:

You'd be surprised what physios and chiropractors advise and the basic everyday things they take into account.  Didn't we have a player who had to have special car seats made to help stave off a few persistent niggles ?

Think it might have been Duff.

It was Duff. They altered the seat in his car to help his hammies, iirc. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Blame the player, blame anything or anyone apart from Mowbray, who is an experienced practitioner in the blame game.

Quite how Chapman can really prove anything without first-team exposure in realtime match conditions is beyond me.

Meanwhile, lack of development is solely down to the player, and the fans who clamoured for him to be signed.

A lovely job where you can just pass the buck whenever it suits,

It’s only ever young lads called out in the media. Really strange when they are the one more likely to need an arm round them.

The likes of Bell, Smallwood and Evans have put in many a stinker yet I’ve never heard a negative word in the press from him.

For such a ‘good human’ he needs to work on his emotional intelligence.

• Like 3

I'm bored of the succession of younger end players Mowbray has brought to the club at considerable expense, rarely put out onto the pitch and spends more time publicly criticising them than playing them. 

Not fit enough, not clever enough, not working hard enough. Why bother signing them?

• Like 2

TM obviously knows there's a talented player in there like we all do, but seeing him day to day considers there is some application missing which keeps him out of the first team picture. It is certainly reminiscent of the Rothwell situation in that he likes his wide players to work hard up & down the line and defend from the front protecting his full back, rather than just relying on his undoubted attacking attributes.

This will no doubt be seen by some as TM hanging a young player out to dry, but he was clearly asked the question and he's answered it forthrightly. I don't see a problem with this as clearly Harry knows the situation from their private chats, and you look through the teams that start most games there's no shortage of effort on show. 

That said, IMO putting Harry on the bench from time to time and giving him a few chances to show what he can do in the last 20 mins of games (preferably when a couple of goals to the good) could prove to be the kick start TM is looking for. Hopefully between now & Xmas he'll get that opportunity, see what he does with it & then take a view in Jan whether he stays & fights for a place or goes out on loan.

Edited by Atko's Engine
  • Like 1

• Backroom

Not sure why this needs such a detailed, warts-and-all explanation. Could easily have just said "Harry is in contention for the first team, but competition is tough at the moment and he has to be patient". But nope. Full on discussion as to every little detail which I, as a player, would not appreciate being put out in the press. Maybe our players are different.

• Like 3

It's encouraging that at least on here some can see through the facade that Mowbray has carefully built up over the years. Mentioning his human values, integrity etc in almost every interview he does is deliberate and quite simple brainwashing of the susceptible.

Cynical most certainly after a lifetime in sales and marketing and meeting chancers of every description.

5 minutes ago, arbitro said:

It's another hatchet job from Mowbray on a young player. I just don't see the value of articles like this when it could seriously impact on the player.

He can't help himself though.

He really is becoming a silly old prick.  All the time wasted with Brereton on the wing, or Bennett hitting his first man or backwards passes, should have been opportunities for this lad.

Its called motivation chaps, if he is adamant about being on the lash rather than knuckling down and getting game time then it is down to Chapman NOT Mowbray. Dedication and professionalism will sort him out, a bit of encouragement is sometimes needed in the form of criticism. Get on with it.

• Like 2

Just now, 1864roverite said:

Its called motivation chaps, if he is adamant about being on the lash rather than knuckling down and getting game time then it is down to Chapman NOT Mowbray. Dedication and professionalism will sort him out, a bit of encouragement is sometimes needed in the form of criticism. Get on with it.

Proof? Link?

• Like 1

So we spent the whole of last January transfer window chasing someone who now Mowbray is resigning to the U23s.

If half that effort had been put into signing a centre half we might just stop shipping soft goals.

And yet he doesn’t say a negative word about some of the other young players like Bell and Brereton who have had many a shocker.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

“I know the supporters like Harry Chapman and the reason he’s here is because I like him, but he has to get going, he has to get up to speed, he has to understand how our club works and the work ethic that’s required.

“It’s down to him. I feel as though it’s ‘blame the manager that Harry Chapman isn’t playing’, but Harry Chapman has to look at himself really and get going, get himself moving and up to speed, up to gear.

“There was potentially an opportunity for him to go out on loan to get going and to get started and to show another team that he could create and score goals, beat full-backs, put the ball in the box and other stuff he’s here to try and do.

“I think between us we’ve decided that he’s going to stay and see if he can try and get in our team, in our squad.

“There’s always a difference between how players feel they’re doing and how the manager feels they’re doing and at the moment there’s a little divide there between what he thinks he’s doing and what I think he’s doing.

Ignoring how much he rambles on in interviews, and how little LT journalists (reporters) are able to paraphrase for brevity, that’s just a public dressing down of a player he scouted and then waited six months to go back and sign despite being injured and barely playing in between.

You look at what happens to the confidence of young players when Mowbray loses interest and has other available options (or in some cases doesn’t and re-trains a midfield “soldier”). Brereton, Raya, Nuttall, Nyambe, Tomlinson, Wharton, Magloire, Chapman. Doyle and Platt could well have just had their development undone by being hung out to dry in the media recently.

And he’s even speaking to an opposition ball boy about his values, instead of admitting that he selected our worst two centre midfielders as the engine room. Why aren’t they being told to “step up, get going, get in gear, get moving, get up to speed”? Surely they can take it?

Never seems to look at himself does our Tony.

• Like 1

Do you have some proof of this? Pretty damning if true.

• Like 2

Then give him a good bollocking behind closed doors. Compare him to Ferguson who would protect young players to the hilt in public - to the extent that Giggs wasn’t even allowed to talk to the press for years. Or a Lee Sharpe who enjoyed the lifestyle but was never hung out to dry in public, but eventually sold when he was no longer up to the mark.

Snidey doing the dressing down in the media when the player has no right of reply.

Edited by Mattyblue

Chapman has been very disappointing in pre-season and the early Under-23 games.  At times he's looked totally disinterested and is being overshadowed by younger players who seem to have a hunger that Chapman seems to lack at the moment.  Perhaps it's the suspect hamstrings that are holding him back but he certainly doesn't look anywhere near the player he was when he first came to the club on loan.

With regard to the manager I sometimes think that Tony is too honest for his own good.  If he's asked a straight question he will give a straight answer - I think that's simply who he is and he's not going to change.  Personally, I don't have a problem with his honesty and integrity but, in a 24/7 media world, there are times when avoiding reporters might not be a bad thing.  

• Like 9

Like Fergie didn't assault young Beckham in the changing room in his attempt to motivate after a poor game ??? I don't have any direct proof, it all rumour and speculation but it is evident that he isn't putting the effort in if he did then he is a given starter such is his skill, speed and ability

Just now, arbitro said:

I don't think this is really about Chapman but more about Mowbray. His line 'blame the manager that Harry Chapman isn’t playing' seems more about exonerating himself from criticism.

He has done that throughout his career.

Even in the interview about his red card he successfully deflected his Ballboy lecture by criticising the Refs performance knowing that would get a ready audience.