BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Harry Chapman

Just now, 1864roverite said:

Like Fergie didn't assault young Beckham in the changing room in his attempt to motivate after a poor game ??? I don't have any direct proof, it all rumour and speculation but it is evident that he isn't putting the effort in if he did then he is a given starter such is his skill, speed and ability

Young? He’d been in the team for 8 years and was England captain when that happened!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Chapman has been very disappointing in pre-season and the early Under-23 games.  At times he's looked totally disinterested and is being overshadowed by younger players who seem to have a hunger that Chapman seems to lack at the moment.  Perhaps it's the suspect hamstrings that are holding him back but he certainly doesn't look anywhere near the player he was when he first came to the club on loan.

With regard to the manager I sometimes think that Tony is too honest for his own good.  If he's asked a straight question he will give a straight answer - I think that's simply who he is and he's not going to change.  Personally, I don't have a problem with his honesty and integrity but, in a 24/7 media world, there are times when avoiding reporters might not be a bad thing.  

Chicken and egg.

If you bring in a player for the first team, you don’t put them in the U23s unless it’s for fitness purposes. Footballers are very sensitive creatures and Mowbray’s methods are from the old school, toughen-em-up and make-men-of-em text book. Probably why he has Venus and Lowe as his right hand men who I imagine think similarly.

I agree that Mowbray says too much to the media though. He’s his own worst enemy at times. Still, at least it stops people from talking about his poor recruitment, team selections, tactics and formations (especially second half ones).

57 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Chapman has been very disappointing in pre-season and the early Under-23 games.  At times he's looked totally disinterested and is being overshadowed by younger players who seem to have a hunger that Chapman seems to lack at the moment.  Perhaps it's the suspect hamstrings that are holding him back but he certainly doesn't look anywhere near the player he was when he first came to the club on loan.

With regard to the manager I sometimes think that Tony is too honest for his own good.  If he's asked a straight question he will give a straight answer - I think that's simply who he is and he's not going to change.  Personally, I don't have a problem with his honesty and integrity but, in a 24/7 media world, there are times when avoiding reporters might not be a bad thing.  

Mowbray does the complete opposite and takes every opportunity to get his message across, apparently to a largely receptive audience.

I don't see what the issue is personally. Everybody is in agreement that Chapman isn't performing well enough and Mowbray agrees. He is honest in his approach and if a 21 year old lad can't take that level of criticism then he is in for a tough time in this sport.

The level of criticism Mowbray has levelled at other players like Magloire in the past has been over the top. I also agree that he's too quick to criticise the youngsters than he is senior players, a la Evans and Smallwood. However what he has said about Chapman is justified and fair. A total non-issue.

• Like 7

Nice job Tony. Deflected the blame brilliantly for stifling the progression of our excellent young wingers Rothwell and Chapman, in favour of playing expensive strikers out on the wings.

No wonder they are pissed off and losing motivation.

• Like 1

Of course it is justified. A talented player in danger of throwing it away. I am glad TM is taking him to task. 

Just interesting it is only young players that are called out publicly. I suppose if the ‘dressing room is run by the senior pros’ it isn’t surprising.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

It’s only ever young lads called out in the media. Really strange when they are the one more likely to need an arm round them.

The likes of Bell, Smallwood and Evans have put in many a stinker yet I’ve never heard a negative word in the press from him.

For such a ‘good human’ he needs to work on his emotional intelligence.

And this is the rub. Maybe Chapman is having attitude problems but the issue is yet another young player called out - which in and of itself is damaging and I refuse to believe they all have attitude problems - when senior pros get off lightly.  It's a huge double standards issue that is only going to harm the squad unity and discourage young players. 

Another reoccurring trend it shows is TMs defensiveness towards any criticism and questioning. Yes TM we should question you when so many promising and talented youngsters can't get in the team. Rothwell, Nayambe, Raya, Nuttall, Chapman - all not without attirubutes and some promise - yet unable to get in the team. Whilst not every player will make it, the common trend here is that very few are and that is the manager's fault. 

Seems like a perfectly fair comment to have made about him.

Not throwing him under the bus. Not denying that he has talent. Simply stating that he has to work harder if he wants to get into the side.

Earlier in the transfer window - 'We want Mowbray to be open and honest about things in the press'

After the window - 'Why is Mowbray speaking openly about team matters?'

There's a reason why Chapman has spent a career out on loan, he needs to figure out how to work his way into a side. Maybe this will work.

• Like 3

Some young players need a kick up the arse, professional football can be a brutal workplace, no one hands you anything on a plate and young players need to understand your only as good as your last game, forget what you've done in the past it counts for nothing

But I would add with regards to the senior players the above isn't the case as they have earned the respect of Mowbray as they have carved a career at the highest level of the sport, and he trust them, Bennett, Graham, Johnson, Downing etc have seen it all, and they maintain a level of performance due to their experiance

there is nothing Mowbray can say to these players that will phase them and he knows it, so why would he risk losing the dressing room by trying to teach old dogs new tricks, he would lose his job

But I recon If he feels any of the senior players are starting to let him down he will bomb them out of the club as quickly as possible

It's obvious his approach to young and older players is different and in my opinion is right

by digging out the young players he's looking for a response, it's up to the player to provide it or be left behind

• Like 3

So TM says Chapman needs to work harder and we have to automatically believe that to be true?  

We haven't heard Chapman's side of it and I don't suppose we will.

However we do have the example of Joe Rothwell to go by. TM similarly slagged him of a few weeks ago and it sounded a load of crap to me.

I don't believe much of what the manager says anymore.

• Like 2

Just now, 47er said:

So TM says Chapman needs to work harder and we have to automatically believe that to be true?  

We haven't heard Chapman's side of it and I don't suppose we will.

However we do have the example of Joe Rothwell to go by. TM similarly slagged him of a few weeks ago and it sounded a load of crap to me.

I don't believe much of what the manager says anymore.

What about those who watch the under 23s and say the same thing? 

Just now, SkipDonoghue said:

Some young players need a kick up the arse, professional football can be a brutal workplace, no one hands you anything on a plate and young players need to understand your only as good as your last game, forget what you've done in the past it counts for nothing

But I would add with regards to the senior players the above isn't the case as they have earned the respect of Mowbray as they have carved a career at the highest level of the sport, and he trust them, Bennett, Graham, Johnson, Downing etc have seen it all, and they maintain a level of performance due to their experiance

there is nothing Mowbray can say to these players that will phase them and he knows it, so why would he risk losing the dressing room by trying to teach old dogs new tricks, he would lose his job

But I recon If he feels any of the senior players are starting to let him down he will bomb them out of the club as quickly as possible

It's obvious his approach to young and older players is different and in my opinion is right

by digging out the young players he's looking for a response, it's up to the player to provide it or be left behind

To be fair Bennett and some of the other ‘senior pros’ have largely been second division journeymen, but I digress.

Fine with the rest of that. But why the need to do it in public? 

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

I don't think this is really about Chapman but more about Mowbray. His line 'blame the manager that Harry Chapman isn’t playing' seems more about exonerating himself from criticism.

I don't read it that way myself, although can understand that it could be interpreted like that.  Personally, I think he's merely pointing out that supporters will always blame the manager if a particularly player is not in the team who they think should be.  However, if that player is not performing - and Chapman certainly hasn't been - then the manager is quite right to point out that the player needs to up his game.  Mowbray is certainly not the first manager at Ewood to do so publicly.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

According to Transfermkt this season 2 appearances; 1 goal, 1 assist

Ya, fair play to him, but that doesn't tell the full story of his performance or application.

I would respect @Parsonblue opinion as he comes accross as someone who doesn't over react or heedlessly criticise players and his post above echoes what I have read from others on Twitter.  

I would bet Chapman is sulking a bit that he isn't straight in with the first team squad. 

• Like 3

Just now, Mattyblue said:

To be fair Bennett and some of the other ‘senior pros’ have largely been second division journeymen, but I digress.

Fine with the rest of that. But why the need to do it in public? 

We don't know what has gone on previously with Chapman but from what we know he was injured while in Austria how seriously only the club know this, but it happened early in the trip which by all accounts was a tough pre season meaning from the off he's behind the rest of the squad, he's played for the 23s and done OK but OK won't get you in the 1st team, it looks to me that Mowbray has had a word with him in private and its not working, then he has been asked a question by a reporter and he has given an honest answer, he isn't slagging Chapman off he is looking for a response from the lad, the ball is now in Chapmans Court, starting with u23s game at Brighton tonight

• Like 3

Just now, Parsonblue said:

I don't read it that way myself, although can understand that it could be interpreted like that.  Personally, I think he's merely pointing out that supporters will always blame the manager if a particularly player is not in the team who they think should be.  However, if that player is not performing - and Chapman certainly hasn't been - then the manager is quite right to point out that the player needs to up his game.  Mowbray is certainly not the first manager at Ewood to do so publicly.

I agree with the harder approach. My disappointment is that, once again Mowbray has gone public. The fact he isn't the first manager to do this doesn't make it right. It's a workplace and every employee deserves respect from their manager. Mowbray going public and insinuating that Chapman isn't working hard enough is disrespectful.

Image your boss calling you out publicly for some perceived failings.

25 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I presumed we were talking about the treatment of young players by various managers?

No idea what Beckham had to do with it then?

I'm not quite sure where you re going Matty with this, it is a comparison in that even the great Fergie had some issues with players not pulling their weight. He flashed in the changing room when he allegedly kicked the shoe/boot that connected with DB's eyebrow. With TM it is a way of motivating the young players. From what I have seen of him - HC - he has the ability to be a great player BUT if his attitude sucks then he will go the way of many failures in the game before him.TM can talk all he wants inside his office but sometimes, and not just in football, you have to take it outside of the office to get the right response. I know this as a manager myself in my job, I have known it throughout a military career and my last job, sometimes it has to be said out in the open to get the required response.

Everyone can have a view, this is mine and I have seen it work on many different occasions, if a player cannot step up after a bit of open criticism then he isn't good enough to play football for our club or any other.

Just now, K-Hod said:

Absolutely no problem with what he has said about Chapman, just the fact he has said it to the press. 

He should have used a bit of tact, IMO.

He clearly has KHOD if the comments are read between the lines, now its back tot he player to show improvement and warrant a place in the team

4 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

I'm not quite sure where you re going Matty with this

I’m talking about young players and calling them out in the media, as is everybody else.

Nothing to do with managers losing their rag behind closed doors.

Edited by Mattyblue