BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Harry Chapman

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Now then, that was one of my few live sightings of Chapman yesterday .... and I can't say I was impressed, one of the few downsides on an otherwise excellent day.

Watching him going through his paces with the other substitutes at half time, he definitely had an "attitude", a cocky player who obviously rates himself and sees himself as special. Now that's fine when you can back it up with performances on the pitch, but Chapman did nothing in his cameo appearance to justify it. His one attempt at taking on the full back was a clumsy shove of the ball past the defender and foot race that he easily lost.

What have I missed ?

I think you missed the forearm smash to his face as he was about to go around him and the blood n thunder tackle he flew into to get his own back moments later.

Like anyone, he needs a run of games.  Not sure how anyone can be cocky during a warm up though ??

55 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Not really, he’s been in the building 13 months.

And how many chances has he been given? About 1/10th of the chances BB has. We dont really know what he can contribute until we see him get some regular game time. Problem is, the next time we see him will probably be for 15 minutes at the end of March.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 4

• 6 months later...

In every club, at any one time, there always has to be one exciting & attack-minded youngster on the bench that we can get on the managers back for not playing enough.

I think Harry may be in danger of losing this mythical spot to Tyrese Dolan.

Not sure I'm hearing too much wrong with what TM is saying there TBH; he's looking after the team isn't he?  We all talk about needing to defend better as a team, conceding too many goals. If the way Chapman plays, & his lack of effort in tracking back leaves Nyambe or whoever exposed, then that's a massive black mark against him isn't it?

• Like 2

• Backroom
Just now, Atko's Engine said:

Not sure I'm hearing too much wrong with what TM is saying there TBH; he's looking after the team isn't he?  We all talk about needing to defend better as a team, conceding too many goals. If the way Chapman plays, & his lack of effort in tracking back leaves Nyambe or whoever exposed, then that's a massive black mark against him isn't it?

Especially when Dolan tracks back so well.

17 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

Keep it behind closed doors. No need to hang the guy out to dry in public, but Mowbray has form for this kinda thing.

And double-standards. Bennett is a glorified cheerleader but Mowbray constantly bigs him up in the press.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Amo said:

Keep it behind closed doors. No need to hang the guy out to dry in public, but Mowbray has form for this kinda thing.

And double-standards. Bennett is a glorified cheerleader but Mowbray constantly bigs him up in the press.

But I assume he was asked why, given what Chapman did on Saturday, why didn't he feature more? TM answered the question, he needs more effort from him. He's obviously told Chapman directly time & again, but doesn't feel he's getting results. 

As for Bennett, TM's said quite publicly that he's not the most skilful of footballers, but likes his work effort & graft. I don't think any one will argue with that assessment? In that respect, Bennett & Chapman are complete opposites.

Isn't it often said that fans won't criticise lack of ability, but will criticise lack of effort?

Plus Bennett is too old to improve, Chapman isn't. 

TM clearly likes Chapman's talent, so is probably more frustrated than anyone that he isn't listening. It's another case of TM being damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

8 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

But I assume he was asked why, given what Chapman did on Saturday, why didn't he feature more? TM answered the question, he needs more effort from him. He's obviously told Chapman directly time & again, but doesn't feel he's getting results. 

As for Bennett, TM's said quite publicly that he's not the most skilful of footballers, but likes his work effort & graft. I don't think any one will argue with that assessment? In that respect, Bennett & Chapman are complete opposites.

Isn't it often said that fans won't criticise lack of ability, but will criticise lack of effort?

Plus Bennett is too old to improve, Chapman isn't. 

TM clearly likes Chapman's talent, so is probably more frustrated than anyone that he isn't listening. It's another case of TM being damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

Not really. We spent most of the season playing inside-strikers who contributed very little.

If Chapman was given the same amount of chances as Gallagher, Rothwell, Brereton etc. and wasn't up to it, then you can only say fair enough the manager was right. 

Also, despite his lack of ability and fact he gives away goals, Bennett has made substantially more appearances than Chapman.

• Like 3

TM wants keep ball sideways and backwards he's terrified of a direct forward running player giving the ball away - as if the others don't - !

So he's always going to use the likes of Chapman sparingly even if he was in hot form. Much more likely to be an impact sub at best it's just not in this gaffers DNA unless his back is against the wall. Think we have to accept that and i think Chapman knows his card is marked hence his attitude issues.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, tomphil said:

TM wants keep ball sideways and backwards he's terrified of a direct forward running player giving the ball away - as if the others don't - !

So he's always going to use the likes of Chapman sparingly even if he was in hot form. Much more likely to be an impact sub at best it's just not in this gaffers DNA unless his back is against the wall. Think we have to accept that and i think Chapman knows his card is marked hence his attitude issues.

He picked Rothwell far more last season than I would’ve done, he being the prime exponent of a running player who gives the ball away.

Seems clear to me it’s the lack of tracking back that’s Mowbray’s issue with him - on full display again tonight.

3 hours ago, Amo said:

Keep it behind closed doors. No need to hang the guy out to dry in public, but Mowbray has form for this kinda thing

From what I have heard (crucify me now, I'm sure it will happen :) ) this is the final throw of the dice. Behind closed doors has been done long ago. And it's Chapman who has lost the whole dressing room (not just the manager and senior players) because of his abysmal attitude to his colleagues and the club.

He's been thrown a lifeline in the meaningless games at the end of last season and now in these few games. 

Ball entirely in his court. Some promising signs imo, but he has broken bridges to repair. 

If he can't the best for everyone is he goes, but who would take him now? 

Edited by Ben Frost
  • Like 4

41 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

He picked Rothwell far more last season than I would’ve done, he being the prime exponent of a running player who gives the ball away.

Seems clear to me it’s the lack of tracking back that’s Mowbray’s issue with him - on full display again tonight.

Totally agree.  Dolan was prepared to track back and do the hard yards defending as well as being a constant threat going forward.  Chapman is happy to go forward but doesn't do the defensive part of the game that wide players are expected to do as a matter of routine.  As you say, it was very noticeable tonight.  

4 hours ago, Ben Frost said:

From what I have heard (crucify me now, I'm sure it will happen :) ) this is the final throw of the dice. Behind closed doors has been done long ago. And it's Chapman who has lost the whole dressing room (not just the manager and senior players) because of his abysmal attitude to his colleagues and the club.

He's been thrown a lifeline in the meaningless games at the end of last season and now in these few games. 

Ball entirely in his court. Some promising signs imo, but he has broken bridges to repair. 

If he can't the best for everyone is he goes, but who would take him now? 

Why, has he killed someone? He's a good footballer who Mowbray clearly doesn't rate. Begs the question why he signed him...