BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Harry Chapman

Say he did start, who would the game changer be on the bench as teams tire late on? Contrary to what some say, Rovers have been playing well as a team, really closing down the space and not giving the opposition time to think in their own half. Personally, I think (at the moment) that giving him 30mins and the opposition the run around, is the right thing.  Wimbledon aside, it has been working. He does need to improve the defensive side of his game but he is proving to be a fabulous asset.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

He was clearly struggling on Saturday but went back on after receiving treatment. I said to my brother that it was stupid to send him back on as it could make the injury worse. I don't know if it did but there were shades of  Lenihan at Southend when he played on with a foot injury whilst pretty much hobbling.

Unprofessional.

• Like 1

Massive blow but I feel like it tells you something that a player that our manager has trusted only once to start a game being out for a couple of months is such a huge setback.

A couple of months of turgid, boring football seemingly await due to the haphazard recruitment strategy that Mowbray applied during the summer, meaning that our only player that can stretch teams is a loan youngster who cannot even get into the team and is now missing.

We are now reliant on Conway who has had numerous injuries and is missing again this weekend because although he has the quality, his body is packing up, and Bennett who has been well below the standards we all expected in a lower league, offering nothing.

This is because the 2 other players who can play these positions that Mowbray signed, in Antonsson and Gladwin, both signed from Championship contracts, lack the ability and pace that was evidently lacking and obvious to all but the manager in the summer.

Quite simply, despite an incomparable budget to all of our rivals, we have been left with a squad that missing one attacking player is now sorely lacking in the threat and number of goals in the team to get us to where we want to be.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

He was clearly struggling on Saturday but went back on after receiving treatment. I said to my brother that it was stupid to send him back on as it could make the injury worse. I don't know if it did but there were shades of  Lenihan at Southend when he played on with a foot injury whilst pretty much hobbling.

Unprofessional.

Somebody I know mentioned that he was thrown on cold too - having no warm up whatsoever. If that is true then Mowbray and the physios want flogging. 

• Like 3

Horrendous news 

Firstly, if Chapman had started the game, as most fans hoped, it's very possible this injury would not have happened as his state of game readiness would have been that much better and higher.

Secondly, at the hint of any hamstring distress (and I think he does have a history of hamstring trouble), he should have been hooked off.  Agree with Arbitro that there's shades of Lenihan here.  Have been saying for a while now, I think our medical team has regressed as a unit just like the club generally.

Thirdly, and it's not possible to be too prescriptive without knowing the detail of Chapman's injury, recovery from this type of surgery is generally in the 4 to 6 month range for even athletes (2 months sounds optimistic to me - look how long Nelson was out although that was a real bad one).  Generally speaking surgery in athletes is carried out if the muscle rupture is greater than 2 inches and on occasions if greater than 1 inch.  Needless to say, it's very likely that this will always be a vulnerable area for Chapman (remember Michael Owen's issues) and hamstring surgery, as with cruciate ligament surgery, is highly likely to take the edge off an athlete's pace (Michael Owen and Alan Shearer being cases in point).

It's a hammer blow for the lad in particular as well as Rovers.  We can only wish him well 

Edited by Mercer

Players like Chapman that rely on bursts of pure pace are always liable to that sort of injury.

I remember when Trevor Francis, a similarly quick wide player, signed for Forest for a British transfer record somebody asked Bill Shankly why Liverpool weren't interested in signing him. He said " Because he'll spend as much time on the treatment bench as he will playing ". He wasn't far wrong, Francis was plagued with similar injuries all his career.

10 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Horrendous news 

Firstly, if Chapman had started the game, as most fans hoped, it's very possible this injury would not have happened as his state of game readiness would have been that much better and higher.

Secondly, at the hint of any hamstring distress (and I think he does have a history of hamstring trouble), he should have been hooked off.  Agree with Arbitro that there's shades of Lenihan here.  Have been saying for a while now, I think our medical team has regressed as a unit just like the club generally.

Thirdly, and it's not possible to be too prescriptive without knowing the detail of Chapman's injury, recovery from this type of surgery is generally in the 4 to 6 month range for even athletes (2 months sounds optimistic to me - look how long Nelson was out although that was a real bad one).  Generally speaking surgery in athletes is carried out if the muscle rupture is greater than 2 inches and on occasions if greater than 1 inch.  Needless to say, it's very likely that this will always be a vulnerable area for Chapman (remember Michael Owen's issues) and hamstring surgery, as with cruciate ligament surgery, is highly likely to take the edge off an athlete's pace (Michael Owen and Alan Shearer being cases in point).

It's a hammer blow for the lad in particular as well as Rovers.  We can only wish him well 

...and the good news, Doctor?

14 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Players like Chapman that rely on bursts of pure pace are always liable to that sort of injury.

I remember when Trevor Francis, a similarly quick wide player, signed for Forest for a British transfer record somebody asked Bill Shankly why Liverpool weren't interested in signing him. He said " Because he'll spend as much time on the treatment bench as he will playing ". He wasn't far wrong, Francis was plagued with similar injuries all his career.

In all honesty at that time nobody really knew what or where a hamstring was. It's another modern football phenomenon.

I recall Francis having a career threatening ruptured Achilles. I saw a picture of the scars during his rehabilitation. Nowadays it would probably be done by laser.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

...and the good news, Doctor?

Think many would concur with the first two points.

As for third point, there is medical expertise in the family and also a friend's son did his hamstring playing cricket which required a surgical repair.  So I am not whistling in the dark!

IMV, we've just lost our most potent attacking threat for a considerable amount of time.  Don't think there's any good news at all in that.

8 minutes ago, Mercer said:

IMV, we've just lost our most potent attacking threat for a considerable amount of time.  Don't think there's any good news at all in that.

I was only joking Mercer and I agree with the above. He's a big miss. He's leading our assists chart with 3 and he never plays. Says it all about Mowbray's approach.

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/english-league-one/25/statistics/assists