SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] team for rotherham

2 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

Raya 

Caddis Downing Mulgrew Williams

Evans Smallwood Whittingham 

Samuel Antonsson Chapman

4-3-3 and get at them from the first minute.

If Mowbray plays that side I hope his p45 will be following soon after.Don't like the look of that 1 bit Dunnfc

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, islander200 said:

If Mowbray plays that side I hope his p45 will be following soon after.Don't like the look of that 1 bit Dunnfc

He should have had it after the game on Saturday. The team above has balance leftys on the left and rights on the right and bar Chapman all in the right positions. I've gone for 4-3-3 to spring a surprise on Rham as no doubt they'll have studied and watched how we've played recently and set themselves up to counter act us like every team has done this far.

Flat back four and full backs do and not go beyond half way they keep flat. The midfield has to be a three to accommodate Whittingham whom after his cameo and given he's our marque summer signing should get another go to provide some quality and football ability. Evans is a runner in there and you've Smallwood to still add a bit of steel and personally stick on Lee Frecklington who's a little floater beyond the strikers but a fantastic shooter.

ive pushed Chapman up top of that left side to exploit the gap between RB and CB. Cummings is a decent RB who bombs forward with good delivery so we've got to push him back in some way and cause our own threat when he leaves that spot open so we can create our own chances.

Ajayi and Wood is probably only slightly quicker than our back two but they are beasts and with Graham not fit enough and lacking movement I'm hoping Antinsson continues his fox in the box routine and gambles in following everything up looking for a parry or keeper spill, he's also got movement and when you've Wood and Ajayi the best thing is to keep them moving like opposition do to Ward and Mulgrew as they're not quick enough to recover and leaves a space. Given I've got Samuel there he's got a wee bit of pace and a decent leap, purrungton there lb is another who likes to go forward so it's again pushing them back and if we can get a counter attack going we've numbers up top which should hopefully help us. Purrungton is 6ft ish and Wood the LCB too so it's a position I'd target in the air with Samuel and try and get Antinsson to move about there.

Dack, Graham not fit enough. 

2 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

He should have had it after the game on Saturday. The team above has balance leftys on the left and rights on the right and bar Chapman all in the right positions. I've gone for 4-3-3 to spring a surprise on Rham as no doubt they'll have studied and watched how we've played recently and set themselves up to counter act us like every team has done this far.

Flat back four and full backs do and not go beyond half way they keep flat. The midfield has to be a three to accommodate Whittingham whom after his cameo and given he's our marque summer signing should get another go to provide some quality and football ability. Evans is a runner in there and you've Smallwood to still add a bit of steel.

ive pushed Chapman up top of that left side to exploit the gap between RB and CB. Cummings is a decent RB who bombs forward with good delivery so we've got to push him back in some way and cause our own threat when he leaves that spot open so we can create our own chances.

Ajayi and Wood is probably only slightly quicker than our back two but they are beasts and with Graham not fit enough and lacking movement I'm hoping Antinsson continues his fox in the box routine and gambles in following everything up looking for a parry or keeper spill, he's also got movement and when you've Wood and Ajayi the best thing is to keep them moving like opposition do to Ward and Mulgrew as they're not quick enough to recover and leaves a space. Given I've got Samuel there he's got a wee bit of pace and a decent leap, purrungton there lb is another who likes to go forward so it's again pushing them back and if we can get a counter attack going we've numbers up top which should hopefully help us. Purrungton is 6ft ish and Wood the LCB too so it's a position I'd target in the air with Samuel and try and get Antinsson to move about there.

Dack, Graham not fit enough. 

Dack played 90 minutes and scored the equaliser at the weekend.People who where at the game said he played much better when he was moved centrally.You have Samuel playing wide of a three when he has looked much better through the middle.You want our full backs to stay flat so where is our width coming from when you have Chapman pushed further foward?Caddis and Williams have had their chances and shown nothing it's time for Mowbray to show some balls and give Travis and Doyle or Hunt a chance.

16 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Dack played 90 minutes and scored the equaliser at the weekend.People who where at the game said he played much better when he was moved centrally.You have Samuel playing wide of a three when he has looked much better through the middle.You want our full backs to stay flat so where is our width coming from when you have Chapman pushed further foward?Caddis and Williams have had their chances and shown nothing it's time for Mowbray to show some balls and give Travis and Doyle or Hunt a chance.

He did play but from what I saw he looked of the pace like he's not quite fit yet, looked a little bit unnatural, he's been injured recently hasn't he? I have Samuel up top slightly wide in a front 3 for the reasoning above as well as Chapman. 

There is no width it's not needed every game, Moyes used to make that mistake and all you end up with is a crossing fest. you've got Whittingham in there to be the playmaker/ball player to play the clever through balls on the deck against Ajayi and Wood who like Ward and Mulgrew struggle with the ball on the deck and quick movement. You play wide and whip crosses in then those two lads 6.1/6.2 will head it away everyday for fun.

Travis, Hart and Doyle can get a go in the cup but let's get points on the board before we debutise untried youngsters. I don't think Caddis and Williams have been good but not awful just below average which for Caddis who looked better with Downing seems to be positionally related with Ward. Williams is a centre half.

whilst mine starts 4-3-3 with an aim to go at it at the 1st minute and surprise them with Chapman starting it's interchangeable to 4-4-2 by putting him In midfield if needed during the game.

Just now, Dunnfc said:

He did play but from what I saw he looked of the pace like he's not quite fit yet, looked a little bit unnatural, he's been injured recently hasn't he? I have Samuel up top slightly wide in a front 3 for the reasoning above as well as Chapman. 

There is no width it's not needed every game, Moyes used to make that mistake and all you end up with is a crossing fest. you've got Whittingham in there to be the playmaker/ball player to play the clever through balls on the deck against Ajayi and Wood who like Ward and Mulgrew struggle with the ball on the deck and quick movement. You play wide and whip crosses in then those two lads 6.1/6.2 will head it away everyday for fun.

Travis, Hart and Doyle can get a go in the cup but let's get points on the board before we debutise untried youngsters. I don't think Caddis and Williams have been good but not awful just below average which for Caddis who looked better with Downing seems to be positionally related with Ward. Williams is a centre half 

I disagree with your team.You won't change my opinion and I don't expect to change yours.Why should we wait for the cup to blood them,maybe not throw them all in but as you keep saying yourself Caddis was released by Bury so why not give Travis a go when he has been doing well for the under 23s.

Just now, islander200 said:

I disagree with your team.You won't change my opinion and I don't expect to change yours.Why should we wait for the cup to blood them,maybe not throw them all in but as you keep saying yourself Caddis was released by Bury so why not give Travis a go when he has been doing well for the under 23s.

I agree to give him a go but don't think this is the game to do it against what is a very good Rotherham side at this level. It's taking a risk for the sake of it whereas Caddis hasn't been that bad no worse than Mulgrew over last couple of games.

Just now, Dunnfc said:

I agree to give him a go but don't think this is the game to do it against what is a very good Rotherham side at this level. It's taking a risk for the sake of it whereas Caddis hasn't been that bad no worse than Mulgrew over last couple of games.

Mulgrew is a class act though for this level anyway,he can be forgiven for a few indifferent performances. Caddis and Williams have been poor all season just not good enough.At least with Travis you could be sure of one thing he would be busting a gut to make an impression. I wouldn't be playing Whittingham and Evans together either one or the other,if Tomlinson was ready or if the harper lad was fit then I'd have one of them in over both of them.Dack playing off Samuel please with Chapman wide.We are at home we should not be fearing Rotherham 

Raya

Travis | Downing | Mulgrew | Doyle 

Smallwood | Whittingham

Chapman | Dack | Bennett

Samuel

To be honest I'm far from convinced with any of our strikers and feel TM's recruitment here has been poor, but would start Samuel who the ball is more likely to stick with. I'd tell the two young lads at FB that the shirt is theirs to lose, while Conway would come in for Bennett when/if fit to provide some natural width (recurring theme of poor recruitment - square pegs/round holes). Chapman and Dack must start home games which will allow us to get on the front foot from the off. Most importantly of all, the rest of them need to be told that their places are in serious threat and as with the FB's coming in for this match, the likes of Tomlinson and JRC will do likewise for Gills should we see more p*** poor performances from supposedly seasoned professionals.

Must win for me along with Gills on Saturday or serious questions should be asked of Mowbray by the owners.

• Backroom

Raya

Caddis Downing Mulgrew Williams / Hart

Smallwood Whittingham  

Chapman Dack Bennett

Samuel 

Have Dack in the hole and he will flourish, still think Whittingham has a role to play especially at home.

I'd have Nuttall on the bench as well. 

Downing seems to be getting a few starts in peoples teams at the mo. Perhaps a seasoned League One defender would be good for us, however Downing's only start so far was in a straight forward (ish, never straight forward where Rovers are concerned) win, where he had little to do BUT Ward has been poor and the only way to put pressure on players to up their game is to drop them for poor performance and give someone else a chance.

Chapman must start, whether its trough earning it from sub appearances or through poorly performing players who play in his position. Him not starting sends out the wrong message to the players as far as I am concerned.

Dack and Chapman must start. I would also be tempted to bring Whittingham and Downing in. 

What about Antonnsson upfront? Chapman and Dack will create chances, he might be the best person there to actually finish them 

Raya

Caddis Downing Mulgrew Williams

Smallwood Evans

Chapman  Whittingham   Dack 

Antonnsson 

Fear that Rotherham will play like Barnsley at Ewood last season. Saw their victory at Portsmouth and very impressed.

Like Shrewsbury they look a real team....rather than our set of individuals.

Looking forward to team selection for Checkatrade next Tuesday,when we see some of the youngsters again(including Joe)

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Dack and Chapman must start. I would also be tempted to bring Whittingham and Downing in. 

What about Antonnsson upfront? Chapman and Dack will create chances, he might be the best person there to actually finish them 

Raya

Caddis Downing Mulgrew Williams

Smallwood Evans

Chapman  Whittingham   Dack 

Antonnsson 

I'd say play that line up and the ball will hardly ever be their half. We've not got one player in that front four that will win the ball back in the opposition half. Dack did nothing out wide yet looked a different player playing in support of the striker. Whittingham had a steady quarter of an hour as did Antonnson. That's it. Samuel will work hard, run their back four and hold the ball up. What he won't do is put the half chances away. He had a decent headed chance on Saturday that he fluffed.  If we play Antonnson  up front against two rough and tumble centre halves they'll have the arm chairs out.

Having said that, have I got a better line up ?  Not really, all I can say is give the established line up one more throw of the dice. Give them the hard word before they go out, tell them everybody is playing for their places.  If they don't perform you'll make several changes against Gillingham. Give youth a fling then if they are match fit.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

How is bringing in Whittingham going to inject pace into the team ? He's about as quick as I am.  Antonnson isn't much quicker, neither is Dack for that matter.

A total lack of pace in the team is one of the major problems Tyrone.  Apart from Chapman and Nyambe I'm struggling to think of another player who I would call genuinely quick.  

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

Away from home this season: PL 4 W 1 L 3 GF 2 GA 5.

They have played Fleetwood, Bradfrod, P;Boro and Portsmouth though.

A tough start or a poor away side?

At home they are frighteningly good at the moment.

Watched em at portsmouth on sky  tbf they were a cut above portsmouth and were good value for all three points and it seems they haven't looked back since 

TM has had the owners backing, bought in 12-13 of his own players, miserably failed to bring in a quick winger with trickery (except chapman) on loan and refuses to start with him!! Teams in league one are suppose to fear rovers, but can anything think of any player apart from chapman who opposition defenders may fear??

Williams and Caddis are easily the worst Rovers full backs I have ever had the misfortune to suffer. If I go all the way back to my earliest memory of going to Ewood (Hird and Bailey) to the present day, they wouldn't be anywhere near a first team place in any team in any era. Even our most limited full backs in all those years such as Millar, Sulley and Jim Bran were far more effective. They need rooting out and replacing with youthful energy. 

I reckon our under 23s would be competitive as an entire unit in League 1, so I am certain we can easily absorb two from their ranks. How could they be any worse?

When you add Ward into the mix we really are asking for trouble.

Archived