BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] team for rotherham

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good performance.More of the same please ,hope not another Wimbledon on Saturday when Gillingham come town. Though Antonnson had a good game,but how did he miss that chance when he was running through.Samuel was immense in the first half.Still think that Chapman has too much talent not to be a starter though.Very enjoyable evening always said Mowbray was the right man for the job

• Backroom

A couple of points made up on a couple of teams; keep winning and we'll get there.

Just feel we are the masters of our own downfall at times, another win on Saturday is a must now.

This time last year we lost 0 1 at home to Sheffield Wednesday and had 8 points 3rd from bottom in Championship. Ok league 1 now but we are 8th from top 6 points from an automatic promotion spot :rover: with a game in hand.

Let's grab this one and enjoy the feeling, we deserve it!

Could have been 8 with steadier finishing. Not as good second half unsurprisingly but still a very good display overall.

If we can play like that every game the results will take care of themselves. The only problem I can see arising out of tonight is that whilst everyone did rheir jobs tonight, Chapman is just too good not to be starting. The lad is sensational. Who the hell have Boro got that's better than him?

Also very impressed with Downing, Antonsson and Young Sam Ward when he came on.

2 cracking saves from Raya at 1-0 as well. Cracking entertainment for once.

• Backroom

Raya made some cracking saves but when he comes up against a human adult in the air it terrifies me. He comes off worse but the refs will offer no protection 

Samuel and Antonsson both had a good game, but they need to score more goals.

Paul Downing also had a good game, a better player than Ward I think.

Young Sam Hart also looked good when he came on.

Do we have any chance to keep Chapman? He is a game changer.

• Backroom

Credit to Samuel as well tonight, missed a few chances but created half a dozen for teammates and battered them. Exactly what he should be doing, would be a dream for most strikers to Partner 

Just now, Tom said:

Credit to Samuel as well tonight, missed a few chances but created half a dozen for teammates and battered them. Exactly what he should be doing, would be a dream for most strikers to Partner 

Yeah Samuel will always miss a few. If he was a goal scorer as well as a grafter he wouldn't be playing at this level. He'll chip in from time to time but he'll make more for his striking partner. Antonnson's a real enigma, as long as he keeps scoring though what can you say. I'm surprised he didn't get more than the one, finishing is his strength, he had chances you'd back him to put away.

Good win, decent performance and a welcome three points. I was both happy and disappointed when I saw the team sheet with Ward out and Chapman not in but in fairness there was a better shape and balance to the team with Antonsson wide and Dack pretty much in the ten position but also a license to roam. The only real downer is the number of goals scored from all the good chances we created. Four or five goals to us would have been more reflective based on chances. I still worry at times how cheaply we give the ball away and there are others aspects to improve on but I am just happy with three points and a clean sheet.

That's the Rovers we all know and love!

Raya - Looking more solid by the game, and I enjoy seeing him come out for crosses to relieve the team. Twice the keeper Steele ever was for us.

Caddis - Best game so far for him. Ran the wings well and played some great forward passes, just weak in the air, though. Not bad for a pub player!

Downing - Superb. Reminded me a bit of Ooijer. Calm and assured. I've only seen him play for us twice, but his defensive performance tonight was the best I've seen at the club in years. He would have been my MotM. If that performance doesn't keep Ward out of the side, I don't know what will.

Mulgrew - Steady as usual, and calm on the ball, although his corners were generally poor.

Williams - Seems to be playing with confidence. Good defensively and offensively, and not afraid to put a tackle in. Starting to make that position his own after doubts last season.

Evans - He was just OK, which I find disappointing, given his supposed calibre. He needs to take more responsibility in games and pull the strings.

Smallwood - Excellent as usual. Puts crunching tackles in and is good with the ball. A rarity at Ewood!

Bennett - Works hard, but a bit anonymous tonight.

Antonsson - Scored that first goal we needed and deserved. We talk about square pegs in round holes, but putting him out on the left worked out very well. Caused all sorts of problems for their defenders, and could have scored more. Worked very hard, and named MotM.

Dack - He's a mischievous player, and showed yet more talent tonight, although he seemed to have the poor corner bug. As popular as he seems to be, I have my doubts about his "big I am" manner - it can be a Jekyll and Hyde attribute in football, and I hope he doesn't think he's bigger than the club. He seems to be well-liked in the dressing room, but I imagine he's a bit of a headache to manage.

Samuel - Best player at holding up the ball. Hit the woodwork twice, and unlucky not to score. He's a really hard worker, and must be one of the first names on the team sheet. I'm sure more goals will come for him if he keeps it up.

Subs...

Chapman - What can you say? His determination is amazing, and he gets his just rewards for that. Fearless, and ultimately put the game beyond doubt for us. The question is whether he should start or not, but I fear that Mowbray is always onto a loser with some fans if he doesn't start.

Hart - Didn't really notice him after he came on, apart from a mistake when he lost the ball on the touchline. Difficult to judge by a cameo appearance.

Whittingham - The right call to bring him on for Evans, who always looks like he's about to get a red. Whittingham is starting to look very good after some initially poor performances. Almost bagged the third for us towards the end.

Delighted with that win. Feels like old times.

Well deserved win though edgy second half after a wonderful first half when the game should've been over. Downing did well at the back, and great improvement on Ward.

Raya needs to stop the overconfident passing and clear it when needed. He also get no protection at this level and does struggle to command the area just like Steele.

Impressed with Antonsson who thrived playing off the left. Has great movement and picks up posititions where he either gets at the end of things(like the goal) or set up several chances. The position played more to his strenghts with space to run in rather than a physical battle. Also looks far more confident.

Chapman is wonderful outlet and should propably start the next game. I can understand the reservation against his defensive attributes, but next game home against Gillingham he needs to start. Got too greedy on one occasion when he should've passed.

Archived