BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] team for rotherham

The problem with keepers is that their mistakes are more likely to be fatal than any other player's and one with an obvious weakness for the high ball is going to be targeted.Indeed I'm believing he already is being.

He seems to lack confidence in these situations and flap or go missing. There was one such episode the latter in the Rotherham game(1st half) where he looked like a rabbit in the headlights. It was his to claim but he appeared rooted to the spot. When he did attack the ball finally he was too late and their attackers won the ball.

He definitely needs the protection of his bigger defenders at these times and obviously plenty of coaching. I suppose "bulking up" is an option but tbh he does not look weak to me, he's tall and quite well built. Its confidence and judgement he lacks.

Terrific shot-stopper no question but he's going to get a lot more high balls and crosses aimed in his direction this season till he copes.

One mistake and 3 points can become one and one can become none.  Its not cancelled out by saying "look at that one he saved."

So we continue to support him and hope he sorts this out. Its not feasible to risk promotion however through misguided loyalty.He's young, his time will come.

One final point, what do we most remember about Brad Freidal---our best ever goal-keeper?

For me its that he dominated his area.

I remember the saves, but I also remember the dedication, the organisation and the absolute authority he commanded and demanded.

We won't get another Freidal in a hurry but we need to get as near as possible.Keepers seem to peak in their 30's these days after all and don't cost the earth (Freidal was free!)

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember the days when any forward roughing up Roger Jones could look forward to a night in casualty courtesy of Glenn Keely. Perhaps that was taking things a little too far but we are in the Third Division after all so a few liberties taken by our defenders in support of Raya wouldn't go amiss. 

1 hour ago, 47er said:

The problem with keepers is that their mistakes are more likely to be fatal than any other player's and one with an obvious weakness for the high ball is going to be targeted.Indeed I'm believing he already is being.

He seems to lack confidence in these situations and flap or go missing. There was one such episode the latter in the Rotherham game(1st half) where he looked like a rabbit in the headlights. It was his to claim but he appeared rooted to the spot. When he did attack the ball finally he was too late and their attackers won the ball.

He definitely needs the protection of his bigger defenders at these times and obviously plenty of coaching. I suppose "bulking up" is an option but tbh he does not look weak to me, he's tall and quite well built. Its confidence and judgement he lacks.

Terrific shot-stopper no question but he's going to get a lot more high balls and crosses aimed in his direction this season till he copes.

One mistake and 3 points can become one and one can become none.  Its not cancelled out by saying "look at that one he saved."

So we continue to support him and hope he sorts this out. Its not feasible to risk promotion however through misguided loyalty.He's young, his time will come.

One final point, what do we most remember about Brad Freidal---our best ever goal-keeper?

For me its that he dominated his area.

I remember the saves, but I also remember the dedication, the organisation and the absolute authority he commanded and demanded.

We won't get another Freidal in a hurry but we need to get as near as possible.Keepers seem to peak in their 30's these days after all and don't cost the earth (Freidal was free!)

Brad was the best goalkeeper I've ever seen at Ewood and one of the best shot stoppers ever.  Anybody who saw a couple of his games against Arsenal away would testify to that.  However if I had one complaint about him it would be that he didn't dominate the area in the air. We'd lots a headed goals conceded from in and around the six yard box in his era. In todays football that shouldn't happen. If  you come barging out and collide with an attacker in the Prem 9 times out of 10 you'll get the free kick and not the attacker. These rules don't seem to apply to our division though.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Brad was the best goalkeeper I've ever seen at Ewood and one of the best shot stoppers ever.  Anybody who saw a couple of his games against Arsenal away would testify to that.  However if I had one complaint about him it would be that he didn't dominate the area in the air. We'd lots a headed goals conceded from on and around the six yard box in his era. In todays football that shouldn't happen. If  you come barging out and collide with an attacker in the Prem 9 times out of 10 you'll get the free kick and not the attacker. These rules don't seem to apply to our division though.

He was rooted to the goal line, especially for corners. I don't agree with others that say he dominated his area. He was a great shot stopper though with excellent reflexes.

I think Friedel's lack of command in the area resulted in us conceding a lot of free kicks under him too. His wall was often in the wrong position or broke when jumping.

That said he is still the best GK I have seen in my relatively short Rovers life span.

His aerial ability I felt was good enough for the premier league which more or less says he was, at one point, one of the best in the world. You have to be a good goalkeeper to compete in that league - see Bravo's failings after dominating La Liga as an example. He certainly wouldn't have been bullied like Raya is and Steele was. I remember him breaking Egioghus (spelling?) ribs by absolutely clattering him to get to the ball. A fine goalkeeper

16 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I think Friedel's lack of command in the area resulted in us conceding a lot of free kicks under him too. His wall was often in the wrong position or broke when jumping.

That said he is still the best GK I have seen in my relatively short Rovers life span.

His aerial ability I felt was good enough for the premier league which more or less says he was, at one point, one of the best in the world. You have to be a good goalkeeper to compete in that league - see Bravo's failings after dominating La Liga as an example. He certainly wouldn't have been bullied like Raya is and Steele was. I remember him breaking Egioghus (spelling?) ribs by absolutely clattering him to get to the ball. A fine goalkeeper

In the World Cup in Japan and Korea he was the best in the World. I think most people would have agreed with that. I knew a guy in Manchester that had a massively expensive furniture shop. He was very well connected with Man Utd, lots of players etc furnished their houses from his shop.  He told me at that time that the deal was done to take Brad to Old Trafford and all it required was for Brad to sign the paperwork when he got back from the Far East. What went wrong with that, I don't know.

20 minutes ago, Give 'Em the Axe said:

Ah jaysis, Friedel was different class altogether. Hands up who was a little bit miffed when he signed? I certainly was. Lovely to be proven wrong. Ya hear me Antonsson? Lovely to be proven wrong.

I think I'll wait while the guy has played more than a handful of games before I make my mind up conclusively regarding Antonnson and being wrong or right. I'll be chuffed if I am wrong because that can only be good news for Rovers, and Leeds.  For me the juries still out at the moment.

Well its odd how we can see the same thing so differently! I can't recall seeing Brad flapping aimlessly at crosses, however he was definitely one who preferred to stay on his line unless he was certain he could claim it. He did organise the defence to ensure minimum chance for the attackers and his record speaks for itself.

Obviously you can always point to mistakes in a career that long but I don't remember too many. Sad day when that idiot Ince pushed him out, team lost part of its soul that day. Couldn't believe it.

3 minutes ago, 47er said:

Well its odd how we can see the same thing so differently! I can't recall seeing Brad flapping aimlessly at crosses, however he was definitely one who preferred to stay on his line unless he was certain he could claim it. He did organise the defence to ensure minimum chance for the attackers and his record speaks for itself.

Obviously you can always point to mistakes in a career that long but I don't remember too many. Sad day when that idiot Ince pushed him out, team lost part of its soul that day. Couldn't believe it.

Oh don't get me wrong 47er I still believe Friedel was one of the best goalkeepers to grace the PL. As Tyrone says after the 02 world cup Brad Friedel was highly coveted and would have no doubt raked in a world record transfer fee for a GK had he been sold. As it was we had ambition then and kept hold of our best players. It was a joy to have him in the sticks because you always thought he'd save whatever was put in front of him. Nowadays you wince when the ball is hit.

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I think I'll wait while the guy has played more than a handful of games before I make my mind up conclusively regarding Antonnson and being wrong or right. I'll be chuffed if I am wrong because that can only be good news for Rovers, and Leeds.  For me the juries still out at the moment.

Oh absolutely! I'm delighted the fella scored again, but pre-match I was whinging for him to be benched in favor of Chapman. I'm still very much on the fence with regards to him.

5 hours ago, 47er said:

He didn't flap at crosses, he just stayed back on his line when another keeper would have come out to punch the ball clear. I distinctly remember teams scoring headed goals from very close in crosses. Would I swap Brad for another keeper ? Not a chance, but nobodies perfect.

7 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Your first paragraph beat me to it! Free kicks were definitely his main weakness for me, but still a truly world class keeper and the best I've ever seen for Rovers.

Just now, donnermeat said:

Your first paragraph beat me to it! Free kicks were definitely his main weakness for me, but still a truly world class keeper and the best I've ever seen for Rovers.

Regarding Freidel, he is the best I've ever seen for Rovers and I have been watching them since before Reg Elvy.

IMO his only weakness was low shots across him to his left.

Best keeper for coming out and catching crosses was Roger Jones. I must admit I never saw Jim Arnold play so cannot include him in my assessment.

8 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Agree about Antonsson.  Pleased he is scoring but wouldn't have got MOM from me.  He still lost the ball very easily at times and missed 3 chances he should have buried.  Chased down defenders well though.

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He has consistently scored goals since he came in,but that's apparently not enough for some fans 

You're making yourself look foolish. He's only been here a dogwatch. He's scored three goals I think, all from very close in. If he's got 20 by the end of the season then you could say he's consistent.

• Paul unpinned this topic
19 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You're making yourself look foolish. He's only been here a dogwatch. He's scored three goals I think, all from very close in. If he's got 20 by the end of the season then you could say he's consistent.

3 in 3 games is enough consistency for me right now. When was the last time we had a player do that?

2 hours ago, bazza said:

Regarding Freidel, he is the best I've ever seen for Rovers and I have been watching them since before Reg Elvy.

IMO his only weakness was low shots across him to his left.

Best keeper for coming out and catching crosses was Roger Jones. I must admit I never saw Jim Arnold play so cannot include him in my assessment.

I thought the "fashion" of keepers coming out for crosses had died generally by, say, the 1990's. I assumed someone had run an algorithm on it and found it resulted in more goals than staying on the line. The emphasis was on defenders marking the forwards more tightly and preventing them jumping or getting a run at the cross.Keepers played a key part in organising their defence and Freidal was immense at that.

I honestly don't remember any difference between how Freidal dealt with crosses and how Flowers did. But I do know Freidal was the better keeper!

Archived