chapman     dack      conway 

samuel

with our players we have to play 4-2-3-1

as we dont have enough solidity or creativity or pace for a traditional 4-4-2

appreciate your thoughts please !

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whittingham has to start. Hart deserves a chance over Williams. None of the strikers have been particularly good but with some width, theres only one of them whose got a proven track record, Danny Graham. And Raya is too mistake prone, Leutwiler should play. Presume Conway isnt fit so has to be Bennett on the left.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Whittingham has to start. Hart deserves a chance over Williams. None of the strikers have been particularly good but with some width, theres only one of them whose got a proven track record, Danny Graham. And Raya is too mistake prone, Leutwiler should play. Presume Conway isnt fit so has to be Bennett on the left.

I wouldn't have Graham anywhere near the team. 

12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Hart deserve a chance? Why deserve? Has he played at all yet. 

Graham has done nothing so far this season..started in 3 games where we have been awful performance wise in these and lost 2 and draw 1. 

Bennett recently has been poor. Time for change there 

Mowbray hasn't played 4-2-3-1 at home in the league so maybe Tuesday he will get the chance to play the formation he bought the players to play...until it all went wrong at Southend. I don't believe for one minute he wanted to play 4-4-2.

Maybe Whittingham will be able to stake his claim again. Like Chapman, on paper he may be better suited to playing at home on a big pitch, and also when he is expected to do less defending. Unfortunately, against Donny he had no one in front of him to play the ball too.  

Ultimately though we are weak in the full back positions. Playing 4-2-3-1 would leave us a lot more exposed out wide. (Yes Chaddy it will, it isn't the same as 4-4-2;)).

I'd be tempted to start Dack off the lone striker and Chapman on the right.  Not sure Mowbray trusts Dack's fitness by the sounds of his interview yesterday.

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

My team is simple

Raya

Travis Downing Mulgrew Williams

Smalwood Whittingham

Chapman    Dack      Antonsson

Samuel

Has Antonnson played wide of a three apart from the 15 minutes Saturday? Not having a  go genuinely asking as I don't know?But from what I've seen he doesn't look suited to it?Not particularly pacy,doesn't look like he can go past a man.From what I have seen he is purely a penalty box finisher.Agree with the rest of your team although unsure of Whittingham in a two and I don't rate Williams so I'd have him out too

4 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Mowbray hasn't played 4-2-3-1 at home in the league so maybe Tuesday he will get the chance to play the formation he bought the players to play...until it all went wrong at Southend. I don't believe for one minute he wanted to play 4-4-2.

Maybe Whittingham will be able to stake his claim again. Like Chapman, on paper he may be better suited to playing at home on a big pitch, and also when he is expected to do less defending. Unfortunately, against Donny he had no one in front of him to play the ball too.  

Ultimately though we are weak in the full back positions. Playing 4-2-3-1 would leave us a lot more exposed out wide. (Yes Chaddy it will, it isn't the same as 4-4-2;)).

I'd be tempted to start Dack off the lone striker and Chapman on the right.  Not sure Mowbray trusts Dack's fitness by the sounds of his interview yesterday.

Playing Chapman, Antonnson, Dack and Samuel would give Whittingham plenty of options in forward areas. 

Travis at right back would get forward lots and put crosses in

3 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Has Antonnson played wide of a three apart from the 15 minutes Saturday? Not having a  go genuinely asking as I don't know?But from what I've seen he doesn't look suited to it?Not particularly pacy,doesn't look like he can go past a man.From what I have seen he is purely a penalty box finisher.Agree with the rest of your team although unsure of Whittingham in a two and I don't rate Williams so I'd have him out too

To your questions I dont know but people said he played well there. 

24 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Hart deserve a chance? Why deserve? Has he played at all yet. 

Graham has done nothing so far this season..started in 3 games where we have been awful performance wise in these and lost 2 and draw 1. 

Bennett recently has been poor. Time for change there 

Because Williams is absolutely rubbish and always has and will be.

Samuel has been poor in the last 4 games, like I said none can complain if they dont play, Graham needs width but no long balls.

I agree Bennett has been poor, but surely you've learnt that playing players out of position wont work? Antonsson isnt a left winger, up front or bench. With Conway injured and Mowbray signing the terrible Gladwin instead of another fast winger, what choice do we have?

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Because Williams is absolutely rubbish and always has and will be.

Samuel has been poor in the last 4 games, like I said none can complain if they dont play, Graham needs width but no long balls.

I agree Bennett has been poor, but surely you've learnt that playing players out of position wont work? Antonsson isnt a left winger, up front or bench. With Conway injured and Mowbray signing the terrible Gladwin instead of another fast winger, what choice do we have?

Gladwin is injured. 

Antonsson played wide left yesterday and did well. Samuel is 1st choice..bring pace. Graham has done nothing in the games he starts. So doesnt deserve to start

He is but hes also not very good, as proven at his previous clubs and when he has played for us, we needed a winger not whatever he is supposed to be.

Does Samuel deserve to start though after a barren run? Graham has scored more recently and neither has done anything since. Difference is proven track record.

16 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He is but hes also not very good, as proven at his previous clubs and when he has played for us, we needed a winger not whatever he is supposed to be.

Does Samuel deserve to start though after a barren run? Graham has scored more recently and neither has done anything since. Difference is proven track record.

Samuel 3 goals this season

Graham 1 goal. 

Graham hasnt perform in any game he played in. 

Samuel has.

We need to get away from playing midfielders and strikers out of position on the wing.

Conway and Chapman for me.

Id go with the opening posters team. It contains 3 dodgy selections in the back 4 but I've no idea if the kids are any better. That was always an issue all summer.

58 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

My team is simple

Raya

Travis Downing Mulgrew Williams

Smalwood Whittingham

Chapman    Dack      Antonsson

Samuel

Swap dack & antonsson positions & it's not far off I'd prefer antonssen sitting behind more centrally & dack coming in on off the flank.

Just now, Bluebarley said:

Swap dack & antonsson positions & it's not far off I'd prefer antonssen sitting behind more centrally & dack coming in on off the flank.

From what I see and read on this board Dack did next to nothing playing uout wide on Saturday and Antonnson is either playing up front next to a striker or he's sat on the bench. I thought we'd bought Dack to play behind the central striker. 

What do they do in training ? They should be trying out patterns of play and formations out on the practice pitch.

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

From what I see and read on this board Dack did next to nothing playing uout wide on Saturday and Antonnson is either playing up front next to a striker or he's sat on the bench. I thought we'd bought Dack to play behind the central striker. 

What do they do in training ? They should be trying out patterns of play and formations out on the practice pitch.

It's based on where me personally I think they'd be more effective, (don't do football manager on pc) dack has a low centre of gravity he could spin away maybe cut in thread some balls into dangerous areas, antossen doesn't in my opinion have the beating of his man with any psychicality so I think he would be better deployed closer to Samuel on knock downs neat interplay etc. 

years ago i had the privelage of watching juventus train for over a period of 18 days i will never forger trezeguet and the finishing prowess he showed it was astonishing, Nedved was the catalyst to almost everything truly unbelievable to witness. What juve did was work triangular patterns of play this is what we need to do move the opposition about so much more than we do. Peterborough did it yesterday when they went to 3-4-1-2 we probably dont have the personnel for this until lenihan is back the it could be 3-5-2 which i think is what tony ultimately wants.but in the mean time 4-2-3-1 probably best option, and ok lets try bennett in williams place. We need to work our ...... off to get out of this league in the autos if possible, so we need to fight like we have not fought before and kick some f........... ar..

• Paul pinned this topic

Archived