BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Betting site affiliates and betting scams.

lraC

I have done my fixed odds football coupon for around 30 years, having started it as a weekly bit of fun with my Granddad, when I was around twelve. He liked a little flutter on the horses and knew I loved the football, so brought a fixed odds coupon home from the bookies. I used to love check how we had done on a Thursday and then study and put on a line for the following week. He drilled into me even at that age, to only gamble what I could afford to lose. I think it was around 5p per week then, although a touch more now, but still within those boundaries he set.

I have recently noticed on Twitter, that there are a number of "expert" tipsters who offer free tips and homed in on one, to see if it made a profit. On delving a bit deeper, it appears that this is some sort of a scam and these social media tipsters, actually make a profit out of the punters, they introduce, to the bookmakers, under what is known as an affiliate scheme. They basically make around 30% typically of what the punter they introduce, loses. When you look even closer, it appears that some of them, actually delete losing tips, to make it look as though their tips are profitable, even when they are not. I thought it was quite an interesting topic, given that plenty of clubs, have gambling companies, as their sponsors. I have attached an example of the tricks they use.

Affiliates 2.pdf

I know a guy - and this story is true - who had 10k twitter followers about 6 years ago. I won't say the bookies name, but they like in play offers and signed him up on a profit share scheme, basically to encourage people to sign up and bet with him - he would post odds he thought where good value and recommend that his followers put a bet on. The deal was that 50% of all losing stakes went directly to him. He ended up getting some Abu Dhabi princes to bet through his membership code, getting 50% of everything they lost - and they where betting the big bucks, cos its banned over there. He's been stopped doing it now, the bookie pulled out, but he will never need to work again, all for 12 months on twitter. 

Just now, J*B said:

I know a guy - and this story is true - who had 10k twitter followers about 6 years ago. I won't say the bookies name, but they like in play offers and signed him up on a profit share scheme, basically to encourage people to sign up and bet with him - he would post odds he thought where good value and recommend that his followers put a bet on. The deal was that 50% of all losing stakes went directly to him. He ended up getting some Abu Dhabi princes to bet through his membership code, getting 50% of everything they lost - and they where betting the big bucks, cos its banned over there. He's been stopped doing it now, the bookie pulled out, but he will never need to work again, all for 12 months on twitter. 

Sounds like he got paid more than the average amongst the affiliates scheme, probably because of the number of followers he had. There are a couple of Tweeters on to these tipsters and uncovering them. To me it seems immoral and as one person tweeted, how can the betting site advise people to gamble responsibly, with this going on?

About 6yrs ago I ran my own website offering daily football and horseracing tips with 25+ bookie affliates linked to my site.

I offered previews and bookie sign up offers. I was in partnership with a mate from London who owned freemoneycouk and a odds comparison site along with a punters forum. Whilst I failed to jump on the bandwagon early enough to make a good living from these sign up bonus and bounty offers I did ok. Another lad I know was making 10k a week off sign ups and repeat customers who had opened the account via his ( and mine) sites.

Anyone can do it just make a website and email all the bookies for an affiliate 

From what I remember certain bookmakers gave you % of sign ups and every 10 bets they placed having opened the bookie account via the site we got a bonus.

Others you was given a fixed reward of sign ups. Whilst your affliate account can be + or - you can only withdraw funds at certain amounts. Stanjames paid me £370 one month in commission but on the flip side if a punter is winning and withdrawing the money your in red and only can withdraw when your in the black.

5 hours ago, lraC said:

how can the betting site advise people to gamble responsibly, with this going on?

High street bookmakers have the same 'moral' they promote responsibility the same breweries put drink responsible on a can of lager.

I worked for Coral and we have the power to refuse anyone who we think has not got betting under control but this often causes more problems than it solves. As one customer said to me I could blow all my money every day of the week you dont know my bank account, but we did see some horror stories unfold whilst in the shop. People spending rent money and shopping money. Even had 1 guy in once after blowing all his money on anything that ran ended up crying in the corner of the shop. We asked what the problem was and he said he lost all his money, but then said that it wasnt his money. lol 

The only punters we barred was the self exclusions who sign a form banning themselves from the premises for min 6months but failing that as long as you have customer care cards and links to gambling commission then your free to lose all your money. 

Bookies don't care about the punter. Something like 0.2% of their profits go to that advisory service you see on the adverts and they are fighting to keep those fixed odds machines you hear about. I think a few also are tax dodgers registered overseas too, so their profits don't go anywhere near helping anyone but their shareholders.

There's an interview with Kyle Lafferty admitting his gambling addiction on the BBC website today.

2 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Bookies don't care about the punter. Something like 0.2% of their profits go to that advisory service you see on the adverts and they are fighting to keep those fixed odds machines you hear about. I think a few also are tax dodgers registered overseas too, so their profits don't go anywhere near helping anyone but their shareholders.

There's an interview with Kyle Lafferty admitting his gambling addiction on the BBC website today.

There are plenty around with Gambling addictions and that's what some of these tipsters rely on. Lafferty is like many other footballers, who seems to need a high from somewhere to relieve the boredom of their lives, outside of football. There are plenty of stories around, of high profile players falling victim to this.

I like a bit of a flutter every now and then, nothing to serious, bit of fun, but I've been struck recently at the amount of betting adverts seemingly every where you look, its betting advert after betting advert, complete overkill in my opinion be it online or on TV.

Gambling brings so much misery to so many people, I know one bloke that remortgaged his house and gambled that away, lost his wife and 2 kids in the process, an extreme case and I don't want it banning, just the adverts culling.

Mate was following a tipster a few months back on facebook, he never asked you to join anything, he turns £20 into £1000 regularly (did it 3 times in 1 month I was watching, not following) if you've got the patience and time to follow him, of course he also loses :tu:  

1 hour ago, Gav said:

I like a bit of a flutter every now and then, nothing to serious, bit of fun, but I've been struck recently at the amount of betting adverts seemingly every where you look, its betting advert after betting advert, complete overkill in my opinion be it online or on TV.

Gambling brings so much misery to so many people, I know one bloke that remortgaged his house and gambled that away, lost his wife and 2 kids in the process, an extreme case and I don't want it banning, just the adverts culling.

Mate was following a tipster a few months back on facebook, he never asked you to join anything, he turns £20 into £1000 regularly (did it 3 times in 1 month I was watching, not following) if you've got the patience and time to follow him, of course he also loses :tu:  

Strangely enough, one guy claiming to do that, was actually deleting the losing bets and making out he was winning that type of bet, when in reality he wasn't. All of his Tweets have now been deleted, so not too sure what has happened. One of the Tweeters I now follow has been checking this type of thins out and one such tipster lost 116 accas in a row!. Posts under the name, football super bets.

3 minutes ago, lraC said:

Strangely enough, one guy claiming to do that, was actually deleting the losing bets and making out he was winning that type of bet, when in reality he wasn't. All of his Tweets have now been deleted, so not too sure what has happened. One of the Tweeters I now follow has been checking this type of thins out and one such tipster lost 116 accas in a row!. Posts under the name, football super bets.

Thats often the case - lots of '£25 to £1000 challenge' or '£1 to £100 challenge', its all fluff, often the lose and the tweets disappear followed by loads of fake accounts blocking out the people that noticed, when they do win its odds on with poor returns. Dreadful. 

3 minutes ago, lraC said:

As Phil say above - Trust No One - but this chap we followed won a couple of times - I never bet, my mate did and won, but the only problem was he was betting at half time of games mainly, so you really had to be on the ball and it takes over your life.

3 minutes ago, J*B said:

If you are going to follow 'tipsters' please, please use: https://www.wantmybet.com/leaderboard which shows how tipsters recent form, number of wins, average win, total returns, top win £. 

If you're going to follow these people, follow the good ones.

Best tip I can give, 100% winner - don't eat yellow snow, you heard it here first :tu:

• Backroom

The house almost always wins. Hence the incredible amount of betting companies. They wouldn't exist if the odds were in favour of the punters.

Only way to guarantee money from betting companies is matched betting, which despite the name isn't betting at all because you're calculating certain profit based on the odds. You'll never win big but I was up £300 in about two months. Only stopped because the footy season ended. Should start up again really. 

3 hours ago, DE. said:

The house almost always wins. Hence the incredible amount of betting companies.  

I dont bet nowadays due to being on the otherside and seeing the horrors unfold, now and again Ill have a coupon bet at weekend but nothing serious. ( 98% of coupon bets are losers hence why they print out coupons to draw punters in). The bets the bookies dont want you to do are the bets that are hard to find 'in shop'  CFC and CTC bets with bonuses for correct order.

Lots of rules punters don't know also which favours the bookies ie  0-0 bet for football is the same odds as no goalscorer but if you bet no goalscorer  own goals dont count.

BEst bets for punters are ones with voids on as not many punters know the rules, I know of a shop that  HAS a 30k bet thats not been picked up cus someone didnt know the rules bets like these go straight back into the bookies profits.

Remember the Grand National few yrs ago when a horse got withdrawn at the start  because it dint come under orders it was deemed a non-runner but many punters threw away the bet slip. I totted this up roughly the day after at well over 1K 

Archived