SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gillingham - Home

JPTSwindon

• Paul pinned this topic
  • Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the start of a very big month for Rovers with six league games in 32 days plus an EFL match. Five of those league games are spread over a 17 day period. 

The current bottom three - Gillingham, Oldham, Plymouth

The two teams immediately below us - Fleetwood and Portsmouth 

The current second placed side - Wigan

Three points on Saturday is essential.

We're not the finished article yet by a fair distance. When we are we'll be able to play like last night regularly.  Gillingham will be coming to do a " Wimbledon " on us. If we start like we did last night we should have enough firepower to see us over the line. An up tempo start is the key, get them on the back foot and keep them there.

i don't see many changes from the starting line up to be honest. One or two players are ripe for a spell on the bench but I'd give them one more game.

Peter Taylor in charge of Gillingham following their manager getting sacked earlier this week. Last night they picked up a decent 0-0 with Scunthorpe. I expect the first thing Taylor will do is sort their defence out and make them much harder to beat. They'll be more organised than they have been so far this season.

We simply have to win this one and get some momentum building. Fail to do so and we're back to square one again.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Peter Taylor is director of football there at Gillingham but says he doesnt want to be their new manager

He was manager last night and almost certainly will be on Saturday unless they make a very quick appointment.

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

If we play with the same intensity as we did last night especially in the first half than we should have no problem winning this one.

Definitely go for the jugular.. Gillingham at home has to be a comfortable three points 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Peter Taylor is director of football there at Gillingham but says he doesnt want to be their new manager

He's a busted flush.. DOF. Now where have we heard that before looks like it's done Gillingham a world of good.. 

Wasnt there some scandal at Gillingham prior to them going down the DOF route involving the manager chairman and his Mrs I vaguely remember it being in the Sunday papers when was working down south a few years ago 

2 minutes ago, Athlete said:

He's a busted flush.. DOF. Now where have we heard that before looks like it's done Gillingham a world of good.. 

Wasnt there some scandal at Gillingham prior to them going down the DOF route involving the manager chairman and his Mrs I vaguely remember it being in the Sunday papers when was working down south a few years ago 

No idea. Know Taylor been there a few times in different roles

I remember having a great chat with Taylor when he was boss of Dover during our Prem winning season. They had been playing at Barrow and Rovers London branch had the seats reserved on the other end of the same carriage as the Dover lads on the train back from Preston. Very good decent bloke. 

By all accounts, last night's 0-0 with Scunthorpe at the Priestfield was an exceptionally dreary affair. Gills managed one effort on target out of 4 shots all evening.

This is going to be another don't concede first but please don't come out so negative we never get to their goal line. Hopefully, whatever Rovers were on last night was bottled and handed round at 2.55 on Saturday.

Is anybody else starting to get a really good feeling about this season? After what was a dreadful start, I really feel like we have started to step up a gear, long may that continue, although I am certain that a few more hiccups will occur during the season. 

I have full faith in Mowbray and his philosophies and I am cautiously optimistic about a good win here. Although, it might be typical Rovers where we many struggle to break down what could be a resilient side. 

In regards to team selection, anyone but Ward. A few years ago I thought he was a good solid player, but now is a shell of the former player he used to be. 

Cautiously optimistic, but very cautious! A friend of mine who I work with is a gills fan and is expecting nothing but an absolute thumping from the game! As i always say we have to earn our victories at this level. 

Just now, RV Blue said:

It properly clicked last night for the first time this season, so I would keep the team the same. Even though I've been a critic of Evans, I thought he played well last night so I would keep him in for this one, with Whittingham coming off the bench.

Me too. Same starting 11 and same bench. Plenty of variations we can make with three subs. No point in rushing Conway back for me.

I take it Hart went out wide on the left in a more attacking role when he came on with Chapman going up front ?

Archived