BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gillingham - Home

JPTSwindon

Just now, roversfan99 said:

What did you think of the change to move the excellent Whittingham onto the wing, and Bennett into central midfield?

And if we werent at our best, how come practically everyone played well?

1st question, didn't understand that at all

2nd question, we weren't at our best going forward and playing like we did on Tuesday. But we kept a clean sheet and got the points. 

Gillingham did applied some pressure but nothing you wouldn't expect from a team chasing the game at 1 nil down. Need to defend sensible and keep it simple. sometimes we didn't but did enough to win. 

we have to battled for the 3 points second half. 

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

He was shyte, which is why he got subbed. A bit of running around and the odd nice touch but to little effect.

He got subbed because Mowbray is Fing clueless! He was our best player by some distance before he was subbed, and when he went off we went to sh1t. I'm shocked that a poster like you can't see it.

55 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Not impressed by Graham sub. he looks lazy, unfit and doesn't watch the ball. 

we weren't at our best today but 3 points and a clean sheet is all that matters

How has Mowbray allowed Danny to get into such a state? Il go further than that, the team bar Bennett who's a natural athlete look devoid of fitness. Did we ever replace Chris Neville? Another cheapie promoted youth coach?

5 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

How has Mowbray allowed Danny to get into such a state? Il go further than that, the team bar Bennett who's a natural athlete look devoid of fitness. Did we ever replace Chris Neville? Another cheapie promoted youth coach?

he been unfit since he join the club permanently to be honest. always look tired after 5 mins or so. Graham should be blamed for the state of his fitness. he is adult, not a child that need babysitter. He is pro and should know what he needs to be properly fit. cant keep blaming other people

Chris Rush is the 1st team first fitness coach. he was Chris Neville number 2. no problem with the Rush appointment

We can't say, on the one hand, that to get promoted you have to win ugly sometimes and point to all the 1-0's we got last time under Kendal, then complain when we do!

However, its a pity  that we can't be more dominant at home and win 1-0 away! Something wrong with the mental side of this lot.

Good first half. Thought the team selection was correct with Whittingham pulling the strings in midfield, and good shape where Dack could pick up space and second balls. Antonsson again looked far better coming in from the left, rather playing with his back against their goal. Gillingham came to close up shop, but we got the goal as well as created chances.

Second half Gillingham pressed higher and the change of formation after the subs in second half didn't help. We defended far too deep and Whittingham shouldn't been on the wing. Raya needs to cut out the risky passes. In the end an important win which puts us in a decent form and position. Still looking for a 90min performance without the stress.

4 hours ago, Phil T said:

We never really got into gear, but it's another 3 points in the bag, another win at home, another clean sheet, and sets us up nicely going into the international break. The table is looking a lot more like it.

Raya Outmuscled a few times in the air, but fortunately, not costly. As a goalkeeper, he needs to learn that there are virtually no consequences to putting his weight into claiming aerial balls. I think he mis-kicked once, but pulled off a couple of excellent saves in the latter part of the game to keep a clean sheet and help with the three points. He's definitely growing on me.

Caddis Didn't have much to do defensively, but didn't get forward much, either. Passed back unnecessarily throughout the game. He was OK.

Downing Misplaced a few passes, but otherwise, very steady at the back. Feel a lot less nervous with him in the team than Ward.

Mulgrew Calm head, and never put a foot wrong. Likes to bring the ball forward, and stood up to be counted. Solid performance.

Williams Defensively good, and continues to get forward in attacks. He's solidified that left-back spot, and was surprised to see why anybody would call for him to be replaced. When he gets forward, he checks back a bit too much for my liking.

Whittingham A calm and wise head in the middle of the park. He wasn't a game-changer, but a man of few mistakes, so I'd like to see him start in the next league match, because Evans has looked out of sorts this season.

Smallwood He tackled, he passed, he got back, he got forward - the usual. He's the mainstay of the team, and probably our most important player.

Bennett MotM, and little to argue with on that front. Got back and tracked well when needed, which seems to be his growing trait. Showed experienced midfielder attributes.

Antonsson A good first half attacking down the flank, but anonymous in the second half.

Dack Excellent performance and attitude. Caused the majority of problems when we attacked the opposition, and is a tricky customer.

Samuel For me, MotM. He held the ball up extremely well, and deserved his goal. He's our only striker who can play up top on his own, so he's going to be crucial for a lot of our matches this season.

Chapman Showed great energy to attack the opposition. He didn't track back to defend, but that's the type of player he is, and the trade-off for his attacking abilities. Couldn't tell whether he really dived or not, so can't judge the booking he got.

Graham Tried hard, and gave us a physical presence towards to the end of the game when he came on for Antonsson.

Gladwin In his efforts to try, he ran around unwisely, like a headless chicken. It's good to use your energy, but he didn't do it in the right way, leaving our midfield exposed to counter attacks.

Nice summary thanks.

I guess its good to be debating TM, tactics and player fitness after a win but I have to agree with some. TM made some very strange decisions today and I think player performances have to be factored in to that. I liked the line up at that start to be honest - in fact its the team I would have selected as i felt Whittingham deserved a start. Perhaps i might have started Chapman but as he has been so effective from the bench I kind of accepted it would not happen. 

As others have mentioned however, why all the chopping and changing with the subs? It really weakened us and we were lucky to escape with the points. It literally could have cost us all three had they equalised. 

2 hours ago, Mike E said:

I don't think the team is actually lacking anyone 'hard'. Smallwood, Downing, Gladwin, Caddis, Dack, Bennett can all be naughty.

What we lack is a player that is ONLY a hardman to set the example for the rest. Todd or Moran or even a stupid pillock like Barton.

Barton and hardman Should never be in the same sentence 

4 hours ago, RV Blue said:

He got subbed because Mowbray is Fing clueless! He was our best player by some distance before he was subbed, and when he went off we went to sh1t. I'm shocked that a poster like you can't see it.

Remind me what Dack did again? I kept seeing him receive the ball in space  and doing nowt with it. He looked leggy and lost the ball quite a few times. He certainly worked hard but that's not enough when you're supposed to be the creative fulcrum of the team. He doesn't look fit either. There's plenty more to come from him though, you can tell there's a player in there somewhere, and probably a very good one at League 1 level.

Hope you're shock has subsided;)

9 hours ago, JacknOry said:

As others have mentioned however, why all the chopping and changing with the subs? It really weakened us and we were lucky to escape with the points. It literally could have cost us all three had they equalised. 

No, literally it would have cost us 2? :)

7 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Remind me what Dack did again? I kept seeing him receive the ball in space  and doing nowt with it. He looked leggy and lost the ball quite a few times. He certainly worked hard but that's not enough when you're supposed to be the creative fulcrum of the team. He doesn't look fit either. There's plenty more to come from him though, you can tell there's a player in there somewhere, and probably a very good one at League 1 level.

I agree with all of this but I just get the feeling for whatever reason it isn't going to work out for dack here. It's a premature judgement based on not very much, just a feeling I have when I see him play. I hope I'm wrong , I really do

7 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

He was the only one that was linking the midfield and attack, he'd come deep to get it and drive forward with it and he'd play it on or win a foul. When he went off we looked absolutely clueless.

Football is all about opinions - and it is amazing how different peoples are about a couple of players yesterday.

Personally I like the look of Dack - and think he is going to be an excellent player for us. Yesterday I thought he did ok - and thought we lost a  little something when he went off.

Whittingham - thought he looked good while we were in possession and passed the ball well. However the guy doesn't seem able to, or be willing to, put his foot in and tackle. IMO it showed - when a team stands off us - as they did in the first half - he looks good, but second half when they put us under a bit of pressure I would have taken him off, as he looked at sea. I think Mowbray moved him out of centre midfield for that very reason - though why Evans wasn't brought on I am not sure.

As far as the match is concerned - I think peoples negative opinions are being swayed by a poor second half. Overall we should have had the match in the bag by half time - and over the 90 minutes we were worthy winners - though the number of chances we concede is worrying. My hope is that we are saving all these missed chances for when we play the bigger teams - as we have been able to get away with it against the lower teams - not certain the likes of Wigan would be so generous.

For all the doom and gloom - IF we won our game in hand we would be only 3 points off second spot - with us yet to play Wigan. More importantly - though in patches - we are starting to show our quality more - and wins should hopefully breed confidence - badly needed after our decline over the last few years (not just players, but fans)

2 hours ago, RV Blue said:

He was the only one that was linking the midfield and attack, he'd come deep to get it and drive forward with it and he'd play it on or win a foul. When he went off we looked absolutely clueless.

That's his job as a No.10 and why he's on the pitch. The point I was making is he didn't do it very well. Anyone can get the ball in the hole and turn, especially when the opposition are sat deep. His job is to create chances and score goals, he did neither.  He basically ran a round to little effect and all too often ran down blind alleys or got the ball taken off him. He looks a yard off the pace to me. When he went off he looked knackered.

There's no denying he has talent.

• J*B unpinned this topic
19 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

There aren't 80 goals in this side.

Too much of a muchness.  No height.  No pace.  

Ricky Lambert would be a useful player at this level.  

The January transfer window looks like being key to Rovers success this season if the club can offload a few of the poorer players and bring in a quality striker then positive things might happen. 

14 minutes ago, JAL said:

The January transfer window looks like being key to Rovers success this season if the club can offload a few of the poorer players and bring in a quality striker then positive things might happen. 

I would suggest that the only quality striker we could entice to the Rovers, is one of, "division one quality" and I think we have those already!

2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

That's his job as a No.10 and why he's on the pitch. The point I was making is he didn't do it very well. Anyone can get the ball in the hole and turn, especially when the opposition are sat deep. His job is to create chances and score goals, he did neither.  He basically ran a round to little effect and all too often ran down blind alleys or got the ball taken off him. He looks a yard off the pace to me. When he went off he looked knackered.

There's no denying he has talent.

Dack was the same at Shrewsbury, got into promising positions at times but no end product, mostly sideways and back. 

How many times have we seen players like that over the years?

2 minutes ago, Gav said:

Dack was the same at Shrewsbury, got into promising positions at times but no end product, mostly sideways and back. 

How many times have we seen players like that over the years?

I sounds like he is lacking a bit of confidence. It is good that he is getting in good positions. He has done the business in this division before, in a worse team, so I would still be confident that he will deliver. 

We haven't had anyone like him for a while, even in his current form. Our centre midfield has been dull, turgid and uninspiring for years 

Archived