[Archived] Gillingham - Home

JPTSwindon

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom
Just now, philipl said:

Promoted teams win dirty at times.

Having said that, there is no stopping Wigan and Shrewsbury at the top- automatic promotion is going to be one enormous fight.

Convinced Wigan will keep it up and win the league, I think the other spot is up for grabs though 

• Backroom

Genuinely think we would have drawn or lost that game had we stuck with Jason Steele

By the way I thought Whittingham was a class act today, could have been greedier a couple of times but played his role well   

2 minutes ago, danger19_80 said:

Kean had us top 2 or 3 at the start of that first season we went down, believe it or not.

I've probably blocked that out.

I'm sure one day it'll come back to me, like Nam' flashbacks but much much worse.

• Backroom
14 minutes ago, Tom said:

Genuinely think we would have drawn or lost that game had we stuck with Jason Steele

By the way I thought Whittingham was a class act today, could have been greedier a couple of times but played his role well   

3 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Mowbray is a joker, those subs were a disgrace. How that liability Whittingham got 90 mins I don't know.

???

1 hour ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Bit of a borefest that.  They clearly hoping for a lucky goal from the big lump up front- and nearly got one but brave save by Raya.  Apart from that we've been comfortable.  Got the goal.  Bennett beem excellent..Dack average but being man marked. Antonsson poor on the left.

Much needed win with a game in hand but the stats still show Rovers attack as being mid table with defence top four. Quite clearly the focus needs to be on the finishing in order for the Rovers to get out of this league. 

10 minutes ago, sambo said:

How did Whittingham play?

Ok till mowbray put him in dacks role after 60mins and then out wide right later in 2nd half.  he didn't trust him in the middle, and brought bennett into the centre instead instantly nullifying our threat down the right and leaving caddis exposed. Genius from Mowbray :rolleyes: he should have just brought evans on for whitto and left bennett out wide. Tactically astute!

31 minutes ago, danger19_80 said:

Kean had us top 2 or 3 at the start of that first season we went down, believe it or not.

Yes we were off the scale lucky in our first four games- playing like dregs and overwhelmed by the opposition yet scraping wins or draws. 

Good vocal support especially at start of second half when we had all 4 sides singing. Maybe that encouraged Gills with a "your not famous anymore"?? Mowbray has hell of a shout which is good to see.

A few soft shots that didn't worry their keeper and I'm sure most of our players are capable of a one touch pass instead of giving opposition time to think.

Main thing today is we won :lol:

A hard fought 3 points but certainly not deserving of them. We could have a couple more but if Gillingham had any real quality about them they could have had 3 or 4 also.

Raya is a fantastic shot stopper but his distribution and his aerial presence leaves a lot to be desired. That pass in the 2nd half straight to the Gillingham lad could have left him with egg on his face. He needs to cut them mistakes out.

Mulgrew was unspectacular today. He didn't win much in the air and I wasn't overly impressed with his distribution either. He also had a couple of chances with free kicks and didn't work the keeper, which is disappointing considering we had Whittingham on the pitch. Why is he taking corners when he's 6 foot 3? Surely Whittingham is more than capable.

Downing was ok but the talk of him having mistakes in him is definitely correct. In the 2nd half he played an awful pass then got megged. It left us in trouble and a 4 on 3 situation at the back with him struggling to chase the ball down. He wasn't good enough in the air. They looked dangerous every time a high ball came into the box because neither Mulgrew or Downing had the balls to take control and clear their lines. Downing did at least make some good tackles and fills me with more confidence than Ward.

Caddis was steady. He puts the balls into the right areas when hitting it down the line and tends to keep hold of the ball. He's got to be lucky not to be caught too far forward as his lack of pace was evident today.

Williams needs to be dropped. Why is a natural left footer so insistent on cutting on to his right? Drifts far too inwards and means we lack width. In the first half he was doubled up on for crosses and one ball over his head would have resulted in a goal had their player been able to bring it down. Not good enough in the air, scared to defend and very rarely makes the right decision. An example of this would be in the final few minutes he headed the ball out straight to their player when it should have either gone behind or been cleared out - then, 5 minutes later, when he had a chance to clear the ball from a long throw he chose to head it straight back out and gave them another chance. Where's Hart?

Smallwood and Whittingham did their jobs well enough. A decent pairing in midfield. Not Smallwoods best performance but still head and shoulders above what Lowe ever gave us. Whittingham's game was ruined by Mowbray's lack of tactical knowledge - why was he out wide right, leaving Caddis open every time, with Bennett in the middle? Weird decision.

Bennett was fantastic. Good in the tackle and good with the ball. I just wish he ran at them more rather than choosing the early cross or the pass. He unlocked the defence with a few over the top today to Antonsson that sadly didn't come to a goal. Was let down by his team mates.

Dack was rounded out the game. They doubled on him, hacked at his legs and he suffered. A bit of a bit part player really. He needs to improve.

Antonsson showed today why he's been let out on loan. Was never in the game and without a goal his performances really do stink. I don't buy this whole "fans have been harsh" argument; he's been poor since he came but the goals have flattered to deceive. Chapman would be much better here.

Samuel had an ok game. Struggled to hold the ball up but didn't really have much service. Got the goal so that's job done for a striker.

Chapman is exciting isn't he? Everytime he gets the ball there's a buzz in the air. He can make players look silly and this not starting him to use him as an impact player is silly when you've got as much possession as we have. Antonsson never came close to unlocking their defence like Chapman did in 20 mins.

Tony's subs were awful. Gladwin ambled around the pitch: I thought we saw the back of him? Chapman came on too late in my opinion and Whittingham should have come off earlier in the game if the plan was to have him out wide. Evans in the middle & Bennett out there would have been much more stable.

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

A hard fought 3 points but certainly not deserving of them. We could have a couple more but if Gillingham had any real quality about them they could have had 3 or 4 also.

Raya is a fantastic shot stopper but his distribution and his aerial presence leaves a lot to be desired. That pass in the 2nd half straight to the Gillingham lad could have left him with egg on his face. He needs to cut them mistakes out.

Mulgrew was unspectacular today. He didn't win much in the air and I wasn't overly impressed with his distribution either. He also had a couple of chances with free kicks and didn't work the keeper, which is disappointing considering we had Whittingham on the pitch. Why is he taking corners when he's 6 foot 3? Surely Whittingham is more than capable.

Downing was ok but the talk of him having mistakes in him is definitely correct. In the 2nd half he played an awful pass then got megged. It left us in trouble and a 4 on 3 situation at the back with him struggling to chase the ball down. He wasn't good enough in the air. They looked dangerous every time a high ball came into the box because neither Mulgrew or Downing had the balls to take control and clear their lines. Downing did at least make some good tackles and fills me with more confidence than Ward.

Caddis was steady. He puts the balls into the right areas when hitting it down the line and tends to keep hold of the ball. He's got to be lucky not to be caught too far forward as his lack of pace was evident today.

Williams needs to be dropped. Why is a natural left footer so insistent on cutting on to his right? Drifts far too inwards and means we lack width. In the first half he was doubled up on for crosses and one ball over his head would have resulted in a goal had their player been able to bring it down. Not good enough in the air, scared to defend and very rarely makes the right decision. An example of this would be in the final few minutes he headed the ball out straight to their player when it should have either gone behind or been cleared out - then, 5 minutes later, when he had a chance to clear the ball from a long throw he chose to head it straight back out and gave them another chance. Where's Hart?

Smallwood and Whittingham did their jobs well enough. A decent pairing in midfield. Not Smallwoods best performance but still head and shoulders above what Lowe ever gave us. Whittingham's game was ruined by Mowbray's lack of tactical knowledge - why was he out wide right, leaving Caddis open every time, with Bennett in the middle? Weird decision.

Bennett was fantastic. Good in the tackle and good with the ball. I just wish he ran at them more rather than choosing the early cross or the pass. He unlocked the defence with a few over the top today to Antonsson that sadly didn't come to a goal. Was let down by his team mates.

Dack was rounded out the game. They doubled on him, hacked at his legs and he suffered. A bit of a bit part player really. He needs to improve.

Antonsson showed today why he's been let out on loan. Was never in the game and without a goal his performances really do stink. I don't buy this whole "fans have been harsh" argument; he's been poor since he came but the goals have flattered to deceive. Chapman would be much better here.

Samuel had an ok game. Struggled to hold the ball up but didn't really have much service. Got the goal so that's job done for a striker.

Chapman is exciting isn't he? Everytime he gets the ball there's a buzz in the air. He can make players look silly and this not starting him to use him as an impact player is silly when you've got as much possession as we have. Antonsson never came close to unlocking their defence like Chapman did in 20 mins.

Tony's subs were awful. Gladwin ambled around the pitch: I thought we saw the back of him? Chapman came on too late in my opinion and Whittingham should have come off earlier in the game if the plan was to have him out wide. Evans in the middle & Bennett out there would have been much more stable.

Thanks for that, a very comprehensive summing up of the game. How did the fans go on ?

Archived