BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gillingham - Home

JPTSwindon

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Thanks for that, a very comprehensive summing up of the game. How did the fans go on ?

Quiet. The attendance definitely inflated. I changed my ticket today to sit in the JW upper and go with a relative. It gave me a much better view of the game but also gave me an idea of what kind of noise is travelling from the BBE: not much. In the first half it was very quiet but came out in the 2nd half with a bit of 'barmy army'. Other than that not much at all.

Not a single 'walking down bolton road', no nay never (although I think I heard it coming from Darwen End once) or anything. In the 2nd half the crowd was getting very restless with the passing game we were playing and the lack of vision of our players. Everytime one took too long on the ball it was met with a groan louder than any chant. A shame really.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good first half and I will take a win as we probably deserved it.

Whittingham was ok in the first half, picking passes out and seemed to always be available, disappeared second half.

Dack's substitution and moving Bennett central and Whittingham wide was a shocking tactical move, we were woeful after that and could easily have conceded.

Downing is a strange one, cannot pass to save his life but not such a bad defender (better than Ward).

Raya gave us all a heart attack and then made two quality saves. Williams is less than average in everything.

Chapman looks great going forward but cannot do the defensive bit.

Smallwood put 100% in as did Dack. Antonsson was average. Caddis steady, Mulgrew excellent, Samuel mediocre. Graham was Graham.

Anyway, onward and upward, top six I heard on the way home, that'll do nicely!!

Just now, Doug said:

Whittingham was ok in the first half, picking passes out and seemed to always be available, disappeared second half.

Dack's substitution and moving Bennett central and Whittingham wide was a shocking tactical move, we were woeful after that and could easily have conceded.

Downing is a strange one, cannot pass to save his life but not such a bad defender (better than Ward).

Raya gave us all a heart attack and then made two quality saves. Williams is less than average in everything.

Smallwood put 100% in as did Dack. Antonsson was average. Caddis steady, Mulgrew excellent, Samuel mediocre. Graham was Graham.

Just interested to as why you think this Doug? I thought he had one of his poorer games today.

12 minutes ago, Doug said:

Who've we got that come in and improve on the average, mediocre and Graham to push us over the line ?

Didn't Mowbray tell us that he didn't have the tools to do the job !

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

Just interested to as why you think this Doug? I thought he had one of his poorer games today.

Just my overall impression, he had their CF in his pocket for most of the first half, I don't think Downing on one side and Williams on the other helps him!!

A win is a win but........

In the battle between the managers Taylor beat Mowbray hands down. The changes Taylor made gave them the upper hand whilst I thought Mowbray reacted to the Gillingham changes with his substitutions and positional changes. Why on earth he needed to have Whittingham in three different positions (one where he has spectacularly flopped already this season) and Bennett in central midfield was perplexing. And Gladwin weakened us in whatever position he was playing in (I couldn't work that one out). The stupid passing game we try to play along the back four and keeper has already cost us this season and nearly did again today. Our play had a real tiredness to it as the game went on and the sigh of relief at Ewood on the final whistle was palpable. We got away with one today.

It's good to see us gi

2 minutes ago, Doug said:

I completely agree about Whittingham. He really isn't up to it.

A good win today though- we didn't play well, but still came away with three points. Winning when you're not at your best is always a good sign. To make it even better, we've done it at home, where we've been poor and we're in the play-offs!

Just now, arbitro said:

A win is a win but........

In the battle between the managers Taylor beat Mowbray hands down. The changes Taylor made gave them the upper hand whilst I thought Mowbray reacted to the Gillingham changes with his substitutions and positional changes. Why on earth he needed to have Whittingham in three different positions (one where he has spectacularly flopped already this season) and Bennett in central midfield was perplexing. And Gladwin weakened us in whatever position he was playing in (I couldn't work that one out). The stupid passing game we try to play along the back four and keeper has already cost us this season and nearly did again today. Our play had a real tiredness to it as the game went on and the sigh of relief at Ewood on the final whistle was palpable. We got away with one today.

If Taylor had won the battle against Mowbray, he would have walked away with all three points. 

We never really got into gear, but it's another 3 points in the bag, another win at home, another clean sheet, and sets us up nicely going into the international break. The table is looking a lot more like it.

Raya Outmuscled a few times in the air, but fortunately, not costly. As a goalkeeper, he needs to learn that there are virtually no consequences to putting his weight into claiming aerial balls. I think he mis-kicked once, but pulled off a couple of excellent saves in the latter part of the game to keep a clean sheet and help with the three points. He's definitely growing on me.

Caddis Didn't have much to do defensively, but didn't get forward much, either. Passed back unnecessarily throughout the game. He was OK.

Downing Misplaced a few passes, but otherwise, very steady at the back. Feel a lot less nervous with him in the team than Ward.

Mulgrew Calm head, and never put a foot wrong. Likes to bring the ball forward, and stood up to be counted. Solid performance.

Williams Defensively good, and continues to get forward in attacks. He's solidified that left-back spot, and was surprised to see why anybody would call for him to be replaced. When he gets forward, he checks back a bit too much for my liking.

Whittingham A calm and wise head in the middle of the park. He wasn't a game-changer, but a man of few mistakes, so I'd like to see him start in the next league match, because Evans has looked out of sorts this season.

Smallwood He tackled, he passed, he got back, he got forward - the usual. He's the mainstay of the team, and probably our most important player.

Bennett MotM, and little to argue with on that front. Got back and tracked well when needed, which seems to be his growing trait. Showed experienced midfielder attributes.

Antonsson A good first half attacking down the flank, but anonymous in the second half.

Dack Excellent performance and attitude. Caused the majority of problems when we attacked the opposition, and is a tricky customer.

Samuel For me, MotM. He held the ball up extremely well, and deserved his goal. He's our only striker who can play up top on his own, so he's going to be crucial for a lot of our matches this season.

Chapman Showed great energy to attack the opposition. He didn't track back to defend, but that's the type of player he is, and the trade-off for his attacking abilities. Couldn't tell whether he really dived or not, so can't judge the booking he got.

Graham Tried hard, and gave us a physical presence towards to the end of the game when he came on for Antonsson.

Gladwin In his efforts to try, he ran around unwisely, like a headless chicken. It's good to use your energy, but he didn't do it in the right way, leaving our midfield exposed to counter attacks.

• Backroom

Today's ref was about the best we've had.

Felt he reffed it like a premier league game pulling things up that are fouls but not often given in this league.

Not perfect but better than we've had.

51 minutes ago, JAL said:

Much needed win with a game in hand but the stats still show Rovers attack as being mid table with defence top four. Quite clearly the focus needs to be on the finishing in order for the Rovers to get out of this league. 

There aren't 80 goals in this side.

Too much of a muchness.  No height.  No pace.  

Ricky Lambert would be a useful player at this level.  

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

There aren't 80 goals in this side.

Too much of a muchness.  No height.  No pace.  

Ricky Lambert would be a useful player at this level.  

I agree.... Would he get to any of the balls in though, we put in, in the air? They've been utterly abysmal this season. 

24 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

He was shyte, which is why he got subbed. A bit of running around and the odd nice touch but to little effect.

Would you have taken off Dack or Antonsson?  IMO taking Dack off handed the momentum to Gillingham.  Antonsson did the square root of nothing (except squander a couple of chances first half).  

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Would you have taken off Dack or Antonsson?  IMO taking Dack off handed the momentum to Gillingham.  Antonsson did the square root of nothing (except squander a couple of chances first half).  

That's how I saw it, along with the swapping Bennett and Whittingham's positions.

5 minutes ago, scotchrover said:

Because he won the game. 

I don't get some people on here- Mowbray's doing/ has done a good job in my eyes, after the shambles that Coyle left him. People need to give the man a bit of slack.

Did you not think that Gillingham got the upper hand after their changes tactically and we were weaker? I have said the points are the most important thing but Mowbray shouldn't be above criticism today as his changes could have cost us.

9 minutes ago, Phil T said:

Williams Defensively good, and continues to get forward in attacks. He's solidified that left-back spot, and was surprised to see why anybody would call for him to be replaced. When he gets forward, he checks back a bit too much for my liking.

I don't understand this. He is certainly not defensively good and think a lot of their chances came from either the ball evading him at the back post or crosses from his side. He certainly shouldn't have solidified that left back spot based on todays performances, let alone the rest of them this season. Very poor positionally and hugely expensive in possession. How many chances did he have for the first time ball down the line but instead chose to turn in a circle, pass back to Mulgrew and force the inevitable long ball?

20 minutes ago, Doug said:

Just my overall impression, he had their CF in his pocket for most of the first half, I don't think Downing on one side and Williams on the other helps him!!

Fair enough. It was by no means a bad performance by him but I've seen him play far better. Definitely let down by the others around him. 

Just now, arbitro said:

Did you not think that Gillingham got the upper hand after their changes tactically and we were weaker? I have said the points are the most important thing but Mowbray shouldn't be above criticism today as his changes could have cost us.

Tbh against a better side it would have cost us.. Cracking save from Raya Btw 

Reavaluating at the end of September is automatic promotion on the cards at this moment in time I'd say no play offs at best 

Archived