BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gillingham - Home

JPTSwindon

Was not able to watch but listened, sou ds like a pefect game for the messageboard, we won so the glass half fulls will be happy.  We did not tonk em and some if our much maligned players did poorly enough for the half fulls to fill their boots.

We won, 3 points in the bag I'll take it.  Can't help but feel we rode our luck a bit today, another lack lustre pre break game.  In the past I think it's 3 points we would have squandered.

No doubt in my mind that Steele would have cost us that game today as he tried to make a highlight reel save yet was nowhere near the ball.  Raya doing well he just need to start flooring some if the opponents when he comes to get crosses.  That side of his game worries me.

I just worry about the mental side of our squad.  They need to be fired up for every game and yet they seem to not be, taking the foot off the pedal for the (no disrespect) lower teams.  Got to toughen up that side.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, USABlue said:

Was not able to watch but listened, sou ds like a pefect game for the messageboard, we won so the glass half fulls will be happy.  We did not tonk em and some if our much maligned players did poorly enough for the half fulls to fill their boots.

We won, 3 points in the bag I'll take it.  Can't help but feel we rode our luck a bit today, another lack lustre pre break game.  In the past I think it's 3 points we would have squandered.

No doubt in my mind that Steele would have cost us that game today as he tried to make a highlight reel save yet was nowhere near the ball.  Raya doing well he just need to start flooring some if the opponents when he comes to get crosses.  That side of his game worries me.

I just worry about the mental side of our squad.  They need to be fired up for every game and yet they seem to not be, taking the foot off the pedal for the (no disrespect) lower teams.  Got to toughen up that side.

The mental side of our game as been a worry for a long while. Too many nice lads and not enough animals.

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Would you have taken off Dack or Antonsson?  IMO taking Dack off handed the momentum to Gillingham.  Antonsson did the square root of nothing (except squander a couple of chances first half).  

It wasn't taking off Dack that surrendered momentum (we never really had it 2nd half) it was bringing Bennett inside that ruined our shape and handed them a chance to get back in it. Antonsson was equally as bad ( a far worse footballer than Dack) but he was presumably kept on for his goal threat and because  he at least tried to stretch their back line. I thought Samuel was very static today (lazy) except once in the first half when he ran the channel and cut it back to Dack who scuffed it to the keeper. Dack also kept dropping too deep to get the ball. Overall it was a pretty poor display from everyone except the usual stalwarts.

6 minutes ago, USABlue said:

And who exactly isn't happy with the win? 

2 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

It wasn't taking off Dack that surrendered momentum (we never really had it 2nd half) it was bringing Bennett inside that ruined our shape and handed them a chance to get back in it. Antonsson was equally as bad ( a far worse footballer than Dack) but he was presumably kept on for his goal threat and because  he at least tried to stretch their back line. I thought Samuel was very static today (lazy) except once in the first half when he ran the channel and cut it back to Dack who scuffed it to the keeper. Dack also kept dropping too deep to get the ball. Overall it was a pretty poor display from everyone except the usual stalwarts.

Smallwood? 

Most important thing was the 3 points so happy weve got them but that is as much down to Gillinghams ineptitude as anything else.

Mowbray nearly cost us that with some baffling choices. Moving Whittingham briefly into the 10 position and then to the right wing, moving Bennett next to Smallwood in the process was a totally bizarre change, and screams of a manager who this week was bigging up his tactical acumen as being too clever. I'd like to know what chaddy thinks about Mowbrays decisions today and whether he agrees that they were very poor.

I feel that Whittingham was arguably our best player, he's more forward thinking with his passes and is technically a class above the rest of our team. For me our best central midfielder but under no circumstances is he a winger. Think alot of our fans have already decided he is going to be "the next Murphy" after 2 league starts; part of a terrible team performance at Southend and out wide right in a bizarre formation v Doncaster. 

Raya made a brilliant save at the end but we know his shot stopping is top class, the problem is everything else, 2 appalling kicks and he looks so weak in the air, needs to sort this out fast.

Caddis very solid as was Mulgrew who I feel is guiding the sloppy Downing through, who made some horrendous passes.

Samuel has everything you want as a striker, pace, strength but his decision making and shooting can be so wild. Glad hes ended a small drought but he doesn't always look like hes giving 100%.

Chapman has to start the next game ahead of Antonsson.

Gillingham to go down.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Smallwood? 

Smallwood & Bennett. Honourable mentions to Caddis, Raya (for his cat-like reflexes) and Mulgrew/Downing (who didn't do a lot wrong). Whittingham is obviously the best passer of the ball at the club but if he can only go sideways because there's no movement ahead then he might as well not play.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Smallwood & Bennett. Honourable mentions to Caddis, Raya (for his cat-like reflexes) and Mulgrew/Downing (who didn't do a lot wrong). Whittingham is obviously the best passer of the ball at the club but if he can only go sideways because there's no movement ahead then he might as well not play.

Was Antonnsson not available as an option today? I thought they might link up well 

Would you start Chapman?

22 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The mental side of our game as been a worry for a long while. Too many nice lads and not enough animals.

Yeah, very eloquently put, in dire need of a Glen Keeley or two, perhaps a Malcom Mc Donaly or Dickov type up front.  I think the word is out that if you rough us up a bit we get out of our stride.

2 hours ago, perthblue02 said:

Just replayed it , from the camera angle can't really tell conclusively but looks minimal contact if any. Either way don't think it warranted a booking

It certainly wasn't a penalty. Chapman went down but I don't think he dived, if that makes sense, and it should not have been a booking.

We could have lost this 3-1 as I doubt the players would have come back if Gillingham had equalised. I don't blame Mowbray for the second half performance. It seemed to me by half time the team felt the game was in the bag. We controlled the first half and the Gills offered nothing. Second half the players appeared to think it was just a question of strolling around till full time. This lot need to buck their ideas up as these are  sides we need to put to the sword with 3-4 goals. 

Not a great afternoon's entertainment but relieved to have won and gone to sixth. We've decided to go to Wigan, I feel we could be close to them by then. 

Just now, USABlue said:

Yeah, very eloquently put, in dire need of a Glen Keeley or two, perhaps a Malcom Mc Donaly or Dickov type up front.  I think the word is out that if you rough us up a bit we get out of our stride.

That may be the case but Gillingham didn't rough us up. 

Was Antonnsson not available as an option today? I thought they might link up well 

Would you start Chapman?

Antonsson is a weird one. Sometimes he looks ok but other times he looks like a pub player. Can't believe Leeds paid £2m for him. He runs down blind alleys, loses the ball easily, couldn't hold up a post office with a tank ...but I do think he'll score goals because he seems to find space in the box. Mowbray is in the paper tonight saying the team worked on their attacking play all week but you honestly couldn't tell. Once gain we looked devoid of ideas. It took Chapman to come on again for us to get to the byline and get the ball in.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Antonsson is a weird one. Sometimes he looks ok but other times he looks like a pub player. Can't believe Leeds paid £2m for him. He runs down blind alleys, loses the ball easily, couldn't hold up a post office with a tank ...but I do think he'll score goals because he seems to find space in the box. Mowbray is in the paper tonight saying the team worked on their attacking play all week but you honestly couldn't tell. Once gain we looked devoid of ideas. It took Chapman to come on again for us to get to the byline and get the ball in.

Sounds like it is good that we managed to get the win. Were Gilllingham up to much? 

Sounds like it is good that we managed to get the win. Were Gilllingham up to much? 

Dreadful. We just let them get a foothold 2nd half when Mowbray start moving players around for no obvious reason but that he wanted to keep Whittingham on the pitch. Their left back had the freedom of Ewood 2nd half. The good thing is that these players rarely hurt you as the quality is so bad. The gulf between the Championship and League 1 is huge IMO.

Gillingham being as poor as they were ensured we got the 3 points.

Leeds paying 2m for Antonsson is remarkable, even in todays inflated market. He can't hold the ball up, often runs ahead of the ball and is very poor physically. I can't quite fathom his purpose on the pitch as, whereas with Rhodes you could almost guarantee he'll finish if given the opportunity, he misses an awful lot too.

Chapman must start next game. He understands the role of a winger - beat a man, make the byline and put the ball across. He can win free kicks in dangerous positions and demoralise defenders.

When the ball is played behind the full back and the winger makes the byline Samuel is very good at halting his run, finding those few yards in the penalty box and hitting it first time. Why can't TM see this and order his players to play that way? Frustrating isn't even the word. Sick of seeing them come inside and go side to side.

Highlights. Pretty light on content. 44 seconds in total. What a save my Raya near the end. How their player was left totally unmarked in that position, I do not know. We were lucky to get the win going off that. I read on Twitter that Williams hit the post, who is that not in the highlights? 

http://www.skysports.com/football/blackburn-vs-gillingham/375292

8 minutes ago, rossyrover said:

Poor performance but 3 points and top 6 league position 2 great saves from David Raya on to Oldham after the international break.

Yep we need to continually be looking upwards in regards to the table. We are funny side, this side lacks any personality or identity, we don't seem to have a particular style and as a result we genuinely struggle to win well. 3 points is the most important thing but I'd like to see more from TM.

a win is a win. 

First half we were very good and should have been 3 or 4 nil up before half time. 

second half we were slow, and it was a battle when it didn't need to be, 

Gillingham looks like a side going down. Poor side. 

Whittingham was very good today in terms of passing and Smallwood was good aswell. Back 4 played well. Dack look good in the 1st half but tired in the second half. 

Samuel gives you pace, hold up play and a threat in behind the defence all game. 

Not impressed by Graham sub. he looks lazy, unfit and doesn't watch the ball. 

we weren't at our best today but 3 points and a clean sheet is all that matters

• Backroom

I don't think the team is actually lacking anyone 'hard'. Smallwood, Downing, Gladwin, Caddis, Dack, Bennett can all be naughty.

What we lack is a player that is ONLY a hardman to set the example for the rest. Todd or Moran or even a stupid pillock like Barton.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

a win is a win. 

First half we were very good and should have been 3 or 4 nil up before half time. 

second half we were slow, and it was a battle when it didn't need to be, 

Gillingham looks like a side going down. Poor side. 

Whittingham was very good today in terms of passing and Smallwood was good aswell. Back 4 played well. Dack look good in the 1st half but tired in the second half. 

Samuel gives you pace, hold up play and a threat in behind the defence all game. 

Not impressed by Graham sub. he looks lazy, unfit and doesn't watch the ball. 

we weren't at our best today but 3 points and a clean sheet is all that matters

What did you think of the change to move the excellent Whittingham onto the wing, and Bennett into central midfield?

And if we werent at our best, how come practically everyone played well?

Archived