BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bring the magic back

Interesting topic.

As has been pointed out there are various factors for the decrease in atmosphere at football grounds. I'd say the biggest reason at Ewood is the fact that the team is full of nobodies, playing in the 3rd tier, run by sub par staff, and owned by a group of people who have serially dismantled the club from top to bottom.

When that's your starting point, a few conga lines and a chant of "come on you blues" in a at best half empty stadium isn't likely to get the place banging.

Football is a results business. Winning helps atmosphere.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone has decided that the ground has to 'look good and full' on TV. That was the reason they shut the BBE upper at short notice and moved the Family area to the JW Lower, the reason they relocated the TV gantry to the Riverside at no doubt substantial cost, the reason they lowered season ticket prices in the JW stand and now the reason they are offering the 'October fest' ticket package in the Darwen End and JW Lower but not in the Riverside/BBE. Also the reason that fans were crammed like sardines into the JW Lower for the Stoke/Bury games in the Checkatrade trophy rather than the more sensible approach of opening the upper tier or BBE for the game

Of course anyone who knows anything about football will know that the best way to make the ground look full, rather than annoying supporters by moving them around to different areas, is to put together a decent side that is enjoyable to watch and has a good season now and again. But instead someone somewhere wants to mess around with where people sit and where the cameras are.

3 minutes ago, sweeneybrfc said:

Personally, I'd like to see the Darwen end shut to home fans to improve the atmosphere at home games.

Even more so, one way to improve this further would be to get safe standing in the Blackburn end lower..

If they are our most passionate and vocal supporters, why *iss them off by compelling them to go somewhere else?

Get safe standing area in the BE by all means, DE supporters might then CHOOSE to go there.

Very little likely to be achieved by compulsion imo.

As for the atmosphere in general it will improve when Rovers supporters have something to shout about and crowds grow.Impossible to have an atmosphere in our stadium with 7 or 8000 on.

15 minutes ago, 47er said:

If they are our most passionate and vocal supporters, why *iss them off by compelling them to go somewhere else?

Get safe standing area in the BE by all means, DE supporters might then CHOOSE to go there.

As for the atmosphere in general it will improve when Rovers supporters have something to shout about and crowds grow.Impossible to have an atmosphere in our stadium with 7 or 8000 on.

That sounds like a chicken & egg scenario what gives? The success can only be achieved in my view when everyone is onside & not until.

10 hours ago, 47er said:

Fully agree, as with the Family Stand, the club forced the move and many reacted by simply no longer going. Another thing many miss on this topic is the fact that when we are forced to relocate from the DE many (maybe most) chose to move to the JW Lower next to the away fans. Many are in the DE as they prefer the atmosphere being next to or close to the away fans.

10 hours ago, Bluebarley said:

That sounds like a chicken & egg scenario what gives? The success can only be achieved in my view when everyone is onside & not until.

Hard to know where to begin with this. What do you mean by "success"? Improved results on the field?

With owners like ours', success is illusory and temporary. We are only ever weeks or months away from another disastrous decision by Balaji and Co.They will always let us down.

We will never prosper under Venkys, no matter how many turn up at Ewood to cheer the lads on.

Most Rovers supporters have worked this out.

So, lament all you like, it won't change. Putting blame on supporters for not attending after all we have been through is offensive to me.

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Hard to know where to begin with this. What do you mean by "success"? Improved results on the field?

With owners like ours', success is illusory and temporary. We are only ever weeks or months away from another disastrous decision by Balaji and Co.They will always let us down.

We will never prosper under Venkys, no matter how many turn up at Ewood to cheer the lads on.

So, lament all you like, it won't change. Putting blame on supporters for not attending after all we have been through is offensive to me.

Wasn't blaming anyone or anything, just stating my opinion. Yes regarding success I meant in terms of improving results getting promoted ect. 

1 hour ago, pk1875 said:

Fully agree, as with the Family Stand, the club forced the move and many reacted by simply no longer going. Another thing many miss on this topic is the fact that when we are forced to relocate from the DE many (maybe most) chose to move to the JW Lower next to the away fans. Many are in the DE as they prefer the atmosphere being next to or close to the away fans.

If we look at clubs like Derby, Middlesbrough, Huddersfield who have similar sized grounds to us those clubs have attempted to improve the home atmosphere by moving their vocal supporters as close to the away areas as possible. Likewise at Bolton, Wigan, Preston the noisier home fans congregate close to the away ends.

I'm inclined to agree that merely shutting the DE and hoping those in it move over and fill up the BBE won't necessarily improve the atmosphere. infact possibly the opposite as several hundred used to standing where they want moving into the BBE would probably upset those already there.

I'm a firm believer that we should do with the DE as Huddersfield have done with the section next to the away end at their ground. Make it permanent, stop moving people around for the big games, even when there are large travelling supports. We can still sell 5,000+ away tickets in the DE without needing to move home supporters to other areas. 5,000 away tickets is more than enough and more than most other clubs in the league can or will ever offer.

Was talking about this with an Evertonian this morning. When the two of us started watching live football in the mid 60s, there were only two football programmes on tv. Match of the Day on BBC1 on Saturday evening and the ITV/Granada one on a Sunday afternoon with Gerald Sinstadt. Other than that, if you wanted a football fix, you went and watched your local team live. It was affordable and quite simple to get in. You just turned up and paid at a cash turnstile. 

Back to the atmosphere at Ewood, all credit to the lads in the Darwen End but, why on earth do they congregate over in the far Riverside corner instead of being near the fence, next to the away fans? Being side by side with the away lot would surely stimulate them to sing louder/more and generate a better atmosphere all round. Very strange.

10 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Was talking about this with an Evertonian this morning. When the two of us started watching live football in the mid 60s, there were only two football programmes on tv. Match of the Day on BBC1 on Saturday evening and the ITV/Granada one on a Sunday afternoon with Gerald Sinstadt. Other than that, if you wanted a football fix, you went and watched your local team live. It was affordable and quite simple to get in. You just turned up and paid at a cash turnstile. 

Back to the atmosphere at Ewood, all credit to the lads in the Darwen End but, why on earth do they congregate over in the far Riverside corner instead of being near the fence, next to the away fans? Being side by side with the away lot would surely stimulate them to sing louder/more and generate a better atmosphere all round. Very strange.

Because you are allowed to stand there ( a blind eye turned) if you want.

20 hours ago, AggyBlue said:

The away fans stand at the back next to the fence. Are you saying the away support are allowed but Rovers fans aren't?

Nowhere in my post did I say that. I do not appreciate you making it look like I inferred that. The question was purely about Rovers fans, as was my answer. If you want to make a statement, then go ahead, but don't use my answer to try to lead to your point.  

1 hour ago, rigger said:

Nowhere in my post did I say that. I do not appreciate you making it look like I inferred that. The question was purely about Rovers fans, as was my answer. If you want to make a statement, then go ahead, but don't use my answer to try to lead to your point.  

Whatever you post on here is quotable by any other poster, if you don't want your posts quoting, don't post anything.

I asked a question, a simple yes or mo would have sufficed, no need for a snotty response.

2 hours ago, AggyBlue said:

Whatever you post on here is quotable by any other poster, if you don't want your posts quoting, don't post anything.

I asked a question, a simple yes or mo would have sufficed, no need for a snotty response.

But you didn't quote anything from my post. You are the one that mentioned away fans. My answer to the original question was a statement of fact with no other implication and by the way my answer would have been mo

On ‎06‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 09:26, 47er said:

What do you define as 'prosper'? Would promotion this season fall into the 'prosper' category?

On 05/10/2017 at 22:59, Bluebarley said:

Fan-blaming rubbish. Whenever we have had a spell of 'stability' in the last few years the atmosphere has been muted but it's hardly been a wall of hate pouring from the terraces. If the poisonous atmosphere of some games in the Kean era (Bolton and Wigan) had continued then it's a fair point. However even in those games the crowd only really turned on the team after we had gone behind.

You'd think that the players were playing in a cauldron of hate. They aren't. They are playing in an atmosphere of politely supportive apathy like a lot of teams do. It's up to the players to wingames and get the extra numbers in.  

Im sure Blackpool weren't exactly roared to promotion last year.

Just now, Hasta said:

Fan-blaming rubbish. Whenever we have had a spell of 'stability' in the last few years the atmosphere has been muted but it's hardly been a wall of hate pouring from the terraces. If the poisonous atmosphere of some games in the Kean era (Bolton and Wigan) had continued then it's a fair point. However even in those games the crowd only really turned on the team after we had gone behind.

You'd think that the players were playing in a cauldron of hate. They aren't. They are playing in an atmosphere of politely supportive apathy like a lot of teams do. It's up to the players to wingames and get the extra numbers in.  

Cauldron of hate, love it, that was Barnsley last Boxing Day.

1 hour ago, Hasta said:

Like I've already said I'm blaming anyone or anything. Success will never happen imo whilst certain sections of the fanbase are divided, unity brings success & higher gates will enable more money in the pot to spend on things such as the academy & better calibre players. If people want to be defensive & harbour some warped notion that I'm somehow proportioning blame onto individual factors it couldn't be further from the truth.

10 minutes ago, Bluebarley said:

Like I've already said I'm blaming anyone or anything. Success will never happen imo whilst certain sections of the fanbase are divided, unity brings success & higher gates will enable more money in the pot to spend on things such as the academy & better calibre players. If people want to be defensive & harbour some warped notion that I'm somehow proportioning blame onto individual factors it couldn't be further from the truth.

Blackpool proves it can be achieved. I'm sure there are plenty of other examples of clubs who at the start of the season had a disillusioned fan base who then achieved success come May.

Burnley hardly crammed an extra 10,000 in to get where they are. They just got a good board structure supporting a good manager.

True, there are examples doesn't mean it will happen here then again it doesn't mean it won't. I think we should be on course for promotion this season & im encouraged from what I've seen so far. I just think things could be so much better in lots of respects without necessarily blaming anything or anybody, it is what it is. I'm quite happy how things are panning out so far still scope for improvement in terms of consistency I think TM has a feel for the division & the need to grind out results without playing well rode our luck a little I think recently. No complaints from me regarding anything this season so far overall, will be disappointing if there's no promotion at the end though.

Archived