BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Oldham away

JBiz

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My favourite Oldham story - and I have no idea whether this is true or not - was the one about Gerald Sinstadt interviewing Roger Palmer straight after the first game ever played on that horrible plastic pitch they had. 

"So Roger, how does the plastic compare to the grass?"

"I've no idea mate, I've never smoked plastic" was the alleged reply......

Oldham's recent form is good since the departure of their manager which is usually what happens during the 'caretaker manager' period for a few games. It always wears off, so let's just hope they've already peaked! Also there are rumours that Paul Scholes is getting the job so if that happens before the game, or on announced on the day of the game it will give them a huge boost...plus could bolster their gate.

Embarrassingly for them though, there should be more Away support than Home support and on paper we have more than enough to beat this team. I think we should keep HC on the bench for the start as per the norm and actually continue with the recent more adventurous formation of 4 - 2 - 3 - 1  (even though I think TM will bottle it and go for 4 - 4 - 1 -1 )

I would drop PW and go for CE + RS in central midfield and the front 4 of MA - BD - EB - DS.

Second half subs as CC & HC on each wing, keeping the same formation, not going 0-1 up and reverting into a negative formation, playing players out of position (alá EB in central midfield!).

Prediction 0-2.

1 hour ago, BenRTID said:

Oldham's recent form is good since the departure of their manager which is usually what happens during the 'caretaker manager' period for a few games. It always wears off, so let's just hope they've already peaked! Also there are rumours that Paul Scholes is getting the job so if that happens before the game, or on announced on the day of the game it will give them a huge boost...plus could bolster their gate.

Embarrassingly for them though, there should be more Away support than Home support and on paper we have more than enough to beat this team. I think we should keep HC on the bench for the start as per the norm and actually continue with the recent more adventurous formation of 4 - 2 - 3 - 1  (even though I think TM will bottle it and go for 4 - 4 - 1 -1 )

I would drop PW and go for CE + RS in central midfield and the front 4 of MA - BD - EB - DS.

Second half subs as CC & HC on each wing, keeping the same formation, not going 0-1 up and reverting into a negative formation, playing players out of position (alá EB in central midfield!).

Prediction 0-2.

Roger Bravo Echo November.

DOF out.

Agreed SG, but with Burnley, Bolton, Blackpool, PNE, Wigan, Bury, Rochdale all often being in the third/fourth tier, Oldham was sometimes our only derby (though Man City were often down with us) in that era, so no wonder we took big numbers. Plus we were usually knocking on the door of the top flight.

Our followings have dropped off markedly over the years, so let's hope this season, if nothing else awakens a long dormant away support.

The outstanding feature of the season to date has been the away followings. Whilst the football has at times been bland and inconsistent the fans at away games have been colourful, loud and generally supportive.

Let's hope the journey home is a happy one.

11 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

I really wouldn't class a following to Oldham of 3,500 as 'incredible' by any stretch of the imagination.

Seen us take over 6,000 late 80's when we really didn't have a pot to pish in but what we did have was a very strong bond between club and fans.

I agree SG but all things considered it's a decent shout.

Let's be honest everyone's affinity to football isn't what it was in the late eighties. 

I hope the Venkys don't read too much into the increase in our away support other than that it's a bloody good day out with the lads, good sing song and a few beers. Hopefully we come away with 3 points but if not hey ho!

That's the fact these days imo.

Just now, USABlue said:

First game after the break so don't fancy us for this one.  1-0  t'latics.

Got to win this if we've a hope in hell of getting promoted.

We should win with a swagger but I'm with you USAB and yet to be convinced.

1 minute ago, blueboy3333 said:

http://www.owtb.co.uk/topic/50131-blackburn/

"Blackburn ain't no Sheff United/Leeds/Sheff Weds/Southampton/Bolton who were big sides in our league i fully expect us to turn them over if we carry on with our current form and the weeks break isnt an hindrance"

Bolton FFS:lol:

Hope we stuff 'em.

I read that too and smiled (and grimaced).

I think we're a much bigger side than all of 'em in 'their league'!

I hope we stuff 'em too!

8 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Without consulting the guy's list - players I remember playing for both teams. Ken Knighton. Alan Hunter, Maurice Whittle, Reg Blore, Jim Fryatt, Jiim Beardall.

Knighton and Hunter in particular were two top players. How I wish we had them playing for us on Saturday.

Without consulting Wikipedia or Google; just off the top of mee 'ead, didn't Paul Warhurst play for Oldham as well? If so he was by far the best of the bunch.

2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

http://www.owtb.co.uk/topic/50131-blackburn/

"Blackburn ain't no Sheff United/Leeds/Sheff Weds/Southampton/Bolton who were big sides in our league i fully expect us to turn them over if we carry on with our current form and the weeks break isnt an hindrance"

Bolton FFS:lol:

Hope we stuff 'em.

Id blow that up and put it on the dressing room wall.

Im going tomorrow but have had the overall optimism for the season's prospects surgically removed by the revelations that serial non-performers Conway and Bennett run the dressing room and the exciting Chapman has virtually no chance of a start under TM.

Will we put in a shift tomorrow or will it be a Southend/Doncaster/Wimbledon/ Bury type scenario? Who knows? Place your bets.........

Rev, what's your issue with Bennett?

Before this season he certainly didn't pull up any trees, but he's been one of our top performers this season, maybe League 1s his level, but he's well worth his place in the team currently.

Conway, agree he looks a busted flush.

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Rev, what's your issue with Bennett?

Before this season he certainly didn't pull up any trees, but he's been one of our top performers this season, maybe League 1s his level, but he's well worth his place in the team currently.

Conway, agree he looks a busted flush.

He's a Lambert man!

Archived