BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Oldham away

JBiz

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Its the manner of these performances we are pulling out far to regularly. 

We never comfortably win a game. Yet we limply lose to teams deep in the bottom half,both home and away. 

It's always the players fault then,yet he dropped Dack for Conway who had been out injured. Baffling stuff 

He is close to the sack for me. I hate saying that 

You say we're never comfortable winning games, I disagree we've hammered a few already this season, but to just be winning games at all is fantastic after what we've witnessed over the past 8yrs.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes,obviously,no-one is saying they shouldn't, but should Mowbray not take some responsibility instead of blaming the players every time we lose?

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15596936._Ultimately_we_got_what_we_deserved____Tony_Mowbray_reacts_to_Rovers__defeat_at_Oldham_Athletic/?ref=mac

"I thought the defence got bullied a little bit, their strikers gave us problems and we didn’t give them any".

"We could have played until next week and not scored a goal, the creativity was really poor and the movement of the players at the top end of the pitch was really poor"

“It wasn’t a performance where I come away thinking it was terrible, I just didn’t think we were creative enough in the final third"

It's certainly never his fault, although he's the one that prepares them all week and presumably works on things like attacking movement. Having watched half the games this season I see no evidence that they do much work at all on attacking movement.

4 minutes ago, Gav said:

You say we're never comfortable winning games, I disagree we've hammered a few already this season, but to just be winning games at all is fantastic after what we've witnessed over the past 8yrs.

When your food is cold and has a hair in at a resteraunt do you just say thank you and leave a tip why the resteraunt expects you to go back and keep paying for the garbage served up or do you demand for better food .

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

you didn't say that in the first post. 

Mowbray is responsibility for the tactics but if the players don't play to those tactics or played to their ability on the pitch surely that the players fault?

Chaddy, that was exactly what I said. I said its Mowbrays team,players,motivation of them and training methods. And then I asked where is the personal responsibility from Mowbray. So not really sure how you are confused,but anyway. 

Just now, Gav said:

We have been bad a lot more than good so far this season. I would say we played well in the second half against MK Dons and first half against Rotherham. We were decent against  Bradford. The rest, aside for short spells we haven't aged well at all. I could stomach that if we were winning but four defeats in eleven have massively dented our automatic promotion chances.

3 minutes ago, Gav said:

Who have we hammered? We bet Rotherham comfortably ,but still just 2-0. MK dons,4-1 ,but we didn't actually score our 3rd until the 80th minute . 

while recovering from a knee injury in the eighties i spent some time with Tony parks and Andy Burgin, and one thing i always remember Tony parks saying to me is you can only afford to lose 7 games to have any chance of promotion... I really hope that TM gets the players actually playing as a team  , minus Elliot ward 

Match report.

First things first, Tony worried me today. I still wouldn't describe Mr Mowbray as "thick", he's the most passionate and articulate manager we've had for several years but today he got things absolutely wrong.

Firstly, why we think we can set up a 4 man midfield with Whittingham is beyond me. I rate Peter, but his work needs to be in the final third, not our own half. His backing off and basically "Keith Andrews esq" pointing helped nobody but the Oldham team push forward.

Secondly, I felt his changes made sense but ultimately resulted in the outcome. Whilst I can understand our fans and probably the managers frustration at 0-0 vs Oldham, taking off our only actual tackling midfielder was a risk that didn't pay off. Yes, Richie had a booking but still, I can't fathom why Peter stayed on the pitch. What the hell is wrong with Evans? The common sense 442 in our squad involves him.

As for individuals, too many of our cherubs seem expectant of the victory before setting foot on the pitch. Another half-time half-assed warmup suggests that there is a problem with organisation, and if Mr Mowbray, for his eloquence in talking about football, cannot put across the necessity to actually warm up, substitutes may as well be ignored.

Notable mentions for poor performance involve the standard Ward and Whittingham, but also both fullbacks, Samuel, Antonsson, Bennett and Conway. We've got to get more out of these hardworking players, and whilst Oldhams excellent organisation will be ignored, I and we expect more. 

The subs flattered to deceive, Graham looks about 3 months short of fitness, Chapman could've easily been sent off for jumping in and Dack was the only one I can legitimately give some credit to.

In terms of the result, it's hard to argue the outcome but if Whittingham scores instead of hitting the bar, Bennett hits an open net and Samuel gets more on his header - it's another three points. Overall though, I think that we deserved to lose, because we continued to give the ball away for long periods.

In summary, not happy about what I've seen today. I'm not giving individual ratings because it's pointless, but this set of lads need to wake up and their boss needs to start thinking a little bit more. I felt an arrogance today, and hopefully the silver lining is in teaching TM a lesson about assumption.

Man of the match was Jack Byrne. Why on earth we didn't sign this lad on a permanent or use him last season is beyond me. He was absolutely everywhere, made our midfield look half assed, and whilst I felt Smallwood did well - he showed a far more attacking mindset that Richie just doesn't possess. 

Hard to take really. Plymouth and Portsmouth are now win or bust scenarios. Whilst I'd still wince at the thought of manager number 8 in 6 years, its getting harder to have faith in a manager who set us up to fail today! 

Just now, Gav said:

We're 3 points off the playoffs chaps, it's early days. 

Lose 5 on the bounce and then let's talk managerial changes, but winning a few games is progress in my book.

Gav it's the manner of our performances all season that's the concern. We've stumbled to wins more down to the opposition rather than anything else.

Just now, Gav said:

We're 3 points off the playoffs chaps, it's early days. 

Lose 5 on the bounce and then let's talk managerial changes, but winning a few games is progress in my book.

Man,it ain't going to just click into place at this stage. Absolutely no signs that it will. We are going to flute around like this all season with false dawns and weak defeats. Probably make the play offs,but we all know how that could end. 

Man,it ain't going to just click into place at this stage. Absolutely no signs that it will. We are going to flute around like this all season with false dawns and weak defeats. Probably make the play offs,but we all know how that could end. 

Change the probably to possibly 

13 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mowbray is responsibility for the tactics but if the players don't play to those tactics or played to their ability on the pitch surely that the players fault?

Not if the tactics are wrong. We are in league 1. 442 and get stuck in otherwise we get bullied off the ball as we did today.

He has to go now IMO. He's been given the chance but he's not the man sadly.

Just now, Cherry Blue said:

Not if the tactics are wrong. We are in league 1. 442 and get stuck in otherwise we get bullied off the ball as we did today.

If promotion is the aim , he has to go !

Never really know at Rovers though !

Just now, Cherry Blue said:

I still think it's way to early to be suggesting a new manager. If we had a cohesive and forward thinking board, perhaps I'd be more enticed into thinking like such - but TM is one of the only people I actually think cares, so unless it gets to the point that promotion is impossible - id probably see more sense in sticking. 

Just now, darrenrover said:

Gav it's the manner of our performances all season that's the concern. We've stumbled to wins more down to the opposition rather than anything else.

Yes you're right of course and I've not seen much live, so I'm not in the best position to judge.

But I see lots of new players, a new league, yet small improvements and a great league position, despite perceived poor performances.

We can only get better surely? 

I cannot gamble on a new manager when the existing board/owners saw Coyle as ‘the outstanding candidate’  

If it was Williams and Finn making the decision I would be pushing for Mowbray to go. 

13 minutes ago, den9112 said:

while recovering from a knee injury in the eighties i spent some time with Tony parks and Andy Burgin, and one thing i always remember Tony parks saying to me is you can only afford to lose 7 games to have any chance of promotion... I really hope that TM gets the players actually playing as a team  , minus Elliot ward 

Elliot Ward reminds me of the kid in junior football who turns up for training every week, can't play football to save his life but gets a run out when the team's 9-0 up at half time.

He makes Miles Anderson look like Franz Beckenbauer.

Just now, Gav said:

Yes you're right of course and I've not seen much live, so I'm not in the best position to judge.

But I see lots of new players, a new league, yet small improvements and a great league position, despite perceived poor performances.

We can only get better surely? 

It's to be hoped so.

Just now, Biz said:

I still think it's way to early to be suggesting a new manager. If we had a cohesive and forward thinking board, perhaps I'd be more enticed into thinking like such - but TM is one of the only people I actually think cares, so unless it gets to the point that promotion is impossible - id probably see more sense in sticking. 

I'd get Johnno involved with the coaching and organising of the team. The half time warm up was a complete joke, I've seen pub teams be more organised and methodical in their work. For all they did they may as well have not bothered.

For the people who didn't go the second half was a litany of miss placed passes by our lot. If Oldham had have had a cutting edge the score could easily been 4 -0. Don't let the 1-0 last minute score fool you. We were nowhere in the second half apart from the Whittingham shot from 20 yards that hit the top of the Oldham bar and flew over.

4 minutes ago, Cherry Blue said:

Well I would stick with Mowbray as manager for now. we have to agree to disagree on it

didn't we play 4-4-2 today? the line up suggest 4-4-2 when I seen it at 2pm

1 minute ago, Biz said:

a lack of a proper footballing people on the board is a huge problem. 

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The half time warm up was a complete joke, I've seen pub teams be more organised and methodical in their work. For all they did they may as well have not bothered.

Where they flicking each other ears again and booting the ball at each other? I can honestly say I've never seen anything like that in all the years I've watched pro football. It says a lot about the manager IMO.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Where they flicking each other ears again and booting the ball at each other? I can honestly say I've never seen anything like that in all the years I've watched pro football. It says a lot about the manager IMO.

First time I've really noticed how poor it is today. I'm not expecting military drills, but a circle jerk and pisstake on 10k a week makes my blood boil, to be honest. 

Archived