BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Oldham away

JBiz

17 minutes ago, Biz said:

Match report.

First things first, Tony worried me today. I still wouldn't describe Mr Mowbray as "thick", he's the most passionate and articulate manager we've had for several years but today he got things absolutely wrong.

Firstly, why we think we can set up a 4 man midfield with Whittingham is beyond me. I rate Peter, but his work needs to be in the final third, not our own half. His backing off and basically "Keith Andrews esq" pointing helped nobody but the Oldham team push forward.

Secondly, I felt his changes made sense but ultimately resulted in the outcome. Whilst I can understand our fans and probably the managers frustration at 0-0 vs Oldham, taking off our only actual tackling midfielder was a risk that didn't pay off. Yes, Richie had a booking but still, I can't fathom why Peter stayed on the pitch. What the hell is wrong with Evans? The common sense 442 in our squad involves him.

As for individuals, too many of our cherubs seem expectant of the victory before setting foot on the pitch. Another half-time half-assed warmup suggests that there is a problem with organisation, and if Mr Mowbray, for his eloquence in talking about football, cannot put across the necessity to actually warm up, substitutes may as well be ignored.

Notable mentions for poor performance involve the standard Ward and Whittingham, but also both fullbacks, Samuel, Antonsson, Bennett and Conway. We've got to get more out of these hardworking players, and whilst Oldhams excellent organisation will be ignored, I and we expect more. 

The subs flattered to deceive, Graham looks about 3 months short of fitness, Chapman could've easily been sent off for jumping in and Dack was the only one I can legitimately give some credit to.

In terms of the result, it's hard to argue the outcome but if Whittingham scores instead of hitting the bar, Bennett hits an open net and Samuel gets more on his header - it's another three points. Overall though, I think that we deserved to lose, because we continued to give the ball away for long periods.

In summary, not happy about what I've seen today. I'm not giving individual ratings because it's pointless, but this set of lads need to wake up and their boss needs to start thinking a little bit more. I felt an arrogance today, and hopefully the silver lining is in teaching TM a lesson about assumption.

Man of the match was Jack Byrne. Why on earth we didn't sign this lad on a permanent or use him last season is beyond me. He was absolutely everywhere, made our midfield look half assed, and whilst I felt Smallwood did well - he showed a far more attacking mindset that Richie just doesn't possess. 

Hard to take really. Plymouth and Portsmouth are now win or bust scenarios. Whilst I'd still wince at the thought of manager number 8 in 6 years, its getting harder to have faith in a manager who set us up to fail today! 

Agree with this  however I thinks byrnes man of the match performance was aided and abetted by our teams inability to function as a unit. Whittingham can not stand there and not tackle. It’s not an option. The spine of our team was poor and as you say our expectation of victory without effort was evident.

hypocritically we should be able to beat Oldham and I apologise to oldham for my arrogance

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well I would stick with Mowbray as manager for now. we have to agree to disagree on it

didn't we play 4-4-2 today? the line up suggest 4-4-2 when I seen it at 2pm

a lack of a proper footballing people on the board is a huge problem. 

Of course it was 4-4-2, we played 4-2-3-1 in the last 2 wins so it needed a change.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Well I would stick with Mowbray as manager for now. we have to agree to disagree on it

didn't we play 4-4-2 today? the line up suggest 4-4-2 when I seen it at 2pm

a lack of a proper footballing people on the board is a huge problem. 

Well in theory it was 4-4-2 but in effect it was 4-2-2-2.. A flat back 4 with Smallwood and Whittingham in front of them , Conway and Bennett further forward and wider with Antonnson and Samuel up front. It never looked like working and it left a huge hole in centre midfield that Byrne ran the show from.

33 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Where they flicking each other ears again and booting the ball at each other? I can honestly say I've never seen anything like that in all the years I've watched pro football. It says a lot about the manager IMO.

They were doing piggy backs at one stage. Dack and Gladwin were the main cast with a notable mention for Harper.

12 points off automatic promotion.  We are stuttering through games. Thinking our only hope this year is playoffs. Might take a couple of years for us to get up to pace to get promotion. Am not happy as I backed Rovers for promotion but am thinking my only chance now is the playoffs. Disappointing to be down to one chance of promotion at this early stage of the season. 

19 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Well in theory it was 4-4-2 but in effect it was 4-2-2-2.. A flat back 4 with Smallwood and Whittingham in front of them , Conway and Bennett further forward and wider with Antonnson and Samuel up front. It never looked like working and it left a huge hole in centre midfield that Byrne ran the show from.

Somethings missing is organisation commitment it can’t be talent? But we are poor in apoor league. I’ve watched dale a lot in this division and I’m positive Hill would make a far better fist of this than Mowbray with what’s at his disposal 

13 minutes ago, arbitro said:

They were doing piggy backs at one stage. Dack and Gladwin were the main cast with a notable mention for Harper.

That's inexcusable. 

The club is still rotten then. So much for Mogga., "Mr Integrity". 

Just another mush at the trough. 

2 hours ago, Crimpshrine said:

I don't think it matters if we have Mowbray or Mourinho the problems are far deeper than that.

There is no structure to the club. We have a squad of players and a manager -  that's it. The manager is expected to run all aspects of the club not just the team on the pitch.

He needs a support infra-structure behind him. Rovers are being run like a Sunday morning team. The players probably turn up, play and go home again without any thought for the fact that they are representing a famous footballing institution.  Repercussions for a bad defeat ? None.

In terms of structure, organisation and ambition we are behind the likes of Fleetwood and AFC Fylde these days.  

Until the Club is sorted out with a board and people with Rovers interest at heart I don't think it matters who the manager is. You can't run a professional football club in this way and expect to succeed. 

Post of the season

1 hour ago, Gav said:

We're 3 points off the playoffs chaps, it's early days. 

Lose 5 on the bounce and then let's talk managerial changes, but winning a few games is progress in my book.

You ought to watch them more often, Gav. I know it's difficult from where you live.

1 hour ago, Gav said:

We can only get better surely? 

We are getting worse. That is what is so disturbing.

26 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Most other teams have coaches putting them through their paces. We just let them p*ss around. Embarrassing.

Spot on.

Have watched Venus and Lowe closely on match days.  Think they are truly cringeworthy.  Little wonder we seem a shambles.

I think Damien Johnson is head and shoulders above anyone on the management / coaching side at Ewood.

26 minutes ago, bazza said:

Post of the season

You ought to watch them more often, Gav. I know it's difficult from where you live.

We are getting worse. That is what is so disturbing.

Its a fare comment bazza, no problem with that :tu:

But I'd wager you'll not find another set of supporters in the country looking for a managerial sacking when 3 points of the playoffs.

Its a unique position and you have to ask yourself why?

I think its because posters on this site think we should be romping this league, whilst ignoring the last 8yrs when we've struggled to put 3 wins a row together.

TM needs time, we're not playing football manager, he's doing a decent job.

1 minute ago, Gav said:

I was all for him but as time goes by, this job he's doing is looking less and less decent.

I might go so far as to say he may have lost the dressing room. He needs to stamp his authority.

I'm not holding my breath. 

6 minutes ago, Gav said:

But I'd wager you'll not find another set of supporters in the country looking for a managerial sacking when 3 points of the playoffs.

I think its because posters on this site think we should be romping this league, whilst ignoring the last 8yrs when we've struggled to put 3 wins a row together.

Gav he oversaw our relegation he's got us 10th in league one... Time I doubt Time is on our side promotion is a must 

But only 3 points of the playoffs Ath?

Like I said fare play to you both, you go more than i do, so respect your opinion, but still think its bonkers...

I've a meeting in Lancs on Tues, got the lads looking for a free ticket as I'm loathed to put money in those rats pockets, maybe I'll be in your camp after i see them at home in the flesh.

24 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Spot on.

Have watched Venus and Lowe closely on match days.  Think they are truly cringeworthy.  Little wonder we seem a shambles.

I think Damien Johnson is head and shoulders above anyone on the management / coaching side at Ewood.

Don't ask Coventry fans what they think of Venus. Seems every manager these days has to have a useless sidekick who happens to be a pal.

Its been mentioned before but just what can Lowe bring to the table ? Let alone how or why he's where he is but I doubt very much he's Mowbrays man. 

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'll stick my neck out now - unless something changes you can forget promotion this season. Watching that today who would you back us to beat ?

Bradford, Scunny, Rochdale, Gills?

I'll wager we beat Plymouth next week, inconsistency is what you get in this league, especially when you bring in half a team only 10wks ago!

You should know better TS with respect

14 minutes ago, Gav said:

The thing is though Gav that he is the one saying he should lose his job if we don't go up automatically. That's more than 3 points adrift and before we discuss further stuff such as the way we're 'playing'.

Just now, Gav said:

Bradford, Scunny, Rochdale, Gills?

Fair enough but in all those four games how many did we really play well in ? I was at Rochdale and we had a good second half.

The results and league position are masking the fact the we're playing poorly for large parts of even the games we're winning.

Take it from me today was a shambles - think of the worst you've ever seen us play and today was it.

This is after a large chunk of the season.

I've seen promotion teams at Rovers and this lot looks nothing like one.

8 minutes ago, LDRover said:

The thing is though Gav that he is the one saying he should lose his job if we don't go up automatically. That's more than 3 points adrift and before we discuss further stuff such as the way we're 'playing'.

If we don't go up then lets sack him LD, that'll show em..

This obsession with getting rid of managers? when we need some sort of stability in the club is so short sighted for me.

If they're sh1te like that w@nker Coyle get rid, but TM is head and shoulders above that knob and posters are calling for his head?

We have the players there to do well. We need them to show the same commitment that the away fans have been showing and we'll be fine. Personally, I'd play 4-4-1-1, with Dack in behind Samuel and put an actual left winger on instead of Conway or Antonsson. I know he had a bad game today, but stick Chapman on from the start and see what he can do. He can't be any worse than whats been shown so far.

Second, I would keep Williams and Ward as far from the starting line up as possible. Every time they were involved today it was to either give it away or miss the ball. They put the whole team under pressure and don't give me any confidence at all. So what do the rest of the team think when the ball comes near them? Raya must @#/? bricks every time one of those 2 are the last man!

Thirdly, I would use Whittingham solely at home when we need to break down teams that are parking the bus. Away or at home to teams that come to play, I would put Smallwood with Tomlinson and let them get in the opposition's faces and try to dominate midfield.

Lastly, Mowbray needs to get on the training pitch and run those attacking players through movement drills until their feet bleed. The number of times today that moves broke down because of lack of movement was unreal. And it's been that way for a good couple of seasons. Get that bit right and we'll storm this league with the players we have!

Archived