BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Oldham away

JBiz

1 hour ago, Biz said:

Sorry but this just isn't true imo, we've controlled some games and looked good and bad in equal measures.

In every game this season we have at some stage allowed the opposition to dominate the ball and us. We have just dropped deeper and deeper and invited pressure. Having seen every game I would say the first half against Rotherham ans second half against MK Dons were the only time we controlled play and were dominant. 

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, arbitro said:

In every game this season we have at some stage allowed the opposition to dominate the ball and us. We have just dropped deeper and deeper and invited pressure. Having seen every game I would say the first half against Rotherham ans second half against MK Dons were the only time we controlled play and were dominant. 

2nd half against MK Dons we were under the cosh and on the verge of losing the lead until he threw Chapman on and he made two quick goals. Rotherham was the only really good 45 minutes we've had at home this season. 2nd half we nearly threw that away too. Same with Gillingham. A bad result either Tuesday and Saturday  and I think the crowd could turn on Mowbray. It's hard to explain just how dull and lifeless we are to people who don't go.

54 minutes ago, Gav said:

We'll never get more until we get rid of the 3 stooges running the club, we're currently structured to fail and continue to fail we will Stuart until they leave.

Not aimed at you but we have posters who believe we have a divine right to romp this league, because we're Blackburn Rovers and have spent a small amount of cash, whilst ignoring the last 8yrs of decline, bad decisions and damn right skullduggery.

We are 3 points of the playoffs and only 8 weeks into the season, yesterday sounded awful but the knee jerking is way over the top, typical Brfcs.

No divine right, Gav, but I personally expect this team/squad to be 3 points off the top two, with two games in hand, not 10th and instead expecting to watch some very poor football indeed. We just don’t seem to have any real plan and look to chip away at 0-0 just long enough to bring Chapman on ‘against tired legs’.

We deserve better.

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Progress? We've won a few as we're in league one FFS.

We won 12 games last season, we've already won 6 from 11 this, thats progress in terms of results and thats all that counts isn't it?

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Gav, we are in Division 3!! Regardless of the circumstances, at what point should we expect more? At what point will enough be enough?

We have fans bickering over the odd win or loss here and there as a point scoring exercise but the wider picture is one of continuing decline. We cannot afford to become a mid table League One side - or worse - for any length of time. At this stage, it’s difficult to say that Venkys will relegate or even promote us because the bills are still being paid and we have some decent players at this level. But the playing decisions by the manager make a massive difference. If his hands are tied by some contractual ‘issues’ (such as the rumoured Wharton one) then Mowbray needs to say something - at the same time as handing in his resignation. Our start to the season has been poor and despite the potential, I’ve no confidence in Mowbray winning out two games in hand, even WITH Mulgrew playing.

Mowbray was asked the question about contracts at the meeting and said that there were no such issues in terms of team selection.  I suspect Wharton's was the last contract with appearances linked to it and, of course, he has signed a different contract now.  I think that Mowbray is, by nature, a rather conservative manager whose philosophy isn't too dissimilar to Souness.  Souness always talked about winning the physical battle to be able to play your football over the last third of the game.  I think this is something Mowbray does - tries to make sure the team are in the game and don't lose early goals.  Sadly, the players don't seem capable of winning the physical battle and in truth Oldham deserved to have won by a greater margin yesterday.  Yesterday, I felt we missed Evans in midfield and Bennett, who has been excellent this season, had a poorer game by his standards, which meant we were left with only Smallwood with any sort of presence in midfield.  The back four looked awful with neither full-back looking good enough, Ward is simply woeful and Mulgrew, for all his excellent reading of the game, simply can't produce the tackles required at centre-back.  The manager has been given money to spend - more than most at this level - so needs to sort it out pretty quickly.  As we saw yesterday, nobody is going to allow us to walk over them and every point is going to have to be battled for.  Sadly, at the moment, we have too many players who don't seem interested in playing that sort of football.  When I compare the squad we have at the moment with the players who got us out of this League on two previous occasions I'm afraid the present crop are sadly lacking.

14 minutes ago, Stuart said:

No divine right, Gav, but I personally expect this team/squad to be 3 points off the top two, with two games in hand, not 10th and instead expecting to watch some very poor football indeed. We just don’t seem to have any real plan and look to chip away at 0-0 just long enough to bring Chapman on ‘against tired legs’.

We deserve better.

You see more games than me Stuart so I respect your opinion on the poor football, I thought we played ok at Shrewsbury, TM said it was our worst performance of the season!

Just on Shrewbury, I drove into the town listening to the local radio, it was full of 'Premeirship champions' 'Alan Shearer' 'Kenny' 'millions of pound' etc etc I was shocked at the level of anticipation built up as we rolled into town and every game around the country is going to be like that, its a culture shock I'm sure for TM and his patchwork side, that shouldn't be underestimated in the final equation and the reason I think we'll need more than one season to get out of this league.

Where I do take exception above is your assertion that we should be top 2? Why? the clubs absolutely rotten, no structure, a losing mentality runs through the empty Ewood corridors because anyone left doesn't know any different, 8yrs of continued decline and hurt.

This doesn't get fixed overnight, if it ever gets fixed at all.

14 hours ago, sambo said:

If you saw the lack of effort you'd think otherwise. Wish i had your attitude as then I'd give up and never watch again. Sadly, I still care and won't accept poor performances or blame the owners on a lack of effort or leadership. Venkys out but doesnt excuse what we saw today 

VENKYS are the alpha and omega of all the clubs problems.

The management culture inside the club is clearly one that is not set up to succeed in any way, this is all down to the owners actions/inactions.

Pointless aiming ire at players, managers, officials, other fans etc. The only way Rovers can move forward is with new ownership.

As I've said 100 times before, if you think things are bad now,, refer to Bacjhman-Turner Overdrive.

(This is nothing against you Sambo one of the better posters on here)

2 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

I think that Mowbray is, by nature, a rather conservative manager whose philosophy isn't too dissimilar to Souness.  Souness always talked about winning the physical battle to be able to play your football over the last third of the game

He's certainly conservative but if you look at the players he has bought they are certainly not players who are going to win the 'physical battle'. I don't think the comparison with Souness stacks up in that regard. Souness wanted to turn Dunn into Roy Keane.  Mowbray thought Whittingham could stroll around League 1 spraying passes like Pirlo. Mowbray is an idealist who thinks he can pass the ball around, retain possession and 'let our quality' come through. Physical battles are the last thing he plans for. Look at the players he's bought, they are all nice footballers who can pass but bar Smallwood don't have a tackle in them.

1 hour ago, Biz said:

Sums it up well, lack of movement upfront and a lack of protection of back four. Laments losing Evans and Downing! 

Overall, seems very disconsolate to me.

We were playing a poor,bottom of the table side...really doesn't fill you with confidence does it!

Tuesday is a massive game now for all involved.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

'Prophet of doom BRFCS' included in a piece that rips into the performance and the state of the boardroom. Irony at it's best. :) 

He is right blueboy3333, the reaction to the defeat is typical on here these days, no objective views, just elation when we win and doom when we lose, we need some middle ground or the debates already over.

Did you get yourself in the home end yesterday? or dodge that bullet?

45 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

My god it's amazing how bad you can see Ward and Caddis are in a 1.06 minute clip. 

Bennett greedy and wasteful. 

They should have scored at least 3. 

How is this acceptable?

Did anyone see Dunns tweet? Saying the usual suspects are coming out of the woodwork again and then congratulating the Oldham manager on the win. Baffling stuff. 

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

'Prophet of doom BRFCS' included in a piece that rips into the performance and the state of the boardroom. Irony at it's best. :) 

exactly, an article that rightly gets stuck into them for yesterday.  The difference being, in general my blogs are balanced and when praise is due - given (read some of the other blog entries and see for yourself).  That can't often be said for here were pretty much every thread turns into playground name calling, personal insults and/or Venkys bashing. Sticking to the thread seems impossible for this place... but I guess that is the nature and difference between a messageboard (which IS a prophet of doom) and a personal blog ;)

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Did anyone see Dunns tweet? Saying the usual suspects are coming out of the woodwork again and then congratulating the Oldham manager on the win. Baffling stuff. 

I think was referring to Oldham fans giving him a bit of grief...

10 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Bit childish that.. Talking about irony what about this debt blueboy3333 did you enjoy the game yesterday 

Just now, Gav said:

He is right blueboy3333, the reaction to the defeat is typical on here these days, no objective views, just elation when we win and doom when we lose, we need some middle ground or the debates already over.

Did you get yourself in the home end yesterday? or dodge that bullet?

I dodged that bullet.

If you're both expecting objective chin-stroking on a MB after another abject performance then you will always be disappointed. You get the same reactions on twitter and elsewhere. At any rate, Andy just says the same as everyone else on here in his blog. If you read between the lines he's even acknowledging the possibility that Mowbray could be fired..same as some on here: 'Defeat on Tuesday is unthinkable and would only hasten the calls for a change at the top'. 

Like I said, irony at it's best.

With respect, as you no longer attend games in any great number maybe you are a bit detached from what is actually going on with the team. Trust me, it isn't good to watch and I very much doubt Shrewsbury was the worst performance of the season. Be careful what a manager trying to big himself and his team up is telling you ;)

18 minutes ago, AndyNeil said:

exactly, an article that rightly gets stuck into them for yesterday.  The difference being, in general my blogs are balanced and when praise is due - given (read some of the other blog entries and see for yourself).  That can't often be said for here were pretty much every thread turns into playground name calling, personal insults and/or Venkys bashing. Sticking to the thread seems impossible for this place... but I guess that is the nature and difference between a messageboard (which IS a prophet of doom) and a personal blog ;)

Well no, it's the difference between a board set up for discussion (with differing views) and a stand alone blog. It's the difference between an argument down the pub and being sat in you room pondering the days events on yer todd.

It's a bit of an easy target this place. Like anywhere where people vent you will get opinions you don't agree with. You will also get people who just vent about Venky's at every opportunity. However, there are still quite a few people who are willing to discuss all things Rovers on here and are capable of sticking to the topic. It's a lot better than it used to be in that respect. (As an aside didn't this MB used to get closed down in the Souness days because it went into regular meltdown?)

With respect, there's nothing in your blog that hasn't be said on here, and just as eloquently. Maybe it's just people on here aren't as conceited as to think they can write a  blog with something different to say. Maybe something to consider the next time you're feeling superior;)

35 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

My god it's amazing how bad you can see Ward and Caddis are in a 1.06 minute clip. 

Bennett greedy and wasteful. 

They should have scored at least 3. 

How is this acceptable?

I think the comment about usual suspects was a reference to the Oldham supporters who, clearly he knows well from his time at Boundary Park. 

Archived