SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Oldham away

JBiz

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Tm is nice. I don’t want bloody nice I want a ball burster in. Pearson or hill and lets start afresh this season. Tm hasn’t worked and heading the same way he did at Coventry 

It's no surprise to see Rovers struggling with David Lowe as first team coach. 

Who made this appointment ?

9 hours ago, Gav said:

My mates all still have season tickets, diehard blue and whites so I keep in touch, they're split on TM to be honest, very much like Bowyer when he was here, which is ironic because I'm reading the same arguments used against Bowyer and we all know how that ended up, in the 3rd division!

Its bigger than just a match day for me, its about not being lied to about agents, its about players not being benched due to pay as you play deals maturing and generally being treated like I've got half a brain and despite Cheston and the Indian man of mysterys best efforts to derail that process, I feel TM is trying his best to hold things together and keep things real on the football side and thats refreshing and most welcome.

Yes the ultimate goal is promotion, but its goes deeper than that for me.

Yes, we're having the same arguments now as we we did back then. Only difference----we're another league lower.

The dumbing down process.

Monday lunchtime and only now feeling able to rationally discuss my day out to Oldham and the non performance of Rovers.

A very lacklustre performance which at the end of day falls down to the manager and coaching staff. We are far enough into the season to be able to see some semblance of a coercive unit of a team, other clubs with less resources and similar stability issues from changes in coaching or playing staff in the past 6 to 12 months or less seem to be making a better fist of things. This is the crux of the season for TM, he had his early poor start when we failed to hit the ground running and then a few good performances interspersed with shocks at home to what should be inferior teams, however with games in hand and a run of fixtures Saturday might have been the spring board necessary to kick on and challenge at the top. It still can be with games coming thick and fast however I sincerely hope that TM might have learnt a few things coming out of Saturday's match. If he hasn't and we see repeats of that performance then regrettably there are serious questions he should be facing.

He seems to want to put his trust in his more senior players, rather than give the kids (though under 23s are not kids in my book) a go, possibly some of the more forceful characters in the dressing room? If they've still got it I've not a problem which when added to blooding the talented youngsters (which is what they obviously are looking at their results against opposition from higher leagues) can prove a compelling combination, experience alongside uninhibited keen fresh talent.

I don't enjoy singling players out of a team, we can all have an off day, however I'm sorry to say Elliott Ward and Craig Conway, come on in your time is up. After hearing on the run up that only injury concern was Lenihan, I was disappointed not to see Downing, who from my limited viewing has been a no nonsense battling centre half, make a nuisance of yourself, win the ball or don't let the forward win it and then give it to a better player who can pass. Ward did none of the above, with him losing the battle against the opposing forward, although saying battle implies that he challenged his opponent something I did not witness for the entire match. He's a big lad, but can't jump, he's slow with no pace and can't turn, he was sitting off his opponent, at least give him a kick up the backside so that he might be aware that he's in for a battle. Nothing, I don't think he makes up for some of the things that might be expected of a centre half with organisational or communication skills, these too appear missing from his game. Not acceptable and time to limit his on field time, give Wharton a run of minutes on the pitch alongside Mulgrew. 

Conway - he's made positive contributions in the past to Rovers, so it pains me  even more to single out such a player who has played with his heart on his sleeve for Rovers, however sadly it would appear that at present he is at best out of form, at worst in the twilight of his career. . I've never been a fan of inverted wide players, however what do I know, Ronaldo cutting in from the left has been effective. I'd prefer a wide player to be able to go outside of his full back and get a cross in, or at least give the threat of that option, rather than cut inside hold the ball up and pass to forward coming short or back inside to midfield or back to defense. On Saturday I thought at times he had acres of space down our left to attack many times unchallenged until advancing to the full back who had an easy job knowing that he's not going past down the wing. Makes it difficult for our forwards too, who realise that the ball is not going to whipped into the 6 yard/penalty spot area.  People have said that his legs have gone, which implies he's no longer got that burst of speed to get past his man, which quite possibly is so. However I think it's more serious than this, in that the first yard is typically in a good player's head, I lost count of the times when he was on the wrong side of his man, when either we had the ball and were looking for options, or we didn't have the ball and we wanted him to defend. If TM persists with Craig then in my opinion he's going to be let down, Chapman or whomever might be a better option.

As I said I don't enjoy singling players out (being a founder member of the Super Atko fan club) especially on a team performance when there was little positives. I could mention Antonnson was unlucky to be taken off ahead of Samuel who in my view was not at the races, I thought that Graham worked hard when he came on, for sure their defenders knew that they were being challenged when Graham appeared. I could add that I'm unconvinced with Caddis, I do like Bennett's attitude and think he might be a better fit in the middle or at least narrower with a marauding full back making overlaps. Plus I could say that I thought Whittingham did ok, put his foot on the ball and tried to look to make those passes, him and Antonnson were involved in possibly heated debates about where he wanted the ball which Whittingham seemed inclined later to facilitate. I quite liked Dack's attitude also when he came on and perhaps should be awarded more playing time. 

As for opposition a special mention to a couple of Oldham  players, firstly Byrne, did he ever play like this for us and in that role? But I was more impressed with Fane, in the mold of Toure or Vieira or even our very own N'Zonzi, yes perhaps over the top praise, especially looking at what he was up against, but he'd be one I'd have a watched list. Their fans seemed to enjoy their day and will remember and talk fondly of that match at the end of their season.

Boz - agreed on most of that. I was about to post similar having had 48 hours to recover. 

I've got to say up front this was my first game of the season (with my 16 year old son) and I am still avoiding home games post Venkys, so my views are based on this one game and defer to the regulars and happy to be shot down.

- why dont we press the game

- why doesnt Dack start or get more game time - he looks very good for this level

- why didnt we get the ball to Conway in the 2nd half and tempt their FB into a sending off

- Have we got no better footballer than Ward

- Why can Raya not kick

- Mulgrew is class at this level, thank goodness for him

- Smallwood shows enough spirit for half a team, he is a bit slow but DOES tackle

- Why doesnt Whittingham run these games with his experience

- the refs are a league worse at his level

- we should be winning games like these, easily

- I have never booed a Rovers team off the pitch and didnt understand the logic. I genuinely think they gave it their best but not sure that enough. 

- Sorry to admit that DESPITE the result we did enjoy our day out and will make afew more trips this season

- Liked the retro away kit

Great following - I still think we'll go up, maybe through the playoffs?

The difference between Mowbray and the staff on the sidelines compared with the Oldham coaching staff says all you need to know.

hearing him lament, after the game, how 'we can't play a high-line when 'wardy (sic) is playing' 

time's up for this bunch of over paid t osser s

3penny bit foot - we are very similar, I too only comment on a live match I've attended so please take my comments into consideration as they may be skewed by limited viewing of Rovers, only my second match after Rochdale and for the same reasons after being a season ticket for many years and a Rover's regular since 70s. Hopefully I'll be at Wigan, Blackpool, Fleetwood, Bury and anywhere else if we get some wind in our sails.

I WILL be back at home and purchase a season ticket the day after I see a share transfer from the Rao family. I appreciate that this hurts me far more than them however my principles won't be shaken, they will not get another penny from me, so if that means that they have to fund my £500 shortfall then great I can live with this small consolation, I even had our Xmas party moved from Rovers, indirectly funds their entity. To be clear I'd take National League or even Evostick in any guise that might have Blackburn Rovers in it's name and play football in blue and white, I'd be there supporting. 

Now if the Rao family ever made a public announcement apologising for what has occurred since their names have been on the share documents and admitted how wrong they've got it, then I would have a serious problem as I like to think that I am a forgiving chap, however I doubt that there is any chance of this. Are they learning? Coyle's appointment only last year still stinks for me and I have a good nose for BS, which is why I am happy to maintain my stance.

8 hours ago, philipl said:

Just out of interest, anyone got the betting odds for us to have lost each of the following games:

Southend A

Doncaster H

Wimbledon H

Oldham A

Bury H (Checkatrade) - Mowbray's explanation beggared belief

Oldham were 3/1 on Saturday and I am not ashamed to say, I had them at that price. Plymouth are 11/2 tomorrow night and I would suggest the following:

£10 on Plymouth at that price and £2 on the 0-0 currently 12/1 with Sky. For the braver amongst us add a zero to those stakes. I would hope I lose my £12 which I would have spent on my ticket anyway.

On 15/10/2017 at 11:13, Plastic Head said:

VENKYS are the alpha and omega of all the clubs problems.

The management culture inside the club is clearly one that is not set up to succeed in any way, this is all down to the owners actions/inactions.

Pointless aiming ire at players, managers, officials, other fans etc. The only way Rovers can move forward is with new ownership.

As I've said 100 times before, if you think things are bad now,, refer to Bacjhman-Turner Overdrive.

(This is nothing against you Sambo one of the better posters on here)

Agree with all of this and you're right. However, Venky's shouldn't impact the fact that we aren't getting the best of our side and certain players seem content to down tools? Whilst they're responsible for our demise, I think the above lets the players and staff off the hook.

If we can't play a high line with Ward then play someone else there simples. Williams can play cb and their are a few promising youth. So even with a couple of injuries there's no excuses for changing our entire game plan to accommodate an aging poor centre back.

10 hours ago, philipl said:

Just out of interest, anyone got the betting odds for us to have lost each of the following games:

Southend A

Doncaster H

Wimbledon H

Oldham A

Bury H (Checkatrade) - Mowbray's explanation beggared belief

If it was all some big conspiracy on Saturday, someone forgot to tell Raya. Good job the guy didn't blaze it over the bar in the last minute as well. Whittingham must be some player too if he can crack the bar on demand from 25 yards.

A couple of months ago some guy on some betting forum was accusing a darts player of throwing a game because he missed five darts for the match. Each one was right on the wire. If the guy was accurate enough to deliberately be able to put five darts touching the wire without actually going in the double he must be incredible. 

1 hour ago, Blue blood said:

If we can't play a high line with Ward then play someone else there simples. Williams can play cb and their are a few promising youth. So even with a couple of injuries there's no excuses for changing our entire game plan to accommodate an aging poor centre back.

Absolutely, if one defensive injury causes us to need to change our whole tactics, while we have numerous new signings (Gladwin, Hart, Harper) all nowhere near the first team, it suggests Mowbrays recruitment is flawed.

Whartons back from injury now, should use him and keep consistent tactics.

Archived