BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Barry Ferguson

47er

1 hr ago

'I knew it was a mistake within a week': Barry Ferguson on leaving Rangers for Blackburn

Alasdair Mackenzie  @aksmackenzieOnline Sports Editor

From Glasgow Evening Post.

My response---"so did we!" He blames the fans, apparently we didn't boo when we lost!

'kin hell he should have arrived 7 years later he wouldn't have been disappointed if it's boo's he was after, he'd have got some his self !

Come to think of it his transfer and the stink around that really wouldn't have looked out of place under the Kean/SEM/Venky era.

How did the land deal work out in the name of Mrs F I wonder ?

After being declared bankrupt is he bringing a book out? I thought he was institutionalised from his time at Rangers when he came here. It was another in the long line of suspicious dealings between Rovers and Rangers during Souness's tenure.

Either way he made a fortune out of us.

After he left I'm sure he said something like:

'we were playing Bolton, I looked around and thought, "this is supposed to be a derby? It's no Old Firm"  '

Even we don't think it's a derby pal!

The guy was just full of excuses after realising he wasn't up to it, to be expected after spending a decade strollling about against St Mirren and the like.

32 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

'we were playing Bolton, I looked around and thought, "this is supposed to be a derby? It's no Old Firm"  '

The guy was just full of excuses after realising he wasn't up to it, to be expected after spending a decade strollling about against St Mirren and the like.

His stats for Brum had him as the 2nd most successful passer in the premier league, though how many went sideways as he used too do here!? He didn't fit into Hughes side and we gladly off loaded and got Savage in. A move which contributed to a Cardiff millennium semi final against arsenal and a successful relegation battle.

Bazza wasn't half the player when he went back to Rangers even. I'm his pomp prior to Rovers and the dislocated kneecap he was a very good player. 

11 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

His stats for Brum had him as the 2nd most successful passer in the premier league, though how many went sideways as he used too do here!? He didn't fit into Hughes side and we gladly off loaded and got Savage in. A move which contributed to a Cardiff millennium semi final against arsenal and a successful relegation battle.

Bazza wasn't half the player when he went back to Rangers even. I'm his pomp prior to Rovers and the dislocated kneecap he was a very good player. 

I agree. I saw him several times playing for Scotland and he was outstanding. I thought he could be  Souness without the nasty streak. It just never happened. One of a fairly long list of good Scots players who flopped down here. I thought he was just starting to look the part when he broke his knee cap.

Barry Ferguson wasn't a completely useless player for us and certainly not in the ilk of Venkys' signings as the above indicates. Weird that.

His injury definitely hampered his progress. The pace and ferocity of the premier league might have made a difference. He had plenty of European experience prior to joining us but those games were thin and far between. When you can have a bit of a kick about vs Dunfermline at home or something in between you are no doubt fresh for them.

He let himself down in his conduct off the pitch in my opinion. Engineering the move for himself is all well and good but the years that followed has had nothing but rather peevish comments. I'd much rather he just admitted that the pace of the league was too much, his injuries didn't help and he wasn't happy in England/Blackburn. The jibes at the fans are unnecessary and the suggestion he knew after a WEEK has to be a bit of an exaggeration.

52 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Barry Ferguson wasn't a completely useless player for us and certainly not in the ilk of Venkys' signings as the above indicates. Weird that.

His injury definitely hampered his progress. The pace and ferocity of the premier league might have made a difference. He had plenty of European experience prior to joining us but those games were thin and far between. When you can have a bit of a kick about vs Dunfermline at home or something in between you are no doubt fresh for them.

He let himself down in his conduct off the pitch in my opinion. Engineering the move for himself is all well and good but the years that followed has had nothing but rather peevish comments. I'd much rather he just admitted that the pace of the league was too much, his injuries didn't help and he wasn't happy in England/Blackburn. The jibes at the fans are unnecessary and the suggestion he knew after a WEEK has to be a bit of an exaggeration.

We paid 7 million for him. He was a flop. Simple as that

You are a bit slow, aren't you? :D 

42 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Not at all. It was a bad signing, yes. 

It certainly wasn't "dodgy" in the sense of some signings under Venkys  

It turned out to be a mistake but there was no conspiracy with it. 

Agent fees topping the player fees is definitely dodgy. That's what the Venkys gave us. 

In Ferguson we spent a lot of money on a player that won Rangers the title, had arguably been the best player in the best team in Scotland at the time. The fact he didn't perform didn't make it a dodgy signing. 

Fast forward to Venkys and we sign players like Dickson Etuhu, Anthony Stokes et al for big wages on big contracts. That's dodgy. Likewise the aforementioned agent fees are dodgy. 

You seem to use any excuse to try and justify the mistakes made by Venkys. It's odd. There is no justification; mistakes in football happen, however mistakes that are borderline criminal should only happen once and not repeatedly over the best part of a decade. 

Think about it. 

58 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

7.5 million although 4.5 was still owed by the time he went back up there which was cancelled on exchange for Barry to go back. Similar to the Craig Moore deal.

We lost 3 million and spent another 3.5 on Savage

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Not at all. It was a bad signing, yes. 

It certainly wasn't "dodgy" in the sense of some signings under Venkys  

It turned out to be a mistake but there was no conspiracy with it. 

Agent fees topping the player fees is definitely dodgy. That's what the Venkys gave us. 

In Ferguson we spent a lot of money on a player that won Rangers the title, had arguably been the best player in the best team in Scotland at the time. The fact he didn't perform didn't make it a dodgy signing. 

Fast forward to Venkys and we sign players like Dickson Etuhu, Anthony Stokes et al for big wages on big contracts. That's dodgy. Likewise the aforementioned agent fees are dodgy. 

You seem to use any excuse to try and justify the mistakes made by Venkys. It's odd. There is no justification; mistakes in football happen, however mistakes that are borderline criminal should only happen once and not repeatedly over the best part of a decade. 

Think about it. 

You are hyper sensitive about venkys. You look for things that aren't there in my posts. Close to ignore 

6 hours ago, arbitro said:

It was another in the long line of suspicious dealings between Rovers and Rangers during Souness's tenure.

Are you suggesting that one of those "suspicious dealings" was a certain Mr T Kerimoglu? B)

28 minutes ago, bazza said:

Are you suggesting that one of those "suspicious dealings" was a certain Mr T Kerimoglu? B)

There was also suspicion around Amoruso and Berg. Wasn't Souness big pals with Murray who owned Rangers at that time?

7 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Absolute, total flop. Down there with Davies and Grabbi-similar transfer fee too.

Turned up full of promise and I expected him to be a great signing.

Seem to remember him scoring past Southampton(?) (could be wrong on that, we lost 3-2(I think), Craig Short was deemed to have fouled a player when he went up for a header and the ref gave a penalty in a ludicrous decision. I digress) 

Turned out, he wasn’t so great. 

5 hours ago, Hasta said:

Similar to Scott Brown currently. If he moved to England he would be an also-ran in the Premier League.

No way. Ferguson in his Rangers first spell was an all action proper centre midfielder, pass, tackle he had a fair bit in his locker. It disappeared when he went back but he had a brilliant spell with Birmingham.

Scott Brown was and still is pish. 

Archived