BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Barry Ferguson

47er

25 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

No way. Ferguson in his Rangers first spell was an all action proper centre midfielder, pass, tackle he had a fair bit in his locker. It disappeared when he went back but he had a brilliant spell with Birmingham.

Scott Brown was and still is pish. 

As a neutral living in Glasgow for the last 20 odd years and having seen both of 'em play many times I have to say the Barry Ferguson/Scott Brown comparison is actually a fairly valid one Dunnfc.

Incidentally, 'pish'? Was it just a coincidence that Scott Brown reversing his decision to retire from international football coincided with a revival in Scotland's fortunes, albeit to no avail in the end? 

3 hours ago, Dunnfc said:

No way. Ferguson in his Rangers first spell was an all action proper centre midfielder, pass, tackle he had a fair bit in his locker. It disappeared when he went back but he had a brilliant spell with Birmingham.

Scott Brown was and still is pish. 

The guy could play before he came to Rovers, no doubt about that. I've seen him play for Scotland against good quality opposition when he was the best man on the pitch.

What went wrong when he came South I don't know, he was distinctly average for Rovers. 

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The guy could play before he came to Rovers, no doubt about that. I've seen him play for Scotland against good quality opposition when he was the best man on the pitch.

What went wrong when he came South I don't know, he was distinctly average for Rovers. 

Genuinely believe he never wanted to actually come. Back then why would you leave Rangers for Rovers? Bank balance top up most likely? He looked the part pre-injury looked to get up to speed but as we know the knee injury kept him out for nigh on a year, homesickness kicks in and wasn't the player Rangers expected to come back. I still admire his gritty determination though. Zenith UEFA final and his Fa cup with Brum I'm sure eased any doubts. In another day era like now he'd be perfect, I look at Steve Davies at Southampton now and is there another player who's as underrated as him in the premier league? He's tidy, box to box, complete passer and not afraid to get a foot in, like Barry he's a leader look at how many games he's played professionally and for NI.

6 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

As a neutral living in Glasgow for the last 20 odd years and having seen both of 'em play many times I have to say the Barry Ferguson/Scott Brown comparison is actually a fairly valid one Dunnfc.

Incidentally, 'pish'? Was it just a coincidence that Scott Brown reversing his decision to retire from international football coincided with a revival in Scotland's fortunes, albeit to no avail in the end? 

He's a thug who makes the most of his superior stamina and ability to get away with what most get booked for. Not a very technical player which is why he's never had an offer to leave the SPL.

Strachan changed our Euro hopes taking Miller out, Fletcher coming back in form and the defence changing. Tierney at Celtic is a major talent sadly past two internationals have had him at RB instead of Russ Martin arghhh.

On 11/10/2017 at 20:08, Dunnfc said:

Genuinely believe he never wanted to actually come. Back then why would you leave Rangers for Rovers?

To challenge himself in a much better league? Remember we'd just finished 6th, we weren't relegation fodder.

7 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

To challenge himself in a much better league? Remember we'd just finished 6th, we weren't relegation fodder.

Or champs league with Rangers. Whilst we were not cannon fodder and for most our PL career weren't for a Scottish guy to come to Rovers was quite odd I thought anyways.

Coming 1st or 2nd in a 2 team league wasn't exactly challenging though was it? Potentially helping push Rovers from 6th into the Champions League spots would have been a challenge and much more rewarding professionally and financially. He wasn't the top player he thought he was, good, but not a big fish like he was at Rangers.

I was so excited about him signing - was totally convinced he was going to be a massive success. Got his name on the back of my shirt in anticipation of great things.

It just never clicked. I just kept waiting and waiting for the game where I thought "Ferguson's bossed this" and it never really came. I remember one performance against Newcastle at St James' where I thought he was terrific, but that was about it. Keith Andrews probably had the same level of impact, despite having none of the pedigree or hype.

Archived