BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers FC v Plymouth Argyle FC

It's stuff like this that winds people up - “Credit to them (Oldham), but we have to be miles better, I’ve said that to the players and let’s see if we can manage that,” Mowbray said. See if we can manage it? No let's ensure we do it

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

why Graham who done zero all season and looks uninterested, lazy and no pace? 

sorry but players should be able to play in any system but the lack of effort and giving 100% every game has nothing to do with formation. Nothing should stop them that happening. 

Wharton and Mulgrew wont work as 2 left footers at centre backs as we have discussed before. 

on signings? every managers has good and bad signings even King Kenny or Souness or Mark Hughes made bad signings. Plus Mowbray has explained about the lack of scouting structure within the club and he is trying to put this in place. This can take months to sort out and put in place. Don't forgot the lack of scouting structure Mowbray had when he became in charge of it all. What Tommy Johnson has been doing at all this time as chief scout I don't know but questions need to be asked. Hopefully Mowbray with Rigg help can sort the Scouting structure out

Stop defending the undefendable after Saturday he should have gone enough is enough.. Remember you didn't even want him as manager.. Especially after TMs after match comments 

I can see us beating Plymouth as their struggling big time but if they get stuck in from  the off the longer the game goes on they'll fancy their chance of getting something.. We have to go for the jugular from the off to kill them off.. 

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

why Graham who done zero all season and looks uninterested, lazy and no pace? 

sorry but players should be able to play in any system but the lack of effort and giving 100% every game has nothing to do with formation. Nothing should stop them that happening. 

Wharton and Mulgrew wont work as 2 left footers at centre backs as we have discussed before. 

on signings? every managers has good and bad signings even King Kenny or Souness or Mark Hughes made bad signings. Plus Mowbray has explained about the lack of scouting structure within the club and he is trying to put this in place. This can take months to sort out and put in place. Don't forgot the lack of scouting structure Mowbray had when he became in charge of it all. What Tommy Johnson has been doing at all this time as chief scout I don't know but questions need to be asked. Hopefully Mowbray with Rigg help can sort the Scouting structure out

What does Tommy Johnson do at the club?I thought he was supposed to be in scouting/recruitment role or are we paying him for nothing too?

Sorry read your post again seems you are at odds as to what Tommy Johnson does for his wage too

• Backroom

Can we expect the usual in tempered expectations today? Talk of how Plymouth are big and strong and on the back of a great result this weekend?

48 minutes ago, islander200 said:

What does Tommy Johnson do at the club?I thought he was supposed to be in scouting/recruitment role or are we paying him for nothing too?

Sorry read your post again seems you are at odds as to what Tommy Johnson does for his wage too

The point about Johnson is interesting. The majority of Mowbrays signings are players he has known about either playing for his teams or against them. Ergo they wouldn't need scouting. It seems that whilst there have been hours cut to some staff and some redundancies they least productive department has escaped unscathed.

• Backroom

It's concerning how, Rotherham aside, we haven't really dominated any games this season. With our transfer/wage budget in mind we should be setting the standard, instead we're being pulled down to lower levels and aren't up for the type of fight that entails. The players pissing around at half time sums up how seriously some of our players are taking the campaign. We desperately need a L1 version of Souey to fire a rocket up a few backsides, because the Mr Nice Guy approach ain't working.

19 hours ago, Hasta said:

Raya

Caddis      Mulgrew     ABW     Williams

Chapman.     Evans.     Smallwood.     Bennett

Dack

Samuel

As  Chaddy says, get Nuttall on the bench.

Does ABW stand for Another Big Waster ?

• Backroom

The under 23's play tonight, surely after saying there are shirts to be won they will keep the likes of Nuttall in contention for tomorrow rather than play tonight?

16 minutes ago, Tom said:

The under 23's play tonight, surely after saying there are shirts to be won they will keep the likes of Nuttall in contention for tomorrow rather than play tonight?

Mowbray doesn't think any of our lads are ready he prefers to play the experienced players despite how poor they are,they will be playing for the under 23s again tonight

On 10/14/2017 at 20:25, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Chaddy, we started with that midfield four today and they struggled to get over the half way line with the ball.

Correct, but with Ward in the side the team we were so deep it compounded matters which wouldn't be there if Downing were playing. I really believe Ward weakened the team that badly. Ward and Caddis are so immobile, the right channel is totally exposed, so much so that every time we lose the ball we would be playing catch up from then on. Cannot actually believe how badly Ward looked against Oldham.

Until we get Nyambe back fit / buy a RWB who can actually do a job going both ways we will continue to be weak, and as such, a strong & fast CB pairing is essential to at least give us a fighting chance. Amazed we haven't conceded more goals tbh...image what the table would look like for us if we'd have managed to stay up last season.

Based on TM comments I am guessing that once we have Lenihan back I imagine we'll  go into the second of the season like this  5 - 2 - 3 / 3 - 4 - 3  - depending on in/out possession.

I'm struggling to see why we signed Dack as No10 role doesn't suit this system, at all!

RAYA                                                                                                                 RAYA

DOWNING    LENIHAN       MULGREW                                       CADDIS      DOWNING    LENIHAN     MULGREW   WILLIAMS

CADDIS       SMALLWOOD           WHITTINGHAM    WILLIAMS                                      SMALLWOOD           WHITTINGHAM

BENNETT     SAMUEL       ANTONSSON                                                         BENNETT     SAMUEL    ANTONSSON

Selecting Smallwood, Whittingham, Bennett and Conway in the same eleven can still work, with better tactics. 

Regarding Conway however, I do think that bringing him back as a starter for his first competitive football following injury (ignoring Bury as that cup is a joke) was an utterly ridiculous decision, especially as Dack is nearing full match fitness/sharpness due to starting the last couple of league games, and with Harry raring to go from the start (irrespective of whether he is capable). Conway surely should have been third in line for a start simply due to fitness, and with us being away from home whereby fitness is key. An unfit defensive winger/inside forward is not what required from a 4 - 4 - 2 line up.

Very poor from TM - probably his worst selection / tactic to date.

I would go back to 4 - 2 - 3 -1 as below: -

RAYA

CADDIS           DOWNING           MULGREW           WILLIAMS

SMALLWOOD           WHITTINGHAM

BENNETT                  DACK              CHAPMAN

SAMUEL

This selection would be an eleven that haven't yet started a match, due to the inclusion of Harry Chapman.

Reasoning: - 

Formation - provides more flexibility and attacking intent, and also enables Dack to play in No10 role.

Downing  - (hopefully able to play - if not, play a kid, anyone but Ward)

Dack - looking more and more sharp and is far and away our better passer of the ball in the final 1/3

Chapman -  we must try something new. His has the ability to rip teams apart and we need a confidence boost and Harry has this is his locker. Antonsson looked off the pace against Oldham. Conway was terrible, and far from match fitness.

Someone mentioned earlier that we would have to listen to TM saying something along the lines of Plymouth being tough opposition and that they have been playing well, the usual bigging up of opposition - here you are http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/plymouth-argyle-feel-hard-done-634671

Just now, AAK said:

Interesting. I wonder how many changes he will make?

Not very many I'd wager and if he does make any they'll be relatively unadventurous like swapping Antonsson for Graham and recalling Evans for Whittingham if fit.

Evans, Downing and Lenihan injured, therefore that decides my line up;

Raya

Bennett  Mulgrew Wharton Nyambe

Conway Smallwood Whittingham Chapman

Dack

Graham

2 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

I am not bothered what the team is , as long as those selected try !!!

Cos some of them didn't at Oldham ...

1 hour ago, AAK said:

Evans, Downing and Lenihan injured, therefore that decides my line up;

Raya

Bennett  Mulgrew Wharton Nyambe

Conway Smallwood Whittingham Chapman

Dack

Graham

Please don't take this the wrong way AAK but your back 4 consists of a wide midfielder, a cultured but injury prone midfielder and 2 kids neither of which are really proven to any degree.

Kind of sums our plight up.

15 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Samuels not much cop either, either or.

Chaddy I know you are desperate to defend Mowbray but if you think that playing players in constantly changing formations and out of position is something that wont be of detriment to performances then you are deluded. I'm not convinced it is a lack of effort, half of the attacking players are being wasted in unfamiliar positions, and often changed mid game and expected to crack on as if Mowbray is playing Fifa.

And can he do any worse than Ward? No. If we got offered Maldini in his prime would you continue with Ward because hes right footed?

And it has nothing to do with scouting systems or whatever tangent you choose to go off on. The point is not even bad signings, its signing players to address the weaknesses in the squad. We have become reliant on an MK Dons reserve signed minutes before the deadline to steady the ship until Christmas due to only one injury that happened a month before the deadline, leaving us having to totally change our tactics to compensate for his absence. Meanwhile, we have a series of players on the bench or not even in the squad who were totally unnecessary signings. Even if hes not got the knowledge of players in foreign lower leagues, which he talked about and is totally unrealistic in League 1, he can still look for players to fill the voids in the squad, and he failed to do so. Players like Ben Gladwin and Sam Hart, it is not the lack of quality that grates, it is that they were signed, Gladwin in particular for positions we are well covered in, well before the deadline, when we had such a vulnerable weakness of depth at centre back.

Samuel gives you pace, threat in behind the defence and has 5 goals. what has does Graham all season? 

No-one is desperate to defend Mowbray but you enjoy a moan and whinge about him. Suggest you look at Spurs who has played 2 different formations throughout the season and I would majority hasn't affected their performance. even on Saturday whilst playing Bournemouth they played 4-2-3-1 formation in 1st half and second half changed to 3-4-2-1 formation and won the game. so it can work. 

Wasn't Maldini both footed? 

Downing's performances has been very good and we won 3 games and 3 clean sheets. Plus with this signings we had 5 centre backs in Mulgrew, Lenihan, Downing, Wharton and Ward. more than enough tbh 

Mowbray has to rely on himself and Mark Venus for signings whilst god knows what the scouting department has been doing for 3 years as it done nothing of note, would love to know the last player signed due to scouting. on Scouting foreign lower leagues? nothing wrong with the amount on football easily accessible via the Internet and tv. But what has the scouting department been doing recently

unnecessary signings? who and why?

Gladwin is attacking midfielder who can play wide or in the 10 role. We have Bennett, Chapman and Conway who can wide and Antonsson has played wide left and done well there. But No-one apart from Dack can play 10 role. for me, he is back up for Dack. so not well covered at all. Don't forget Conway legs are looking gone aswell. Can Chapman good enough to start games? 

9 hours ago, islander200 said:

Yeah that is correct, I am at odds with what Tommy Johnson has been doing since he was appointed as Chief Scout

8 hours ago, arbitro said:

The point about Johnson is interesting. The majority of Mowbrays signings are players he has known about either playing for his teams or against them. Ergo they wouldn't need scouting. It seems that whilst there have been hours cut to some staff and some redundancies they least productive department has escaped unscathed.

Exactly, I very unsure what the scouting department has been doing for years

2 hours ago, BenRTID said:

I don't understand this. So do 2 right footers at centre back not work either? 

Can you name me a 2 left footed centre back partnership then? 

• Backroom

Nuttall starts tonight so won't feature tomorrow 

Edit - Nuttall scores

double edit - Nuttall scores again!!!! 2 in the first 10 minutes

Archived