BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers FC v Plymouth Argyle FC

28 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

It’s simple really, last year we were better than Wigan and Rotherham by some margin, both these clubs are currently above us.

This exactly. Mowbray even had 15 games at the back end of last season to see which players are good enough to get us out of this league and which aren't, Cook at Wigan only had preseason to look at his players, and look at the difference between the two sides. Mowbray also had much more money to spend than Cook. He has failed miserably, it is as simple as that.

Some fans want to keep him because he's a nice bloke, being a nice bloke doesn't make you a good manager! Get him sacked ffs.

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Suhail Slayer said:

Nuttall was signed for the development squad. He won't be getting in the first team so folks should stop talking about it.

The grand plan is to sell Graham in January and then unveil Nuttall as a "new signing" for the first team.

Tony will not be getting us promoted as was already plainly clear last season when he failed to keep us up...or in fact even look like he would.

This is just a re-run of last season with Coyle. When we beat Newcastle last season folks were talking about going on a run and only being x points behind the play offs.

I can't bear to listen to it all over again.

Tony has his next appraisal at the end of November (20 games).

Until then he should be left alone to get on with the job.

Last night he kept us on track to be 20 points behind after 20 games (seems to be running a point a game)

Not that Suhail will be making any costly decisions unless he feels the warmth of the spotlight.

Predictable transfer window excitement / distraction followed by Tony's end of January appraisal. It will all be too late as we sleep walk to new depths... AGAIN

FOV

RTID
NAPM

I'm not too sure that he didn't look like he would keep us up. I thought, given where we were when he arrived, he actually made a decent attempt at that. During the final game at Brentford, there was a point when we were out of the relegation zone, using the live table. Results that day and also what Huddersfield did V Brum, made the difference. I actually do believe if we had stayed up, Mowbray would have done okay this season on the Championship and by that, I don't think we would have been fighting relegation.

At the minute, I do believe there is a lot of anxiety around the place and that is spilling over into the games. Mowbray and the players seem to be feeling it. The weight of being favourites, the biggest budget, the recent history of the club, together with other elements, is evidently causing panic. I am not to sure how to resolve that and can see where it is coming from, but hopefully somehow, this can be turned around. We have players with ability and I do believe a decent manager, so we need to get the psychology right perhaps.

3 minutes ago, 47er said:

TM said we needed in excess of 80 goals to secure automatic promotion. So far we have 16 from 12 games. On his own criterion we won't make it.

Joe Nuttall's strike rate is such, that he has scored almost as many on his own, as the first team have between them.

Just a few thoughts after last night:

• Smallwood asked to be subbed I think in the second half, about 5 minutes before he was and just before he was given stick for passing a ball back (he held his hand up and acknowledged the Riverside after he'd done it).
  • We don't get behind teams enough as we don't have pace out wide.  Bennett is good enough to get balls in without necessarily beating his man with pace (see Scunthorpe & Rotherham for example), but no-one else Mowbray starts with can.  This means teams can play narrowly against us and crowd Dack & Whittingham out of it.  Starting Chapman would help to stretch teams and give the creative players in the middle more space.
  • Graham looks off the pace, but I don't think he received a single cross last night that he could run onto. See above.
  • Antonsson just isn't good enough.  Neither is Caddis going forward.
  • The best we've looked all season from an attacking point of view was when Dack played behind Samuel with Antonsson and Bennett on the wings.  Swap Chapman for Antonsson and we might be getting somewhere.
  • We should have brought Harper on in the middle for Smallwood and kept Bennett out wide.  I have no idea why we took Dack off.  Strange subs that made us worse, Chapman aside.

40 minutes ago, Suhail Slayer said:

If you take some comfort from those thoughts then fine. :lol:

Huddersfield did exactly what I hope we would have done in that position.

Mentioning these things is nonsense. Over the season we were bad enough to get relegated and TM made no difference to our league position whilst he was here. We were not say 12 points behind (like we are now) so should have been a doddle... like Warnock showed at Cardiff who were below us when he took over there.

The facts are the facts - Please stop making excuses for them.

Tony needs to be given more time to sort it out (or show he can't) but he has to get on and do it bloody quick  :!:

I take no comfort from it whatsoever, I just simply like to point out what in my view is fair. Mowbray's points return from the games he was manager, almost certainly show, that had he arrived five games earlier, he would have kept us up. I understand your point about us being bad enough over the season to be relegated, but still maintain that what Huddersfield did was a disgrace and I would not hope for one minute, we would do the same. Imagine if West Ham had done that, in their final game  V Man United in 1995 what then?

3 hours ago, arbitro said:

I'm not sure that Gladwin is athletic. When he has the ball its like watching walking football (although in his defence that applies to most of our team).

For the life in me I can't see what Mowbray saw in him.

13 minutes ago, den9112 said:

Undoubtedly some good strikes which included a few penalties. I would like to see a montage of the misses, times he has lost possession or given the ball away. I think that would engulf his decent stuff.

2 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

It’s simple really, last year we were better than Wigan and Rotherham by some margin, both these clubs are currently above us. And that includes changing their manager so we should have been light years ahead of them in preparations for this campaign with players and positions identified. Yet we started like headless chickens, have had no consistency, change formation and team every week and show no sign of being a promotion contender. Iv logged in today gutted he is still here. It’s not good enough, nowhere near. Get Keith hill in to steady this ship and get the most out this squad who should be taking 3,4,5 past most of these mobs. I don’t buy this I never expected it to be easy blah blah. It’s LG 1 and the quality is so low here it’s unreal. A poor Bolton team walked it last year 

The people running Wigan and Rotherham are clued up businessmen, who are based in the UK and have boards of directors who conduct business in a transparent and sensible manner for the benefit of the club.

Of course you are right, last season we were considerably better than Wigan or Rotherham. We should have been ahead of them in preparation for the campaign yet that ignores the Venky factor which has held back preparations at the club for years.

Mowbray has had one meeting with the owners, in India, who know nothing about football. Who advised them to retain Mowbray? Or was it just a decision they based on a few meetings with him and deciding they liked him?

Contrast to Wigan and Rotherham who have people sat upstairs on matchday watching events unfold who can demand better or provide answers/clarity when the need arises.

We start every season on the back foot because our summer business cannot begin until the manager has been to India in May/June for approval and cannot sign players until the go ahead comes in from Pune.

Just now, JHRover said:

The people running Wigan and Rotherham are clued up businessmen, who are based in the UK and have boards of directors who conduct business in a transparent and sensible manner for the benefit of the club.

Of course you are right, last season we were considerably better than Wigan or Rotherham. We should have been ahead of them in preparation for the campaign yet that ignores the Venky factor which has held back preparations at the club for years.

Mowbray has had one meeting with the owners, in India, who know nothing about football. Who advised them to retain Mowbray? Or was it just a decision they based on a few meetings with him and deciding they liked him?

Contrast to Wigan and Rotherham who have people sat upstairs on matchday watching events unfold who can demand better or provide answers/clarity when the need arises.

We start every season on the back foot because our summer business cannot begin until the manager has been to India in May/June for approval and cannot sign players until the go ahead comes in from Pune.

Spot on and is the exact reason, why we will not be successful ever under these owners. People can blame Mowbray all they want, but he is on a hiding to nothing, as any other future manager will be.

18 minutes ago, den said:

Is it too much to ask that a manager who couldn’t keep us in a poor championship last season, at least has us competing for the top two positions in a very, very poor league one? 

I don’t think so. 

Is it too much to ask for a proper source of communication with the decision makers? Mowbray would have kept us up last year, had he been appointed sooner, but the powers that be didn't make the decision quickly enough. Cheston asks Pasha about sacking Coyle who has a think about it. He then asks the owners, who book a family meeting 3 weeks later. After the meeting, they deliberate for a while and whilst doing so, we lose 4 more games. All Mowbrays fault though.

I find it harsh for the fault to fall entirely on Mowbray. First off how the manager can be blamed for yesterday result when Gladwin can't even put the ball in the back of the net from 2 yards is beyond me. For me the team is still not clicking and I am not surprise by that as i always felt the first half of the season would stuttered due to the influx and outflux of players. Our key advantage over any team in this division is our strength in depth. Just have to look at the midfield area to see that with Conway, Bennett, Gladwin, Dack, Smallwood, Evans, Whittingham, Tomlinson, Chapman. Teams will begin to have injuries around November and December just like we will the only difference is they will not have the quality we have to push on from there. We still have two games in hand and everything to play for. It was never going to be a perfect season under Venky's but I just feel right now more than ever we need an identity and someone at the helm to put his stamp on a project for the long term. 

19 minutes ago, lraC said:

Spot on and is the exact reason, why we will not be successful ever under these owners. People can blame Mowbray all they want, but he is on a hiding to nothing, as any other future manager will be.

That is just rubbish. They gave Mowbray a  free rein with a huge budget for League 1 and allowed him to keep his best players. Mowbray can have zero complaints about the owners, a good manager would be doing much better than Mowbray is currently, regardless of Venkys.

1 minute ago, RV Blue said:

That is just rubbish. They gave Mowbray a  free rein with a huge budget for League 1 and allowed him to keep his best players. Mowbray can have zero complaints about the owners, a good manager would be doing much better than Mowbray is currently, regardless of Venkys.

A good manger like who? Every single manager who has walked through the door in the last 8 years has failed. The only one who was doing well was sacked and all we have seen since then is decline. So all those managers were bad and should have been able to succeed, regardless of the owners? I have some really bad news for you, we will never see success under these lot, no matter who the manager is.

3 hours ago, Tom said:

Telling again that when the players came over for a drink when a player was down Mowbray was facing the other way with his arms folded looking down rather than barking instructions 

Indeed VERY telling. It was a that moment I realised he isnt up to the job. 

Yet another season wasted. 

At least they are being properly coached at half time now instead of dicking around doing keepy uppies - someone at ewood must read this message board.

not sure how much longer i can invest financially and emotionally  into something that appears so unprofessional 

#venkysout

43 minutes ago, lraC said:

Is it too much to ask for a proper source of communication with the decision makers? Mowbray would have kept us up last year, had he been appointed sooner, but the powers that be didn't make the decision quickly enough. Cheston asks Pasha about sacking Coyle who has a think about it. He then asks the owners, who book a family meeting 3 weeks later. After the meeting, they deliberate for a while and whilst doing so, we lose 4 more games. All Mowbrays fault though.

I wasn’t convinced by Mowbray last season IraC and nothing’s happened so far this season to change my mind - and as valid as the criticism about the owners certainly is, does that mean that under performing managers should be tolerated because of the owners incompetence? Is that not merely making things doubly impossible?

13 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

The same team that got a point against Shrewsbury and tonight Wigan only drew with Gillingham a team we won against. 

Plus for me far too many people on here just expect us to beat everyone and not face a problem. Well this league isnt just walk over for us and its time fans realise this. I am of the believe that if we play the way we did tonight and against Rotherham and keep creating loads of chances we will get promote. If you disagree fine but I will keep believing in Mowbray and this squad

Are you seriously justifying our under-achieving by highlighting blips of the top two teams?

Is that what we're resorting to now?

Just now, den said:

I wasn’t convinced by Mowbray last season IraC and nothing’s happened so far this season to change my mind - and as valid as the criticism about the owners certainly is, does that mean that under performing managers should be tolerated because of the owners incompetence? Is that not merely making things doubly impossible?

Like anything in life, if you see your so called superiors, creating havoc, you are less likely to perform to your absolute best. I could accept that Mowbray wasn't up to the job, if he was the only one who had failed. As we have seen with lots of other failing clubs, managers come and go, but they keep on failing. The only one I can think of, who has had a degree of success, despite the owners is Gary Bowyer and we all know what happened with him, whilst at Ewood.

1 hour ago, roverstdt said:

I find it harsh for the fault to fall entirely on Mowbray. First off how the manager can be blamed for yesterday result when Gladwin can't even put the ball in the back of the net from 2 yards is beyond me. For me the team is still not clicking and I am not surprise by that as i always felt the first half of the season would stuttered due to the influx and outflux of players. Our key advantage over any team in this division is our strength in depth. Just have to look at the midfield area to see that with Conway, Bennett, Gladwin, Dack, Smallwood, Evans, Whittingham, Tomlinson, Chapman. Teams will begin to have injuries around November and December just like we will the only difference is they will not have the quality we have to push on from there. We still have two games in hand and everything to play for. It was never going to be a perfect season under Venky's but I just feel right now more than ever we need an identity and someone at the helm to put his stamp on a project for the long term. 

Thats all very well but we have had no more ins and outs than many other clubs in the division - even Wigan had more. We also had a budget of close to 1.5 million to spend while no-one else had close to that amount. How comes they are managing to gel so quickly despite ours costing money and theirs mainly costing nothing? All this done by a manager there that only came in at the start of the season while we had TM for the end of last season (so should know our strengths and weaknesses). 

Im sorry but it comes down to all the chopping and changing, the many different formations and over-complicating things. It also comes down to poor recruitment - can you believe we paid a fee for Gladwin? Smallwood has been the only positive apart from perhaps Samuel, the rest have been very disappointing.

1 hour ago, roverstdt said:

You can't say it's not TM for for gladwin miss then say when we get injuries we have the quality other teams don't when gladwin is our back up

6 hours ago, RV Blue said:

This really worries me. When TM flew out to India on his mission was it a last-ditch attempt to avoid shut-down? Did he ask for financial support for this season on the basis that he could guarantee us promotion?

If so, what will happen to the club if he fails?

What a shambles against Plymouth I am sure it is blatantly obvious to most fans that at the beginning of the season we needed to invest in a 6 foot plus centre forward and a 6 foot plus centre half who can battle against the teams in this division Mowbrays answer Antonsson,Samuels and wait for Lenihan we will not be promoted with this manager for he has bought the wrong players and watching the Rovers play is depressing.

Archived