SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] FA Cup 2017/18

arbitro

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Aye it would have been more but that was a sell out on the night and I think Fleetwood had returned 300 :o

Factor in it was a cold Monday night live on TV whilst Rovers was a Saturday afternoon not on TV and tickets were the same or possibly even cheaper at Rovers and it should be very concerning.

Mike Cheston will shrug his shoulders, not his fault or problem, look how he can shut another stand down for the Crewe game and on we go.

Just now, meadows said:

Nothing new under the sun Jack. A Chorley v PNE FA Cup tie played at Ewood in - I think - 1986 attracted Ewood’s biggest attendance of that season. And we were in the second tier then. 

I can accept/understand that in 1986 given the magnitude of that particular cup tie and the fact it was held at Ewood Park enabled the attendance to be higher than it would ever have been at Chorley. Triple whammy for that one - loads of Preston going because of the fixture, loads from Chorley as the biggest game in history and also Blackburnians for the novelty/interest.

When the game is held at Chorley with a capacity of 3,000-4,000 and the opposition is Fleetwood Town who returned some of their allocation, for a live TV game, I think the people running Rovers should be highly concerned about the numbers turning up. Expect another dire turn out vs Crewe.

20 minutes ago, meadows said:

Nothing new under the sun Jack. A Chorley v PNE FA Cup tie played at Ewood in - I think - 1986 attracted Ewood’s biggest attendance of that season. And we were in the second tier then. 

Some great footage here. I think that's future Rover Ronnie Hildersley crossing for PNE's disallowed goal.

Yeah, unlike some I'd like the lower league sides as far as possible. It seems some, no doubt the people running Rovers included, would prefer a tie against the Uniteds and Citys of this world for the exposure and money. I'd like to get fortunate draws as far as we can in the hope that one day we at least reach a semi-final at Wembley.

13 hours ago, JHRover said:

Factor in it was a cold Monday night live on TV whilst Rovers was a Saturday afternoon not on TV and tickets were the same or possibly even cheaper at Rovers and it should be very concerning.

Mike Cheston will shrug his shoulders, not his fault or problem, look how he can shut another stand down for the Crewe game and on we go.

I’d agree with all concerns regarding our attendances but I don’t find a comparison with this game particularly valid.

I went and I know plenty of people who also did, at least half of them regulars at Ewood - I saw a number of fans I don’t know wearing Rovers hats, jackets etc. It was a game with local interest, potential for a “shock” (Fleetwood?) etc. and several friends I know went hadn’t been to Victory Park or other football for several years. It’s how these games work. 

My concern was how small the gap, fitness and speed really, was between the sides. The level of football was very clear from six feet away. Rovers failed to beat Fleetwood - very depressing. 

I’m much more concerned by our absolutely dreadful performance against Barnet. This game was the nail in the coffin for me. I’ll go against Crewe but my interest in the match is way below zero. As a club we are pretty much dead in the water. 

40 minutes ago, arbitro said:

As far as I can see there have been no price details issued by the club yet for the Crewe game. 

Poor again from Rovers.

And they wonder why nobody bothers to turn up. 8 days since the draw was made and no ticket information available. Given the likely turnout they should be moving heaven and earth to shift as many tickets as possible including maximising the window of sales.

I could understand it if they were putting together some sort of pioneering ticket initiative to get people to Ewood but I'll have a guess now that the arrangements will be identical to those against Barnet. £10 a ticket.

Suppose I may as well mention the "FA Youth Cup" in this thread with Rovers playing at Ewood tomorrow night. No reduction for season ticket holders with prices being £4 for all adults. Might seem a minor thing but considering the way things are run at Ewood its just another slight.

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

As far as I can see there have been no price details issued by the club yet for the Crewe game. 

Poor again from Rovers.

I don't think the FA have fixed any dates as yet for the 2nd Round according to the FA Website.  I believe that a certain number of games have to be played on Sunday to allow TV to run a Special programme featuring goals as they go in - I think there were eight games in the last round on a Sunday that weren't screened live but featured in such a programme.  Also the TV games haven't been decided as yet - presumably waiting for this week's replays to be decided.

5 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

I don't think the FA have fixed any dates as yet for the 2nd Round according to the FA Website.  I believe that a certain number of games have to be played on Sunday to allow TV to run a Special programme featuring goals as they go in - I think there were eight games in the last round on a Sunday that weren't screened live but featured in such a programme.  Also the TV games haven't been decided as yet - presumably waiting for this week's replays to be decided.

Fylde v Wigan has been announced on the Friday night live on BBC. Probably more to come.

48 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

I saw the BBC announced they are covering AFC Fylde v Wigan on Friday 1st December within a few days of the draw being made. Once again the FA are treating the fans with disdain. Supporters who travel by train and other modes of public transport won't be able to do so yet.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

I saw the BBC announced they are covering AFC Fylde v Wigan on Friday 1st December within a few days of the draw being made. Once again the FA are treating the fans with disdain. Supporters who travel by train and other modes of public transport won't be able to do so yet.

Couldn't agree more.  I'll be annoyed if our game is played on a Sunday just so the broadcasters can fill an afternoon slot simply to bring up to the minute reports from various grounds.  As you say, no thought for the supporters who actually attend the matches.

We are at a family Christening that day so none of us regulars will be there.

Thanks BBC - I hope it's really worth it for you.

As an aside I can't remember any games being forced to kick off on a Sunday from the third round onwards to show the goals as they go in. They have a live game and that's it. 

10 minutes ago, meadows said:

I’ll moan about ticket prices with the best of them but £12 for a cup tie isn’t really extortionate.  

If you insist on a rational explanation - and you could just as easily reverse the question to ‘how did they rationalise making Barnet cheaper?’ - I suppose they could say more sections are open v Crewe, a few more stewards, overheads etc

I would also normally complain about being fannied around with as regards Day, kick off times etc but I’m at a gig in Liverpool with overnight stay on the Friday so it works out ok on this occasion for me & Family while I’m disappointed that loyal fans like Arbitro and his mates will have to miss - there won’t be that many there in first place to be losing regulars! 

All in all £22 to see two cup games isn’t really extravagant pricing by any definition

Not long till pensioner prices either for you & I Tony!!

I don't really mind whether its £10, £12 or £15 I just don't really see how they can justify a price hike from Round 1 to Round 2. The calibre of opposition is the same, the performance offered against Barnet was a disgrace and won't get many flocking back in anticipation, the crowd very small. They aren't really in a position to start making additional demands on those few who bothered last time. If 15,000 had turned up then the idea of making some more money on it would make sense, but I expect we'll be down around the 4,000-5,000 mark again. Rather than bump prices up for another League Two game you'd think the threat of another sub-4000 gate would encourage them to try and do something about it rather than say 'oh we'll have another £2 off all you who want to come back for some more'. I suspect there'll be a few less than impressed with the Barnet effort who are thinking about not bothering for this one and the double whammy of a Sunday KO and the cheek of a price increase for the privilege will make minds up.

They don't have to open more sections up. It seems they are opening the JW Lower to home fans due to complaints from less mobile fans who can't get upstairs who want to sit on the side of the pitch because for some reason adults without children are not allowed in the Family Section, even though there must have been about 200 at a push in there for the Barnet game so plenty of space to accommodate those who wanted to sit there. If Rovers want to mess people around opening different areas of the ground up it hardly seems fair to pass the cost of this on to those home fans who do turn up.

2 hours ago, meadows said:

I’ll moan about ticket prices with the best of them but £12 for a cup tie isn’t really extortionate.  

If you insist on a rational explanation - and you could just as easily reverse the question to ‘how did they rationalise making Barnet cheaper?’ - I suppose they could say more sections are open v Crewe, a few more stewards, overheads etc

I would also normally complain about being fannied around with as regards Day, kick off times etc but I’m at a gig in Liverpool with overnight stay on the Friday so it works out ok on this occasion for me & Family while I’m disappointed that loyal fans like Arbitro and his mates will have to miss - there won’t be that many there in first place to be losing regulars! 

All in all £22 to see two cup games isn’t really extravagant pricing by any definition

Not long till pensioner prices either for you & I Tony!!

60 is the new 40 Jim ?.

I got my senior railcard last week and also managed to convince a young waitress in a Fleetwood cafe that I was eligible for the pensioners menu.

2 minutes ago, meadows said:

Give over man you look no different to when you were playing for SMC or running round the Bouly with a feather cut and Brutus Baggies

Tank top, Ben Sherman and Skinners with cherry red Doc Martens. Us Darreners were a cut above didn't you know Jim ?.

As my brother worked in Clobber at the time I had the benefit of cut price clothing.

Archived