Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] FA Cup 2017/18

arbitro

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Tom said:

Clear penalty to Chelsea not given even with VAR

Disagree, its not a 100% error not to give the penalty, im not convinced it is, looks too close, either way theres an element of doubt and debate therefore it shouldnt go to VAR.

I noticed at the end of the game rashford sat on the grass clearly gutted after the whistle as well as some glum faces picking up there losers medals whilst Pogba hugged , laughed and smiled with the Chelsea players before strutting for his losers medal. I can imagine him having a shower and jumping into his Bentley and off out forgetting he had even just been involved in a game. I hate pricks like Pogba. Thoughts ?

Light blue hair when playing against City for United. He’s on an ego trip.

Shame our so called top teams prefer spending obscene amounts of cash on blokes of his ilk rather than investing in growing their own talent. Maybe Brexit will enable a cap on overseas players to be reintroduced. Doubt it though. Football has sold its souls and players like Pogba are the result.

Two things today I vowed I would not watch because they were boring, boring, boring.

The FA Cup final (Chelski v Man Utd boring) and the royal wedding.

Somehow I finished up watching both and thoroughly enjoyed both. 

What's got into me?

5 minutes ago, bazza said:

Two things today I vowed I would not watch because they were boring, boring, boring.

What's got into me?

Ten pints of stella ?

6 hours ago, bazza said:

What's got into me?

Ha. I must admit I thought the same going in and the same outcome of enjoying them both. 

Re the wedding I was loving the royals reactions to that leader of the American episcopalian church. He was very very American so a tad much but entertaining. The BBC seem to be studiously avoiding showing the duke of Edinburgh. Bet he’d have a reaction to him. “Let’s get y’all married.” Princess Beatrice looks amused, Zara Philips and everyone else they showed looked bemused.

Even the fa cup was far better than the overhyped (well not if watch sky who pretend fa cup doesn’t exist) drudgery usually served up year on year. Not sure on the rules on the VAR whether it’s solely the referees discretion to review or like in cricket where teams can review but if each team had a review that pen shout might have added to the drama. 

I fell asleep at 8 pm local time and woke about 4 am so missed the lot. No booze involved it's just been very very hot and humid here.

I have seen FA Cup highlights already on youtube. Jones at his clumsy best, I'm looking at odds that he concedes the first WC penalty for England. Could not care less who won it as I dislike them equally but nice to see Jose potless.

As a Royalist I'm really sorry to miss the Wedding and will spend time today looking online for highlights.

Thank feck the cricket tests start soon.....

2 hours ago, matt83 said:

Ha. I must admit I thought the same going in and the same outcome of enjoying them both. 

Re the wedding I was loving the royals reactions to that leader of the American episcopalian church. He was very very American so a tad much but entertaining. The BBC seem to be studiously avoiding showing the duke of Edinburgh. Bet he’d have a reaction to him. “Let’s get y’all married.” Princess Beatrice looks amused, Zara Philips and everyone else they showed looked bemused.

Even the fa cup was far better than the overhyped (well not if watch sky who pretend fa cup doesn’t exist) drudgery usually served up year on year. Not sure on the rules on the VAR whether it’s solely the referees discretion to review or like in cricket where teams can review but if each team had a review that pen shout might have added to the drama. 

I watched a discussion as part of the build up and there seemed to be a real concern about VAR and this not becoming ‘the VAR final’. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the referee had been ‘encouraged’ not to use it.

After this season, I think it will die a death. Not because it can’t add to the game but because the people in charge of football are too thick to implement it properly. Having a referee go running over to a screen was a nonsense. That doesn’t happen in any other sport that uses it as far as I’m aware. We have fourth officials FFS what are they there for if not this, holding up a board?

Just now, Stuart said:

I watched a discussion as part of the build up and there seemed to be a real concern about VAR and this not becoming ‘the VAR final’. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the referee had been ‘encouraged’ not to use it.

After this season, I think it will die a death. Not because it can’t add to the game but because the people in charge of football are too thick to implement it properly. Having a referee go running over to a screen was a nonsense. That doesn’t happen in any other sport that uses it as far as I’m aware. We have fourth officials FFS what are they there for if not this, holding up a board?

Yeah it needs refining that’s for sure. In rugby you can hear the discussions between the referee and other official that would help.

In general I think people involved in football are terrified of change. Particularly the big clubs who won’t like a fairer playing field. But I think its necessary to give the officials help. I remember the hoopla around changing the back pass rule to avoid that farcical scenario of defender to keeper, keeper to defender, defender to keeper time wasting. I think it was Alan green who said it was a disgrace changing the rule and I forget why but goalkeepers would be horribly injured.

That all worked out to the improvement of the game as I’m sure VAR will. In spite the authorities best incompetent efforts to make it fail 

Also I think VAR faces difficulties from the terraces. We live in an instant gratification society and heaven forbid people wait a minute for an informed video replay decision.

Curiously people seem more than happy to watch some softy roll around the floor for minute whilst simultaneously holding his face and knee but getting to the bottom of a major decision will be greeted with boos I’m sure. 

I don't want instant gratification but I also think that VAR is wank. Goal line technology is amazing but that's black and white. Too much grey in everything else.

Hopefully it will die a death and guess what? The game will go on fine just as it has for 140 years.

• Moderation Lead

Re Jones in the final, I’m not sure what else he was supposed to do with the challenge for the penalty. Hazard is faster than him and he had to attempt a challenge or Hazard ultimately would have bagged....

3 hours ago, Rover_Shaun said:

I don't want instant gratification but I also think that VAR is wank. Goal line technology is amazing but that's black and white. Too much grey in everything else.

Hopefully it will die a death and guess what? The game will go on fine just as it has for 140 years.

Yep, and the big clubs will continue to get ‘the rub of the green’.

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

Re Jones in the final, I’m not sure what else he was supposed to do with the challenge for the penalty. Hazard is faster than him and he had to attempt a challenge or Hazard ultimately would have bagged....

True, but the horrendous defending was in allowing him to get there in the build up.

Alan Shearer was quite right in that Phil Jones' defending often seems last ditch, showing he maybe doesnt read the game as well as he should.

23 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

True, but the horrendous defending was in allowing him to get there in the build up.

Alan Shearer was quite right in that Phil Jones' defending often seems last ditch, showing he maybe doesnt read the game as well as he should.

Exactly right and how he got badly injured early on with us. The sort of defending that will be exploited and punished at the WC. He's an accident waiting to happen.

2 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Jones was caught out of position, read what hazard was going to do incorrectly, turned slower than a truck and then lunged in. The guy looked like he was going to be a superstar here. I reckon that could be his last game for utd 

• Backroom
6 hours ago, matt83 said:

Yeah it needs refining that’s for sure. In rugby you can hear the discussions between the referee and other official that would help.

In general I think people involved in football are terrified of change. Particularly the big clubs who won’t like a fairer playing field. But I think its necessary to give the officials help. I remember the hoopla around changing the back pass rule to avoid that farcical scenario of defender to keeper, keeper to defender, defender to keeper time wasting. I think it was Alan green who said it was a disgrace changing the rule and I forget why but goalkeepers would be horribly injured.

That all worked out to the improvement of the game as I’m sure VAR will. In spite the authorities best incompetent efforts to make it fail 

Linking the ref's mic up to the fanboy would improve things no end. Hearing the exact reasons for bookings would help fans get the ref's perspective.

Also would hopefully clear up the players swearing at the ref. Real bugbear of mine. Treat the authority with respect and they'll more than likely be more lenient with you.

• Moderation Lead
3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Jones was caught out of position, read what hazard was going to do incorrectly, turned slower than a truck and then lunged in. The guy looked like he was going to be a superstar here. I reckon that could be his last game for utd 

Yeah, but Hazard is faster than him, so he can’t match him for pace. I find that people always scapegoat their favourites rather than remembering it’s a team game...

Like with Pogba, if he hadn’t gone to Juventus and simply ended up in the first team after graduating the youth team, he wouldn’t have had half the stick he’s had. He’s obviously guilty of being a giant douche on the internet, but people go well over the top with him IMO.

Archived