BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Manager or Players to blame?

Have we played well for a full game this season? Either scraping wins or losing games on paper we really should be winning doesn't bode well in the long run. Mowbray has said as much in the LT tonight:-

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15596936._Ultimately_we_got_what_we_deserved____Tony_Mowbray_reacts_to_Rovers__defeat_at_Oldham_Athletic/?action=success#comments-feedback-anchor

4 defeats in 11 games is not the form of a team who will go up automatically.

So is it the players or is the manager to blame? Has Mowbray's recruitment been over-hyped, not least by himself? Of all his signings could you perhaps really only make a strong case for Smallwood being consistently good? Is it that Mowbray is simply unable to get the best out of them and doesn't pick the right teams? Or are the players he inherited simply not good enough?

Mowbray himself has said the players are good enough and that if he doesn't get promoted he isn't much of a manager.

Personally I think Mowbray leaves a lot to be desired, especially in his ability to motivate a team.

I thought it was worth a topic as there seems to differing opinions on where the blame lies. Thoughts?

• Like 2

Both. 

A good manager can blend a team of adequate players into a successful side. There is now a massive worry if Mowbray can do that, especially after witnessing that @#/? today. He seems to think we can keep it tight and almost overpower the opposition to get results. Like we don't need to work at it.

However the squad is simply not as good as people thInk. On what they have showed in Rovers colours, the players simply lack the talent people think they have.

As defenders, Ward, Caddis and Williams aren't great. As cultured as Mulgrew is on the ball, he's not the best out and out defender. Downing has done well fortunately, but we're solid rather than blessed in defence.

Midfield,is a funny one as it has improved since relegation. Smallwood shows up how bad Lowe was and we have a lot of average options. However, none who started today have anything in their game to unlock a defence. That job falls to Dack and Chapman but they are currently benched. From what we have seen Dack is living off reputation though. I'm Yet  to see his true value.

Up front is another quandary. Grahams purple patch (10 weeks?) ended long ago and neither Antonsson or Samuel look like they will create lots, or that they will sniff out 20 goals. I think this is another area we seriously lack in.

In short, watching how the games are panning out, Mowbray should be doing better as we are playing poor and being overrun in many games. However I still don't believe we have a squad that is in the best two in the league.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 5

Both, but mowbray chose them players and paid good money for one or two so ultimately he is to blame, that's not to say the players shouldn't shoulder some blame and responsibility. Tony said he didn't come away thinking it was a bad performance. I wasn't their but judging by the reaction of people on here , they are worrying comments. If you factor in the checkatrade performance of people supposedly trying to stake a claim for a place in this underachieving team you seriously have to start questioning his motivational skills and authority after the comments of that game. End of the day it's just not good enough or acceptable

• Like 5

I have supported Mowbray in the past but my patience is fast running out as we just cannot put together a consistent 70 or 80 minute spell in any one game. Even before the season started the more knowledgeable Rovers fans saw the need for an ugly, raw boned centre half who would kick and head anything. Similarly we could have done with a big striker with the same virtues. We got neither. Instead we have too many fancy Dan players who want time on the ball and far too many touches. On the whole Mowbrays signings simply haven't been good enough. I didn't like his interview when he pretty much said he is reluctant to put youngsters in but in all honesty can they be as bad as some of the current incumbents. He is playing catch up for me now and I now have doubts whether he is up to it.

That said he can't be blamed for poor set plays and awful decision making by players on far too many occasions this season. I have questioned the players attitude on several occasions this season when far too many of them don't seem to want to do the hard yards and ugly side of the game. At this level it's a prerequisite and if you don't, well we've seen the evidence for ourselves. 

• Like 6

Elliot Ward is one of the worst centre halves , I have ever seen play for Rovers , he is absolutely useless.....

Fanny Graham is finished along with Conway .....

Williams is very poor,  Caddy well like my mate says not good enough for Bury......

There will be no promotion with Mowbray , that is becoming obvious....

• Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

certain players attitude need seriously questioning and need dropping

ward, Williams, Graham for a start. Whittingham need to improve

I thought that Whittingham did OK doing what he's good at. Moving the ball about . The trouble he can't do the other things that are essential for a midfield player in this league. Running, tackling, closing down, challenging for headers etc.  The wrong signing for this league. We needed a player to do what Jack Byrne did today and carry the ball into the last third at pace. He killed us today, especially in the second half.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I thought that Whittingham did OK doing what he's good at. Moving the ball about . The trouble he can't do the other things that are essential for a midfield player in this league. Running, tackling, closing down, challenging for headers etc.  The wrong signing for this league. We needed a player to do what Jack Byrne did today and carry the ball into the last third at pace. He killed us today, especially in the second half.

Whittingham has never been that type of player tbh. 

very harsh to say worst signing for this league. 

how was Graham's performance?

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Whittingham has never been that type of player tbh. 

very harsh to say worst signing for this league. 

how was Graham's performance?

I didn't say " worst signing " I said  " wrong signing for this league " . He's not mobile enough and he plays too deep.

Graham came on for an ineffectual Antonsson after about 55 minutes. To be honest I didn't notice a difference. Having said that the service the strikers got was really poor today. Nobody played well all over the pitch.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

53 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I didn't say " worst signing " I said  " wrong signing for this league " . He's not mobile enough and he plays too deep.

Graham came on for an ineffectual Antonsson after about 55 minutes. To be honest I didn't notice a difference. Having said that the service the strikers got was really poor today. Nobody played well all over the pitch.

I thought Raya played well, although his distribution can be poor.

• Backroom

Troy Deeney said on BT Sport tonight that every time he plays Arsenal he likes to stick one on them early and see how they react and every time they show they have no balls and that sets him up for the game.

Exactly the same can be said for our wimps, we have some players with some ability and grace but no balls. Like a chihuahua fighting a pit bull.

Having said that I think with these players at their disposal other men could get more from them. 4 losses in 11 but more worryingly no real style or gameplan in the vast majority of games is really poor from Mowbray.

Players and Manager to blame but the manager brought in a fair few of the players!

Whittingham's a very good player for this level. The problem we have and have had for a long while now is, there is very little movement in front of him. The players up front, particularly Graham so far this season, expect the ball laid on a plate for them without them putting any effort into getting into a good position or moving the defenders about to open something up. You could have Pirlo or Scholes in there but with no movement from the front 3, they would be as useful as Whittingham is at present.

• Like 2

Both in equal measure but we have a bench that should be able to alter things yet it doesn't always get used correctly so that's down to the manager. He throws them on but gives them the wrong tasks out of position or next to one or two out of position so they can never build any momentum plus his subs are to predictable now opposition know what's coming.

If the majority of players are TM picks when they signed and not thrusted upon him then Id say its 90% Manager. I know the old saying " but once they cross that white line...." but TM should be putting the fear of god up them.

When I played most of the time we played with fear ( and respect) from the manager.