BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] ROVERS v Portsmouth

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

3 points at Wigan would make a world of difcerence. Hope TM doesnt drop Dack and Chapman and go there hoping to grind out a point.

As regards Shrewsbury they've done fantastically well so far but there's only so long you can go hardly scoring any goals and conceding virtually none surely?

Three points at Wigan would be massive. If we lose and Shrewsbury win too, the top 2 then looks miles away. 

If you look at Shrewsburys next 5 league games, four of them are against some good teams in this league. It will be interesting to see what their points tally is after the next five games. 

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

I wasn't able to attend today - could the people that were perhaps supply a break down of who played well and who didn't?

Quite solid altogether, special mentions for Dack, Downing, Whittingham and Chapman. Not the same domination without finishing on Tuesday but we never looked in an real trouble.

Downing suits Mulgrew- a basic centrehalf who knows the position and possesses the physical faculties to enable us to defend a higher line.

Nyambe actually did well, I worried with him and Chapman on one side, but he got forward well, particularly first half and only looked shaky on a few occasions.

Chapman similarly made one or two daft decision in his own half, but his pace and mentality is really useful and created the first goal. I can see him and Nyambe creating a deadly partnership, bags of pace between them.

Lastly, Whittingham had some good movement today to work with - from the previously mentioned and Bennett and Graham. Graham also finished well, I think this will give him some confidence. If he can form a solid partnership as a target man for Dack, I can see us getting better.

8 minutes ago, Mercer said:

At this level, Chapman carries a real threat and will terrorise a lot of defences - at Championship level, where defenders are far more savvy, I am not too sure as the lad is not really quick.  You can actually understand M'boro letting the lad out on loan.

Defensively, God help us if we lose Mulgrew for any length of time.  Downing is an agricultural League 1 player whilst I continue to scratch my head over Williams - I would play Doyle every time.

Still don't know what Whittingham is doing out there.  He just does not effect the game.

Chapman not really quick? I haven't seen a player with that kind of accelration since Bellamy. 

Downing agicultural? His passing is his strength. Won every battle today and well done. 4 clean sheets in 4 games.

Whittingham makes the midfield tick. Just watch how he makes himself available and how he uses the ball. 

Without doubt the most consistent 90 minutes of the season in which we pretty much controlled the ball for long periods, passed with more crispness than we have done for a while, played with some pace and won lots of second balls. The tackling seemed a little more fierce than of late with a determination that has been generally lacking this season. Pretty basic stuff really but allied with three smart finishes it gave me an insight into what it takes to get out of this league.

I didn't think there were any real stand out performances but a few who had their best games notably Graham, Dack, Bennett and Whittingham. Nyambe showed he is capable at full back but Downing is becoming a key player who seems to have a stabilising effect on the players around him. I thought the substitutions were right to try and maintain the tempo with Graham and Chapman looking a little tired.

Samuel was ridiculously stupid and you just can't do that. He is out for three games now so I wonder if Nuttall might get on the bench.

We have to go with the same side at Wigan and get on the front foot from the off.

Just now, briansol said:

Chapman not really quick? I haven't seen a player with that kind of accelration since Bellamy. 

Downing agicultural? His passing is his strength. Won every battle today and well done. 4 clean sheets in 4 games.

Whittingham makes the midfield tick. Just watch how he makes himself available and how he uses the ball. 

Game of opinions !

Would disagree that Chapman is quick - you see his frustration at times when he can't get away from the defender.

Some row Z stuff from Downing today.  Charlie is helping him through games.  Think he'd be exposed without Mulgrew there.  MK Dons certainly didn't rate him.

Just don't get it about Whittingham.  Should be running a game Tugay style but not at the races for me.

Just now, Rover_Shaun said:

Catching the top 2? Leave it out :lol:

Its not that ridiculous a suggestion.  Win at Wigan and win the two games in hand and we're three points behind them with another 90 to play for.

Whether Mowbray can remain positive and ditch his innate conservatism will prove key I think.

Just now, Mercer said:

Game of opinions !

Would disagree that Chapman is quick - you see his frustration at times when he can't get away from the defender.

Some row Z stuff from Downing today.  Charlie is helping him through games.  Think he'd be exposed without Mulgrew there.  MK Dons certainly didn't rate him.

Just don't get it about Whittingham.  Should be running a game Tugay style but not at the races for me.

A bit morbid after the best performance of the season Mercerman? did you have a pony on 5-0 or sommat?

Just now, JAL said:

Has he ever been good ?

Apparently for N.Ireland haven't seen it for us. Whittingham playing well and keeping him out of the team. Interesting today that it was Whittingham playing deeper and Smallwood getting forward more.

Just now, darrenrover said:

A bit morbid after the best performance of the season Mercerman? did you have a pony on 5-0 or sommat?

No not at all.  Thought it would be a draw before the match started but once the game kicked off, could see nothing but a Rovers' win and bet 'in play' on such.

As I said in my summary, thought Portsmouth were very, very poor and performance / result should be seen in context.  After having said that, there were some positives and it was a step in the right direction.  Let's hope Mowbray learned a few things today!

Just now, Fraserkirky said:

Apparently for N.Ireland haven't seen it for us. Whittingham playing well and keeping him out of the team. Interesting today that it was Whittingham playing deeper and Smallwood getting forward more.

Thought Whittingham and Smallwood played alongside each other today and I was pressed by both especially Smallwood determination.

Agree with whoever about Downing's agricultural kicking. 

Nobody should ignore Mowbray's substitution's though they need to be questioned.

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Its not that ridiculous a suggestion.  Win at Wigan and win the two games in hand and we're three points behind them with another 90 to play for.

Whether Mowbray can remain positive and ditch his innate conservatism will prove key I think.

Big IF'S

Just now, Mercer said:

Game of opinions !

I have to disagree there. Chapman is quick enough and looks like lightning compared to our other wide men.

Downing is no frills but does exactly what it says on the tin. Have we conceded a goal with him in the side?

Whittingham I partly agree on, I'd like to see more from him but even if he only offers a bit of creativity and ingenuity that's more than Evans recently.

Raya Mulgrew Downing Smallwood Chapman Dack.

They're the "first name on the teamsheet" players for me. Everyone else still has a bit to prove.

20 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

Thought Nyambe was excellent today. Downing won't win any skills competitions, but he does the job.

I thought Pompey knocked the ball about pretty well but had zero cutting edge.

good performance from us! Very happy 

Nyambe was average up against no one still got booked.He got into forward positions but never created or opened up the pompey defence just kept playing it back or inside to whoever.

Not a good un !

We need to build on this now. LDW in the last three. That’s not enough over the season so it’s important that we turn this into a run that has us challenging for the top 2 by Christmas.

Downing seems to be the missing piece of the defensive jigsaw. Steady and gives Mulgrew a better platform.

Keep Gladwin well away from the first team and try to keep this side together for a little while. Stop tinkering Mowbray as let them play.

All in all a good performance and the result we needed after the last two.

Just now, JAL said:

Nyambe was average up against no one still got booked.He got into forward positions but never created or opened up the pompey defence just kept playing it back or inside to whoever.

Not a good un !

Thought he caused Pompey a lot of problems getting forward in the first half. Didn't get beat, has the pace and strength to get back when needed. Yeah is final ball can be better and he isn't outstanding in the tackle or in the air, but thought he played very well today.

I thought we were excellent today and above all else the attitude of the players was spot on. As has been said many times if Mowbray picks a team to win instead of one not to lose the results will invariably come. Mowbray and nobody else is the reason we have succumbed at home to some very poor opposition.

Raya - 6 - One excellent save from Bennetts brother first half, a couple of customary fumbles and a dropped shoulder in his own box were really all he had to do.

Nyambe - 8 - Thought he was excellent from start to finish. The kid is a beast. He's quick and strong and also used the ball really intelligently at times. Supported Chapman really well and we looked a threat down the right hand side.

Downing - 7 - As someone else said on here he has a bit of the Craig Short's about him. Dominant in the air and good on the ground. Mulgrew also looks a lot calmer with Downing nect to him.

Mulgrew -8 - Made some excellent blocks and last ditch tackles today and did a lot of the ugly work. Passed the ball really well too. Was always cajoling those around him. He looked really up for it today, a proper Captains performance.

Williams - 7 - One of his better games, looked solid defensively and carried the ball forward well at times.

Chapman - 8 - I think that puts to bed the bollards about him not being able to defend and only being effective against tired legs. He was the difference between winning and another Plymouth because of the simple fact made the all important first goal. He showed great strength to win the ball and then great pace and skill to break their lines and carry the ball 30 yards for Dack to slam in. It's absolutely criminal that Mowbray has not played him against some of the teams that have turned up at Ewood this season and just defended. Delighted for him and he worked really hard even though you can see it doesn't come naturally to him.

Smallwood - 8 - The usual grit and determination and some good passing. He holds that team together through sheer graft. Top man.

Whittingham - 7 - looked a bit more at it today, a bit sharper and some of his forward passing into feet is real quality.

Bennett - 8 - thought he absolutely worked his nads off today, especially when down to ten men when he was doing the job of two men. I find it hard to believe anyone could criticise him.

Dack - 8 - Everytime he gets the ball his first thought is to get it out of his feet and move forward. He's a very clever player and a lot stronger than he looks. Brilliant goal, absolutely smashed it in.

Graham - 8- Held it up really well and brought Chapman, Dack and Bennett into play with some deft touches. Very calm finish. Hopefully he can have a run in the team.

Weird subs that killed the game but maybe he was just taking people off before they got injured in the atrocious conditions. Conway looked sharper and that was a class finish. Samuel looked sharp too but he got proper sucked in by the Andy Carroll lookalike at CH. Evans at No.10 was different.;)

Pompey were decent and actually left some gaps that we could play in instead of putting 10 in defence like Plymouth. They had some neat footballers in midfield and they turned into a typical Kenny Jackett team in the end when they started putting their foot in.  Hats off to their fans, must have been 1500 of them and they sang all the way through.

Brian Storm was relentless. He was everywhere.

All in all a great day. Hopefully a lesson learned from the stubborn Mr Mowbray that in order to actually win a game you need to try and score first and that means having your creative players on the pitch not on the bench.

3 match previews and 3 wins. You are all very welcome ;)

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

I have to disagree there. Chapman is quick enough and looks like lightning compared to our other wide men.  I didn't say the lad was slow, yes he is quicker than Conway etc (which wouldn't be difficult) but he has not got what I would call real pace - he doesn't leave defenders floundering in his wake.

Downing is no frills but does exactly what it says on the tin. Have we conceded a goal with him in the side?  Certainly better than Ward. Decent for League 1 but it's much easier playing with Charlie right next to you!

Whittingham I partly agree on, I'd like to see more from him but even if he only offers a bit of creativity and ingenuity that's more than Evans recently.  Not a fan of either ! To me, Whittingham isn't at the party when needed - I could have looked good out there today against a very poor side!

Raya Mulgrew Downing Smallwood Chapman Dack.

They're the "first name on the teamsheet" players for me. Everyone else still has a bit to prove. Agree with those six but would add Graham who came into his own today when he had a bit of service and support - still got a bit of craft and guile even though painfully slow.

ABSOLUTE RUBBISH

3-0? Do they not know we used to have a radio station? a celebrity chef cooking the pies and an upper tier family stand?

Portsmouth 0? With our budget? our Academy? and turnstiles that read bar codes? how did they manage 0? PATHETIC.

Mowbray out, the mans absolutely clueless...

Archived