BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] ROVERS v Portsmouth

1 minute ago, Gav said:

ABSOLUTE RUBBISH

3-0? Do they not know we used to have a radio station? a celebrity chef cooking the pies and an upper tier family stand?

Portsmouth 0? With our budget? our Academy? and turnstiles that read bar codes? how did they manage 0? PATHETIC.

Mowbray out, the mans absolutely clueless...

Bob Fleming does it better but good effort. Mowbray started the flair players and we won. Strange that. Hope your vimto was good.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Someone jog my memory who was the hapless forward we had a decade or so ago that got sent off late in an away game (thinking maybe Norwich) for stupidly kicking out at someone 

Just now, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

I know it is contary to what some people think - but in one match I think Chapman showed why many have been asking for him to start, but also at times showed why Mowbray has been reticient to start him.

He made the all important first goal out of nothing and gave us the platform for the win. If they score first they can sit in for 90 minutes like Plymouth, Wimbledon etc.  Nyambe was also very good behind him. I think today totally disproved Mowbray's theory. Chapman is a match winner. Not playing him at home was poor management.

• Backroom
Just now, Waggy76 said:

I was there went to qpr and played for England ?

I want to say the chap spent most of his career on the continent but you may be right I seem to recall a good spell and an England cap 

Edit - Jay Bothroyd it was, anyway Samuel today was similarly idiotic!

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

Someone jog my memory who was the hapless forward we had a decade or so ago that got sent off late in an away game (thinking maybe Norwich) for stupidly kicking out at someone 

4 minutes ago, Tom said:

Jay Bothroyd ?

On 18/10/2017 at 20:53, Hasta said:

Tony, if you are reading this I will keep it simple for you.

Play Bradley Dack

Play Harry Chapman.

Play all other players you pick in their correct positions.

Simple.

Boom.

Portsmouth looked a pretty good side. All this nonsense that they were poor. It's just that Mowbray sent his best team out who all played well and, in the end, murdered them.

Everyone played well, including Evans. Samuel's petulance let him down but when you are being constantly fouled and the ref does nothing it's no wonder he lost his rag. Awful referee; as most in this league are.

But how great to come away from Ewood with a spring in my step. I was almost singing and dancing in the rain Gene Kelly style.

44 minutes ago, Tom said:

I want to say the chap spent most of his career on the continent but you may be right I seem to recall a good spell and an England cap 

Edit - Jay Bothroyd it was, anyway Samuel today was similarly idiotic!

Yes , you are right ....Dickov scored on last 5 mins ....

Samuel was fouled but it was idiotic...

1 hour ago, Gav said:

ABSOLUTE RUBBISH

3-0? Do they not know we used to have a radio station? a celebrity chef cooking the pies and an upper tier family stand?

Portsmouth 0? With our budget? our Academy? and turnstiles that read bar codes? how did they manage 0? PATHETIC.

Mowbray out, the mans absolutely clueless...

Don't be a prat.

Pleased with the 3 points but one swallow doesn't make a summer. Team today should be unchanged for next week without tinker Tony meddling. We've allot of ground to make up and we've got to kick on from here, the result without isolation is the bare minimum. We need this now again and again. Up to the team and Mowbray to show the desire and ability now and the balls. No celebrating tonight from me we've got allot to make up and it starts Monday morning prepping to beat Wigan.

Just now, Dunnfc said:

Pleased with the 3 points but one swallow doesn't make a summer. Team today should be unchanged for next week without tinker Tony meddling. We've allot of ground to make up and we've got to kick on from here, the result without isolation is the bare minimum. We need this now again and again. Up to the team and Mowbray to show the desire and ability now.

Absolutely.

I am dreading reading the phrase "we have to kick on from here" 

I am still not sure what was going on with tactics/performances like Southend, Doncaster, Wimbledon, Oldham...and for 70 minutes against Shrewsbury..

Tonight I celebrate....with some reservation...but celebrate I do...

Really good performance, Mowbray has stumbled on his best side and has to stick to it now.

Chapman made a mockery of the insistence that he is best as an impact sub.

Midfield has a nice balance to it, Smallwoods industry, Whittinghams excellent passing range, Chapmans pace and directness and Bennetts work rate and tenacity.

Mentioned signs of Dack and Grahams link up on Tuesday and both were brilliant today said to chaddy that the latter has to play over Samuel who is an absolute clown.

Downing in defence was much more assured alongside the brilliant Mulgrew. Raya pulled off a great save first ha;f but always on the brink of a mistake.

Conway looked bright when he came on and deserved a goal.

Have to go to Wigan with the same team.

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

He made the all important first goal out of nothing and gave us the platform for the win. If they score first they can sit in for 90 minutes like Plymouth, Wimbledon etc.  Nyambe was also very good behind him. I think today totally disproved Mowbray's theory. Chapman is a match winner. Not playing him at home was poor management.

Chapman has been largely anonymous up to that point - over hitting crosses and largely not really getting into the game. Don't get me wrong I would start him - but similarly wouldn't be surprised to see Conway start against Wigan.

BTW - I thought Conway looked sharp coming on against a tiring defence :-)

I drove home from Oldham a week ago, vowing not to go away again this season. I can't believe it was largely the same group of players today! An unbelievable difference. It shows how tough it is to break down teams hell bent on drawing nil nil, as opposed to teams being more open and playing higher up the pitch as Portsmouth did today. 

The Chapman inclusion worked today. I think Mowbray has been wrong in bringing him on as a late sub, surely that places too much pressure on the lad to produce the magic, as we are generally losing the match at his introduction. He had time to produce the goods today and I thought he tried hard helping Nyambe by tracking back, particularly in the first half. 

Mulgrew was immense today, an absolute warrior, winning every header and leading the back line. I thought his performances had dipped by his standards recently and I am certain that he enjoys Downing being there.

Dack was very tightly marked today, clearly known in the lower leagues. His recent goals will give him the confidence to be a big big player for us.

I thought Nyambe was fine and I was willing Whittingham to grab a goal. I think he needs to feel the love of the supporters. He is a class act and I think he will win the doubters over.

I can't remember a season like this. It seems so obvious to so many of us as to how we achieve success but we can't get any real momentum going. I believe we should adopt the mentality  that we are going to all out attack and score goals, rather than the cautious approach. I haven't seen many teams with the quality to score more than an odd goal against us so our goals scored column is all important.

Now then, do I go to Wigan?

Good performance today. Terrible conditions and they dealt with them superbly. Good to see shots from outside of the box and good to see the more active players on the pitch.  On the negative side, Samuel's petulant kick, silly boy.

1 hour ago, AAK said:

Don't be a prat.

Don't worry we had this with GB then he did a spectacular U turn after the highly commendable draw away at Liverpool in the cup when everyone else handed out some praise he tore Gaz a new one from then on :lol: 

Archived