BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] ROVERS v Portsmouth

10 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Good win today. 

Thought Mulgrew and Dack were excellent. Graham look better than all season and work hard(finally). 

Mulgrew and Downing looked solid together. Would be looking to sign Downing permanently. 

Enjoy takeaway today. 

Graham's know how stood how like a beacon yesterday and will do so at this level provided Mowbray doesn't play games with him.  Unfortunately, I think he's carrying too much timber and his legs have also gone so don't expect the work ethic of the Lambert days.

Downing is steady, no more and League 1 is his level.  IMV, both Lenihan and Wharton are better players with much more development potential.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, USABlue said:

Is there video of the spill, would like to see it again.  Video that i can actually watch this side the Atlantic.  Looked hilarious on Ifollow and I tried to go back to watch again but as usual it did nit work for me.

There is a clip posted in TheRovers Facebook group.

5 hours ago, USABlue said:

Is there video of the spill, would like to see it again.  Video that i can actually watch this side the Atlantic.  Looked hilarious on Ifollow and I tried to go back to watch again but as usual it did nit work for me.

If you watch the highlights on sky sports.com you can see him binning it when the players are celebrating Conway’s goal.

19 hours ago, Paul said:

Plenty of possession but apart from a good lay off from Graham for Dack we have no imagination.

Nothing but balls pumped in to the box.

De ja vu Plymouth 

Once we started to look at other options the game changed and all our possession made us very good value for the win. Really enjoyed the afternoon though spent the last 15 minutes worrying the referee might abandon the game. 

The five points we’ve dropped this week, not to mention others, now look very expensive. We should be going to Wigan third not sixth. 

11 minutes ago, Paul said:

Once we started to look at other options the game changed and all our possession made us very good value for the win. Really enjoyed the afternoon though spent the last 15 minutes worrying the referee might abandon the game. 

The five points we’ve dropped this week, not to mention others, now look very expensive. We should be going to Wigan third not sixth. 

Ha. That very much crossed my mind as well. Is there a time in a match after whic the result still stands if the game is abandoned? Never seen as much surface water on Ewood - and given how often we - inexplicably - use the sprinklers at half time that’s saying something!

46 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Ha. That very much crossed my mind as well. Is there a time in a match after whic the result still stands if the game is abandoned? Never seen as much surface water on Ewood - and given how often we - inexplicably - use the sprinklers at half time that’s saying something!

As far as I’m aware any abandoned game has to be replayed. We’ve all seen teams comeback from impossible situations with a couple of goals in a minute or so. 

No doubt for me the game would never have kicked off if the water and rain had been the same as it was from 75 minutes onwards. 

52 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Surprised me how quickly the water accumulated.  Either a problem with the top six inches or the drainage.

Could be a few games off this season if we get rain for a few hours before a match.

7 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Surprised me how quickly the water accumulated.  Either a problem with the top six inches or the drainage.

Could be a few games off this season if we get rain for a few hours before a match.

We watched the second half in the concourse as we were getting drenched in our seats.

When they opened the exits after about 70 minutes, I've never seen rain like that at Ewood. It was bouncing back up off the pavement by about 3 inches. It possibly didn't look as bad inside the ground. 

I'd  put it down to freakish weather rather than the drainage.

1 hour ago, Hasta said:

We watched the second half in the concourse as we were getting drenched in our seats.

When they opened the exits after about 70 minutes, I've never seen rain like that at Ewood. It was bouncing back up off the pavement by about 3 inches. It possibly didn't look as bad inside the ground. 

I'd  put it down to freakish weather rather than the drainage.

Yes it was a deluge in a short space of time even outside some of the manholes on the walk back were struggling to cope & the overflow into the canal was just gushing out.

The stand out priceless moment of yesterday's game has to be the chase for the ball on the aqua planes of Ewood Park for Rovers third goal. The small Blackburn Rover versus the big Portsmouth defender, like a sketch from a distant it's a knockout contest with the crowd roaring on the two contestants for the ball like its the last furlong of a class one horse race. Only for the big defender to get bogged down and the little fella to win the race then chip the oncoming goalie with precision into the Blackburn end goals sending the Rovers crowd into raptures. 

A priceless Ewood Park moment for all those there. 

A stay of execution for Mowbray! A really enjoyable day yesterday, can't really fault anything. Team selection was right and everybody played well, the first time of the season I've said that.

Raya 7

Nyambe 7.5 - much better than Caddis.

Downing 7.5 - makes a massive difference, everyone has more confidence when he is playing at the back.

Mulgrew 8 - MOTM for me.

Williams 6.5 - I didn't rate him before and I still don't rate him now, but he was solid enough.

Chapman 8 - incredible that yesterday was his first start.

Whittingham 7.5 - looked like the player we thought we signed in the summer, his best game in a Rovers shirt.

Bennett 7.5 - classic Bennett, gave 110%.

Dack 8 - great player.

Graham 7.5 - his best game in ages.

Let's see if we can carry it on Wigan... same team please Mowbray, go after them!

18 hours ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Mowbray agreed with you - but for me it was so annoying when our players were kicked all over the pitch - and yet we end up with 10 men.

It is amazing - playing in League 1 you would think the rules were different to the Premiership. I thought that the tackle from behind was frowned upon - and yet today time and time again they went through the back of our players.

Samuel had looked sharp to that point - hugely disappointed with his reaction.

I thought there was a lot of holding from Pompey.  He just let it go. 

3 hours ago, JAL said:

The stand out priceless moment of yesterday's game has to be the chase for the ball on the aqua planes of Ewood Park for Rovers third goal. The small Blackburn Rover versus the big Portsmouth defender, like a sketch from a distant it's a knockout contest with the crowd roaring on the two contestants for the ball like its the last furlong of a class one horse race. Only for the big defender to get bogged down and the little fella to win the race then chip the oncoming goalie with precision into the Blackburn end goals sending the Rovers crowd into raptures. 

A priceless Ewood Park moment for all those there. 

It certainly was ,the big number 6 looked like his feet were just not moving in time with his legs ,if that makes sense ,the Blackburn end just sucked Conway to the ball first .

A cool finish that seemed to take an age to go in 

Was it just me or did Pompey start passing on the ground more as the pitch got wetter, my cynical self thought they were trying to highlight the standing water as if to try to abandon the game.

Heh heh say it ain't so.

Archived