BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] ROVERS v Portsmouth

The Pompey chimes

HELLO SAILOR!

I've always liked Portsmouth FC. A proper football club from a rough arsed town. Like us really. I liked their teams in the 80's, especially the likes of hard nuts Mick Kennedy and Noel Blake. Kevin Dillon was another I always wished would come to Rovers. And the fleet-footed Vince Hilarious. And ex-army turned goalscorer Guy Whittingham.  But could they handle Stoke on a wet Tuesday night in February? Well, yes...but what they couldn't handle, the big Southern jessies, was Jim Branagan in a white skirt,  and a well-intentioned, but slightly late challenge from Glenn Keeley. :D 

Give it a rest Jimmy!

As for Saturday it should prove a stern test. They've had 2 wins away this season, at Dons and Gillingham, and have won 3 of their last 4 without conceding.  A 2-1 defeat at home to Oldham was their most recent defeat. They currently sit 8th but we could go above them on Tuesday if we beat Plymouth on Tuesday and they fail to win at Doncaster

.https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/portsmouth/2017-18/fixtures-and-results.html

They are currently managed by Kenny Jackett and have ex-B@sturd Robbie Blake amongst the coaching staff.

Up front they've got the free-scoring Brett Pitman

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/league-one/top-scorers

Other players of note are ex-Accy forward Kai Naismith, brother-of-Alex Christian Oxlade-Chamberlain and brother-of-Elliott Kyle Bennett. Rev will be overjoyed!

After being fan owned from 2013-2017, Pompey are now under the control of the ex-CEO of Walt Disney https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Eisner.. ('What's the difference between Bing Crosby and Walt Disney' a Scottish man once asked me. 'Don't know' I said. 'Bing sings but Walt Disney' he chortled)

To end on a nautical theme befitting our visitors, let's hope our rubber dinghy men (2017 vintage) are left on the sub(mariners) bench come 3pm Saturday.

Image result for rubber dinghy men

Let's silence the chimes!

ROVERS 1 Pompey 0

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • J*B pinned this topic
Just now, Waggy76 said:

Thats when it was played by men !

When I watch that and then think back to big guys going down like nine pins yesterday - it's another game these days.

Having said that,  from personal experience the rough stuff always looks worse from the sidelines, out in the middle you just get on with it.

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

My team for this game is

Raya; Caddis Downing if fit(Nyambe otherwise) Mulgrew Williams; Smallwood Whittingham; Bennett Dack Antonsson; Samuel. 

The same players that couldn't beat bottom of the league. The same players YOU said were to blame for that.

Good thinking.

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

My team for this game is

Raya; Caddis Downing if fit(Nyambe otherwise) Mulgrew Williams; Smallwood Whittingham; Bennett Dack Antonsson; Samuel. 

So the exact same team bar Graham?

Not for me. Chapman needs to start instead of Bennett. Downing to center back and Nyambe to right back 

Would like to see Nuttall on the bench coming on for half an hour.. Haven’t seen him with my own eyes so curious to see what he’s like. If we’re creating chances and he’s bagging for fun in the reserves surely he’s backing himself to take the chances. 

This isn't a game to be throwing lots of youngsters in. We had our opportunity for that at home to the bottom of the league. Stupendous Tony didn't do that, instead going for nothing-to-prove old head Graham.

My team would be as follows:

GK: Raya.

RB: Caddis

CB: Downing

CB: Mulgrew

LB: Williams (pains me to say, one of my most disliked Rovers players in history)

CM: Smallwood

CM: Evans if fit if not then Bennett, think he defends well and will cover the full backs.

ALM: Chapman - balls to this 'impact player' thing, give the man a go at attacking.

AM: Dack

ARM: Antonsson

CF: Samuel.

I'd have Nuttall on the bench and he'd get a game. You can't be scoring as many as he is and not get a bloody game eventually.

24 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Team I'd go with would be: 

GK: Raya

RB: Travis

CB: Downing

CB: Mulgrew

LB: Williams

CM: Evans

CM: Smallwood

RW: Chapman

CAM: Dack

LW: Antonnson

CF: Nuttall

Bench: Leutwiler, Nyambe, Whittingham. Bennett, Conway, Graham, Samuel

I like that team

However , with all line-ups, I imagine we would lack fluidity. Mowbray would then say he hadn't worked with the younger players. 

7 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

The same players that couldn't beat bottom of the league. The same players YOU said were to blame for that.

Good thinking.

or the same players who created chances after chances and with Samuel up front to put them away

8 hours ago, Swanson said:

Why play Nyambe there if Wharton is injury free? Makes no sense. I would also drop Bennett and Williams.

would 2 left footed centre back work? 

6 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

So the exact same team bar Graham?

Not for me. Chapman needs to start instead of Bennett. Downing to center back and Nyambe to right back 

2 changes. Downing and Samuel

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

or the same players who created chances after chances and with Samuel up front to put them away

would 2 left footed centre back work? 

2 changes. Downing and Samuel

Portsmouth will be a different proposition than Plymouth.. Think we're in for a much harder game than our last few matches 

Archived