BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Who should replace TM?

neophox

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd not want Johnson. No experience and would probably be unable to stand up to the agents who run the club. Keane is mental and happy at Ireland. 

It's hard to say who would get us promoted, perhaps guidolin (ex Swansea), Ardley or even Pressley may be better. I'd love O'Neil as in the northern Ireland manager but that will never happen.

I'd be having all the coaching staff in this morning. I'd put Johnno in charge of all team affairs, demote Lowe back to the under 18's and move  Mowbray sideways to running everything else.

I'd tell Johnno he's got whilst the New Year to improve things.

We need someone used to winning who'll get us playing with a smile on our faces. To enjoy being pro footballers. We don't even look like we want to be out there at the moment.

16 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'd be having all the coaching staff in this morning. I'd put Johnno in charge of all team affairs, demote Lowe back to the under 18's and move  Mowbray sideways to running everything else.

I'd tell Johnno he's got whilst the New Year to improve things.

We need someone used to winning who'll get us playing with a smile on our faces. To enjoy being pro footballers. We don't even look like we want to be out there at the moment.

It's a good idea Tyrone but that would come to the detriment of our youth. Johnson is doing a sterling job there with Dunn and I'd rather they continued breeding through those lads with the option of bringing them in at a later date.

*IF* we sack Mowbray and we have to bring in a new manager I'd want him to bring with him his own staff; Lowe shouldn't be within a mile of our team, he's a terrible coach by all accounts. I like the suggestion of the Cowley brothers - young, ambitious and would certainly take notice of Johnson and Dunn's terrific achievements with our youth.

Having a bunch of young lads eager to please, two of them ex Rovers lads, coaching a young and vibrant squad can only breed success. If anything it would be a change from the dross, over the hill, last pay off bunch of chancers we've played home to over the last 7 years.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The first team as to come first in this situation or if we're not careful we'll have the best youth set up in the next division down.

True but I think there's managers out there that can get us promoted whilst leaving Johnson & Dunn in the youth.

That said though I wouldn't sniff my nose up at what you say either. I suppose in that sense it's a good position to be in knowing we have two great youth coaches at hand.

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

True but I think there's managers out there that can get us promoted whilst leaving Johnson & Dunn in the youth.

That said though I wouldn't sniff my nose up at what you say either. I suppose in that sense it's a good position to be in knowing we have two great youth coaches at hand.

I'm not sure about Dunn but I rate Johnno. If his coaching is anything like his playing we won't lack for commitment.

Just now, Madon said:

Tugay currently has his team absolutely flying, albeit in the Turkish 3rd division.. I'd take him!

But this is "survival or bust" season, so if he doesn't hit the ground running, would that be a new manager by Christmas? Same applies to anyone really.

Surely, if there is a discussion on sacking TM, it's only under the proviso we are hiring someone who has recent experience of getting teams out of this league? 

Thus, with venkys - you're almost guaranteed another man with a tarnished reputation, so taking all of this into account- sacking TM at this stage would likely make us LESS likely to be promoted in my eyes.

1 hour ago, martonrover said:

Rather Johnson, (young & hungry), than yet another washed up manager on one last pension top up.

How much experience did Eddie Howe have when he kept Bournemouth in the Football League, before starting their ascent?

We need someone on the way up to build a side.

So how did Kean, Harford, Shakespeare, Lee and the guy who took over from McCarthy at Wolves do? All were coaches who became managers, all failed. Howe is the exception. Johnson has managed a youth team for a year or two and now he's the saviour because he was once a squad player in the late 90s. It is almost like saying you should hire an Italian shoe salesman because they might be the next Arrigo Sacchi. And what if Johnson turns out to be rubbish? Everyone here will be p-ssing and moaning after he doesn't win two games.

I'm sorry for being harsh, but it is not a given that a good coach, or Kean, makes a good manager. And if this season is promotion or death, then I'd rather have someone with at least a few successful seasons behind them. 

Just now, Norbert Rassragr said:

So how did Kean, Harford, Shakespeare, Lee and the guy who took over from McCarthy at Wolves do? All were coaches who became managers, all failed. Howe is the exception. Johnson has managed a youth team for a year or two and now he's the saviour because he was once a squad player in the late 90s. It is almost like saying you should hire an Italian shoe salesman because they might be the next Arrigo Sacchi. And what if Johnson turns out to be rubbish? Everyone here will be p-ssing and moaning after he doesn't win two games.

I'm sorry for being harsh, but it is not a given that a good coach, or Kean, makes a good manager. And if this season is promotion or death, then I'd rather have someone with at least a few successful seasons behind them. 

They were probably saying the same thing on Oldhams board when they appointed a guy with less playing and coaching experience than Johnno. Look how they're playing now.

3 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Is it promotion or death this season? That is merely speculation.

Who was the manager last time we got out of this Division? A novice.

All those guys you have mentioned had been around as coaches for a good while, i.e. Not exactly young and hungry.

Harford had managed Luton Town, (and won the League Cup), and Wimbledon,  and we all know why Kean got the job.

I don't particularly want Johnson, but in my opinion he would have more chance of taking the club forward, (perhaps taking a little time), than another washed up has been.

Ideally, a young manager who has already had some tangible success.

Another short term fix almost certainly will not work, but unfortunately that is probably what we will end up with due to the ignorance of Venky's and Pasha.

Archived