BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Boycott the Barnet FA Cup tie

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Dunnfc said:

Given it's a cup game of little importance would you join a boycott on this gamePB?

No way.  I'm old school - support your club through thick and thin.  No problem with those who want to boycott - and good luck to them if they think it works for them - but it's not something I would ever entertain.

55 minutes ago, broadsword said:

The mind boggles at someone being keen to attend

Yeah it does. I was thinking Chorley v Fleetwood on the same day would be a better day out. We live equidistant from the two grounds. I’ve no doubt we will be at Ewood. 

As for a boycott? Pointless. All opposition to Venkys has disappeared, hardly surprising and I don’t blame anyone. 

4 hours ago, McClarky said:

Absolutely no point boycotting a game hardly anyone will go to anyway, it’ll just be a low gate. Should have boycotted against Man U last year so it would be noticed.

That's the reason for choosing a game like this. You won't persuade folk to miss a Man Utd game but maybe but maybe people can see the benefit of making a statement of a match that they won't find particularly exciting anyway. 

13 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Difficult times and strategy for would- be protesters is not obvious etc, but I know for a fact that this is not the case

Well I’m happy to believe you but from the outside we can see little. 

The new Trust board swept in to office with promises of change. Nothing I’m aware of. 

BRAG seems to have disappeared.

The various individual or small group efforts seem to have dried up. 

I’m not critical, I understand how hard it is for campaigners but the sad reality is the real opportunities were missed several years ago. Consequently the time has passed. Those in the ground won’t protest, those who have left won’t return to protest. 

33 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

No way.  I'm old school - support your club through thick and thin.  No problem with those who want to boycott - and good luck to them if they think it works for them - but it's not something I would ever entertain.

We will all support the club through thick and thin of course and I have no problem with anyone's choices regarding attendance. My fear is that the 'thin' will reduce to nothing before too long and there won't be a club to support. The best way I see of supporting the club is to try and get rid of the owners. Admittedly, our influence may be minute if any at all but we can but try. 

Just now, Crimpshrine said:

That's the reason for choosing a game like this. You won't persuade folk to miss a Man Utd game but maybe but maybe people can see the benefit of making a statement of a match that they won't find particularly exciting anyway. 

You would me I can't stand them you'd have to pay me to watch them for all the tea in China that's 1 game I'd happily sit out.

11 hours ago, Paul said:

Well I’m happy to believe you but from the outside we can see little. 

The new Trust board swept in to office with promises of change. Nothing I’m aware of. 

BRAG seems to have disappeared.

The various individual or small group efforts seem to have dried up. 

I’m not critical, I understand how hard it is for campaigners but the sad reality is the real opportunities were missed several years ago. Consequently the time has passed. Those in the ground won’t protest, those who have left won’t return to protest. 

I am not part of BRAG, but I have been happy to support their activities, when required.

I think BRAG and others have been quite correct not to try public protests at a time, when the general mood has been one of wanting to support TM and the team. These things must be about keeping other fans on side and timing.

Also, I would support more creative methods of "publicising" our situation. Even though the match day is the obvious time, when supporters are in one place, I am not sure the organisers should invest too much of their energy in match day protests. BRAG et al have shown before that other activities have drawn significant media attention.

Re The Trust sweeping into office etc, I am not sure that protest was ever the main brief of that organisation(?). I have certainly received information, reassuring me that things are getting done and that my membership fee was worth it.

15 hours ago, broadsword said:

The mind boggles at someone being keen to attend

I agree with you. Who'd want to pay to watch a crap Rovers play a crap Barnet team in the first round of the FA Cup? It's a waste of time and money, no matter how cheap tickets are.

The club is in a shambles. Boycotting won't change anything. Supporting "through thick and thin" although admirable has to be questioned at some point. Getting excited about watching league 1 dross followed by a match against Barnet is barmy. Turgid football after turgid football cannot be enjoyable.

3 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

I am not part of BRAG, but I have been happy to support their activities, when required.

I think BRAG and others have been quite correct not to try public protests at a time, when the general mood has been one of wanting to support TM and the team. These things must be about keeping other fans on side and timing.

Also, I would support more creative methods of "publicising" our situation. Even though the match day is the obvious time, when supporters are in one place, I am not sure the organisers should invest too much of their energy in match day protests. BRAG et al have shown before that other activities have drawn significant media attention.

Re The Trust sweeping into office etc, I am not sure that protest was ever the main brief of that organisation(?). I have certainly received information, reassuring me that things are getting done and that my membership fee was worth it.

Just wondering, what are the main criticisms of BRAG as an organisation? Know some are opposed to the group but I've yet to see why quite yet?

5 minutes ago, OxSouthernRover said:

Just wondering, what are the main criticisms of BRAG as an organisation? Know some are opposed to the group but I've yet to see why quite yet?

I don't know.Personally, I have nothing but respect for their efforts. Some of the press coverage e.g. New York Times has been brilliant imo.

1 hour ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I agree with you. Who'd want to pay to watch a crap Rovers play a crap Barnet team in the first round of the FA Cup? It's a waste of time and money, no matter how cheap tickets are.

The club is in a shambles. Boycotting won't change anything. Supporting "through thick and thin" although admirable has to be questioned at some point. Getting excited about watching league 1 dross followed by a match against Barnet is barmy. Turgid football after turgid football cannot be enjoyable.

I'd  find it enjoyable then again I'm used to watching amateur football in the local Parks, I'd prefer a blood & thunder game any day of the week compared to real Madrid vs Barcelona. Each to their own.

7 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You are an extremely hard man aren't ya? More than likely a fat lump stuck in front of a computer screen, who wouldn't dare say something like that in real life 

I can vouch for Neal tbf passionate as they come and actually a really great guy. 

3 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

I don't know.Personally, I have nothing but respect for their efforts. Some of the press coverage e.g. New York Times has been brilliant imo.

Yep @pk1875 Paul and Mark Fish maybe able to update the original poster. Again both great lads 

As an earlier poster mentioned it is indeed a difficult time to be actively organising protests etc. BRFCAG hasn't disappeared, maybe not in the public eye as much at present but certainly still active. 

I have been stunned over the last week or two to be approached by work colleagues etc who are long time Rovers fans who saw the Nick Harris videos and where like "Oh god I didn't know that" How there are still Rovers fans who don't know what has happened is unbelievable and something that needs addressing. 

As for a boycott of the Cup game? Would it be noticed? There are those who will attend and those who wont whether a boycott is called or not.

20 hours ago, Crimpshrine said:

That makes no sence at all.  How can it be a boycott if you miss something you don't want to do anyway?  It's like me saying I'm boycotting doing the ironing.

On 18/10/2017 at 14:21, AggyBlue said:

The new F.A. rule about ticket pricing states a minimum of £10 must be charged.

The home club decides the cost of tickets now instead of an agreement between both clubs, as previously used since the 1870's. 

That’s what I thought £10 min,but looks like they can charge different for season ticket holders,Carlisle v Oldham set at £7.50 for season ticket holders.

3 hours ago, McClarky said:

That makes no sence at all.  How can it be a boycott if you miss something you don't want to do anyway?  It's like me saying I'm boycotting doing the ironing.

Not at all. Read the post again slowly!

Nowhere does it mention people not wanting to go anyway.

I said it would be easier to persuade people not to go to this match compared to a match against Man Utd.

People who would normally go and would like to go to the Barnet match but may see the long term benefit of making a sacrifice on this particular occasion.

Despite it being not the most exciting prospect, I would like to go to the match but I won't.  

On 18/10/2017 at 23:24, Crimpshrine said:

Quite right and far from getting folk to boycott Utd the gate would increase. 

On 10/18/2017 at 22:54, Paul said:

Yeah it does. I was thinking Chorley v Fleetwood on the same day would be a better day out. We live equidistant from the two grounds. I’ve no doubt we will be at Ewood. 

As for a boycott? Pointless. All opposition to Venkys has disappeared, hardly surprising and I don’t blame anyone. 

Nothing could be further from the truth. The Ewood Park WMC Supporters Group met for 2 hours last night. :brfc:

37 minutes ago, MCMC1875 said:

Nothing could be further from the truth. The Ewood Park WMC Supporters Group met for 2 hours last night. :brfc:

OK I’ll add a rider to this. All visible opposition to Venkys has disappeared. I’m not criticising just giving my observation. If the EWMC group is active it’s passed me by and I’m interested. For those not interested it must be non-existent. 

The opportunities to unite the fan base, create real protest and opposition were missed several years ago. This for all too obvious reasons for those who were truly interested. Unfortunately this still hangs in the air for many supporters.

Archived